Essay Help (1 Viewer)

Based

HSC
Hey ! Can anyone help me break down and give me ideas on how to answer this essay question. Thanks.

"Discuss how Fritz Lang's Metropolis uses the medium of film to confront his audience with key concerns of his time."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bujolover

HSC
Hey ! Can anyone help me break down and give me ideas on how to answer this essay question. Thanks.

"Discuss how Fritz Lang's Metropolis uses the medium of film to confront his audience with key concerns of his time."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Never heard of this text before, but, ooh, breaking down essay questions. My favourite. :/

Discuss: identify issues and provide points for/against

Medium of film: so you need to reference the film specifically and REALLY kill those film techniques. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT FORGET TO MENTION HOW FILMIC TECHNIQUES/FILMIC MEDIUM HELP HIM CONVEY A MESSAGE (WHATEVER HE'S TRYNA SAY BY CONFRONTING THE AUDIENCE) IN THE THESIS, cos you may accidentally overlook this. It happens. DO NOT JUST SAY HE CONFRONTS THE AUDIENCE. I recommend something like... "Through the effective use of filmic techniques, Lang challenges the societal tendency to segregate people by their socioeconomic class through his expressionist drama film Metropolis". IDK, I (correctly, judging from the plotline) guessed what it's about, and I got the expressionist part from online.

Confront his audience: how Lang challenges/questions/critiques/shocks audience's beliefs/expectations

Key concerns: gotta know your context real good

EDIT: I actually forgot to mention that you also need to reference the context of the text in the thesis as well, cos it's part of the question. I don't know the context well at all, so that's why I just gave a context-free thesis ^^, but hopefully, this shouldn't be too much trouble to insert. Plus, just insert a couple of sentences of context into each paragraph "sneakily" - not abruptly, but find a way to fit it into the rest of your argument. Don't give a history lesson. ;D

All the best! :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)