Essay problem (1 Viewer)

highshill

HSC
I love English advanced, but I always find it difficult to start writing I would sit there for hours thinking of what point to write year 12s nearly starting and I don't want to be moved down in standard, I score good marks but thinking require me a lot of time what do I do?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
That's normal, most people when they first write an essay on a new module take a day or a few days to write it and improve it. You're best off just writing something and then after you're done the first draft, improve on those points and then you can either memorise that essay and adapt it in the exam to the question or use it to know what types of points you will write about

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
So how can I get organise myself.
If it was me, I'd start off by finding a generic essay question on that topic and decide a basic theme you want to discuss and then from there try to figure out how you will link it to the module rubric. After that develop a basic topic sentence that addresses both of the above and then improve it with better vocabulary and insight. Lastly, you should find quotes or movie scences that you can use that relate to your theme and show your idea and then it's up to you to analyse them and provide techniques while trying to answer a question.

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Also, I wouldn't worry about word counts just write as much as you want the first time and if you're over by say 200 words from the amount you can write in the exam go back and try to make your arguments more concise and remove any weak analysis you have

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
This is normal and is good. Each paragraph of my first essay took at least 7 hours to complete and most of the time was spent thinking. By the way, I was not distracted during the 7+ hours.

Just keep at it and the brain will adapt. Your thoughts will become more organised and mental clarity will therefore improve as I've experienced. It was like most things were in order and I can search for what I want in my mind.

Slow thinking is not necessarily bad, it usually means your thinking has more depth. If you wish to become a faster thinker, then you just have to force out ideas quickly. It's like adding a little pressure (time constraint) so that your brain doesn't stay in it's comfort zone and think for ages.

But if you wish to becoming a better thinker overall, then I believe you should at least focus on introspection. That is, examining your own thinking. You'll be able to identify the cause of the slowness and fix it to your desire. Of course, this is not easy.

Last edited:

highshill

HSC
but how many body paragraph should we write my teacber says maximum 6 paragraphs for an ideal essay how do i implement that the top ranker in class can do the six paragraph easily, i look her essay now and then for inspiration but it just makes me feel i am not succeeding well enough in advanced english as i cant incorporate six concept i can easily do three or four concept but six is impossible for me. what even more scary is that my teacher says that prelim is where your english sets which is quite true because in year 12 is more of a polishing year, year 11 nearly over can i still incorporate the six concepts.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I did 3-4, writing 6 is too much and probably means the paragraphs are not in depth and more just at a face value analysis. Although quantity is important after you are at like 900+ words, the hsc markers don't care and just look at the quality of the essay

highshill

HSC
okay so what do you prefer 3 paragraphs for 3 analytical concepts or 4 pargraphs for 4 analytical concepts

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
okay so what do you prefer 3 paragraphs for 3 analytical concepts or 4 pargraphs for 4 analytical concepts
Just do 4 body paragraphs for 2 texts or if you're doing a set of poems/speeches you can do 3 body paragraphs (1 per poem). 6 is pretty impossible in 40 minutes unless your analysis is low quality as jazz519 said.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I'd normally do 4 with 2 for each text, but it depends if you are integrating texts in one paragraph in which case 3 is prefrereable since 4 paragraphs would be a lot of words since integrated paragraphs are usually longer in word count.

highshill

HSC
I totally understand what you guys are trying to tell m even i find it impossible to cope with the six. but i always get marked down for not writing 6 concepts so sadly i have to train myself for 6 otherwise i would get marked down, which i cant afford to loose any since the hsc is 50 per cent of your school internal mrks ny tips to manage six and i cant move to another advanced class because their is only one class and if i drop to standard the cohorts grade are really low so i would be scaled down.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I totally understand what you guys are trying to tell m even i find it impossible to cope with the six. but i always get marked down for not writing 6 concepts so sadly i have to train myself for 6 otherwise i would get marked down, which i cant afford to loose any since the hsc is 50 per cent of your school internal mrks ny tips to manage six and i cant move to another advanced class because their is only one class and if i drop to standard the cohorts grade are really low so i would be scaled down.
I guess for ur school assessments just do 6 since your teacher wants that and then when hsc comes I would choose the best 2/3 for each text and make them a little longer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)