How to memorise an essay?? (1 Viewer)

mini8658

HSC
N/A
Hey so I know there's a bit of a debate whether writing an essay to a predicted exam question beforehand and then memorising it is good for you or not. (And there are both valid pointers on both sides of the debate). But for now, I think there are definite advantages to memorising an essay, or at least having some idea/plan/eloquent way of wording things already in your head prior exam is beneficial, so that's the way I'm doing it. (aka dont spam this thread with pointless posts criticising rote learning essays)

So anyway, how would you go about memorising an essay? I'm just really confused because an essay is a thesis answering the question with body paragraphs supporting the thesis right? So how does one actually write an essay in preparation for an exam question when they don't know the question asked? You wouldn't be able to formulate a thesis or come up with body paragraphs or get evidence from the text? Unless you include writing multiple essays in preparation for different predicted questions and then memorising it? But then you can only memorise so many essays well, and what if the exam doesn't ask you a question you've prepared for? Just a little help because I literally have no idea where to start (im fucked LOL). Do most people come up with a thesis, and body paragraphs/evidence already, but just redefine the question given in the exam to match their thesis, or insert the question from the exam into their introduction somewhere?? I'm so confused ://

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
You should write a generic sort of thesis and then in the exam try to link the question to it. Memorising is a good way to do good in English but you have to be able to adapt the prepared essay while in an exam situation which might take some practice.

If you base your essay on the rubric for the module, your essay should always be able to be adapted to any exam q since teachers often take key phrases or topics from the rubric to make an exam q. It might not be explicitly linked to the q straight away but there is always a way to show the question through your essay, but being able to do that is hard which is why you need to practice at it, if you're not a natural at English.

But say even in the case your essay doesn't link that well to the question, you still have all ur quotes and analysis memorised which means you can still write a decent essay on the spot.

In terms of actual memorising instead if trying to remember paragraphs at a time, you should do it sentence by sentence, and after a few sentences write it out a few times until it sticks in your head and repeat that for the rest of the essay, that also helps improve your writing speed

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)