Is it necessary to have 4 body paragraphs in an essay? (1 Viewer)

trea99

HSC
Hi everyone,
I have an upcoming task (an essay) for Module C - People and Politics and I really don't see myself writing a quality essay with 4 body paragraphs within 40 minutes. My class teacher said something along the lines of "I'd recommend writing 4 body paragraphs, 2 for each text on each idea". We've been given specific questions to focus on, one of which the question on the day will be based on. I've analysed each text for the specified questions but I don't really see scope for 2 different ideas for each text. However, I've been able to write a body paragraph for each text which I think answers the question well (though only presenting a single perspective). Is it really necessary to present two different ideas even when the question doesn't really allow it or doesn't ask to DISCUSS? And is it possible for me to write an equally lengthy essay that answers the question with only 2 body paragraphs and get an A (or a similar mark) as opposed to if I were to write 4 body paragraphs and not answer the question as well (ie less textual evidence).

Sorry for kinda long post
Basically, I want to know if its ok to write 2 body paragraphs so long as you answer the question. Would be appreciated if anyone has tried 2 body paragraphs before and could share their experiences.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Mathew587

HSC
Don't do two body paragraphs. Not only will that look messy you also won't get enough points across to prove your pov. Do 4 body paragraphs as a minimum.

trea99

HSC
Don't do two body paragraphs. Not only will that look messy you also won't get enough points across to prove your pov. Do 4 body paragraphs as a minimum.
Thanks for the reply,
When I say 2 body paragraphs I mean like 400 words each. I get how its messy but I feel like I have sufficient evidence to back up my argument but when I write 4 body paragraphs say 200 words each on two ideas, neither of my ideas are backed up with sufficient evidence especially because the questions (more like statements) were really definitive and the specified related text doesn't have much scope to discuss different perspectives. Should I just split each body paragraph in two even if they're on the same idea. I've done that before and gotten an A even though reading my essay it seems a bit awkward.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks for the reply,
When I say 2 body paragraphs I mean like 400 words each. I get how its messy but I feel like I have sufficient evidence to back up my argument but when I write 4 body paragraphs say 200 words each on two ideas, neither of my ideas are backed up with sufficient evidence especially because the questions (more like statements) were really definitive and the specified related text doesn't have much scope to discuss different perspectives. Should I just split each body paragraph in two even if they're on the same idea. I've done that before and gotten an A even though reading my essay it seems a bit awkward.
By discussing two themes/ideas you're giving a more perceptive and insightful view into the question which is basically required for an A range response and it also shows a deeper understanding and analysis of the text as well as more interpretations. Also it shows different political perspectives or different impacts of political acts.

If you can do 800 words total for body paragraphs surely you can do 4x 200 word body paragraphs for two ideas!

xanthye

HSC
My teachers have always recommended integrating your texts into a single paragraph and having three lines of argument. So basically in each paragraph, you are comparing the two texts and relating them to whatever point you are trying to argue. I generally write three body paragraphs that are around 400 words each.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
My teachers have always recommended integrating your texts into a single paragraph and having three lines of argument. So basically in each paragraph, you are comparing the two texts and relating them to whatever point you are trying to argue. I generally write three body paragraphs that are around 400 words each.
You write really fast, wish I had that writing speed.

Be wary that writing integrated paragraphs is hard and should not be done first time in major exams - practice first.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)