confusion of module c (1 Viewer)

zeee1999

HSC
we did the crucible and in my trial exam for paper 2 my marks were
Mod A: 19/20
Mod B:18/20
Mod C: 17/20

i was aware as i was writing my mod C essay that it was going to be the one with the lowest mark but the teachers feedback said "Focus on representation as a process" as i completely forgot to ask about it can someone explain what is meant by that??

Haramsnackpack

HSC
Most likely your essay focused more on the module topic e.g. people/politics, people/landscape, rather than the overarching concept of representation. Make sure after your topic sentence in each paragraph you explain WHY the author represents (idea of topic sentence) and link it back to the author's context, life experiences, personal beliefs, prejudices/bias, or motivations. For example: Miller in his play 'The Crucible' represents authoritative abuse by creating an allegory of the Salem Witch Trials in order to (motivation) evoke cynicism Cold war audiences towards the fear-mongering American government (context).

zeee1999

HSC
Most likely your essay focused more on the module topic e.g. people/politics, people/landscape, rather than the overarching concept of representation. Make sure after your topic sentence in each paragraph you explain WHY the author represents (idea of topic sentence) and link it back to the author's context, life e:mad2:xperiences, personal beliefs, prejudices/bias, or motivations. For example: Miller in his play 'The Crucible' represents authoritative abuse by creating an allegory of the Salem Witch Trials in order to (motivation) evoke cynicism Cold war audiences towards the fear-mongering American government (context).
the question was a aung san suu kyi quote "It is not power that corrupts but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it and fear of the scourge of power corrupts those who are subject to it." our teacher never really told us to focus a lot on the actual concept of representation but said like a couple of sentences about it could be enough

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
You should be thinking about how quotes or key scenes in your texts are being manipulated by their respective author to achieve a certain representation. This is a line of argument that has to definitely be embedded in your essay rather than a flimsy statement, that being said you should be looking to have your whole essay address the idea of representation achieving meaning constantly!

You'll find the process of analyzing should be funneled down as follows:

Political Event > Author's Manipulation > Comment on Human Nature/Comment on Politics

zeee1999

HSC
You should be thinking about how quotes or key scenes in your texts are being manipulated by their respective author to achieve a certain representation. This is a line of argument that has to definitely be embedded in your essay rather than a flimsy statement, that being said you should be looking to have your whole essay address the idea of representation achieving meaning constantly!

You'll find the process of analyzing should be funneled down as follows:

Political Event > Author's Manipulation > Comment on Human Nature/Comment on Politics
this is one of my topic sentences that i put to kind of discuss that "The allegorical nature of the play emphasises Millers motive to artistically demonstrate the impact McCarthy’s baseless allegations had on individual reputation, just as many did not wish to associate the accused , those within Salem were similarly ostracised or murdered for their supposed engagement with Witchery" would that suffice?? but obvs with every paragraph

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
this is one of my topic sentences that i put to kind of discuss that "The allegorical nature of the play emphasises Millers motive to artistically demonstrate the impact McCarthy’s baseless allegations had on individual reputation, just as many did not wish to associate the accused , those within Salem were similarly ostracised or murdered for their supposed engagement with Witchery" would that suffice?? but obvs with every paragraph
I'd probably be more direct as to what is the possible comment on politics, you do go into more story telling than you do analysis.

You need to think about whether there was a thirst for power, a need to persuade the public, a manipulation of the truth --> basically anything political. You do say individual reputation but in what light? Is it how they are viewed by the populace and then for what reason would they want to appear a certain way?

Your second half of the sentence is best to be included in a new sentence alltogether and focus this topic sentence on really getting to the crux of political representation.

zeee1999

HSC
I'd probably be more direct as to what is the possible comment on politics, you do go into more story telling than you do analysis.

You need to think about whether there was a thirst for power, a need to persuade the public, a manipulation of the truth --> basically anything political. You do say individual reputation but in what light? Is it how they are viewed by the populace and then for what reason would they want to appear a certain way?

Your second half of the sentence is best to be included in a new sentence alltogether and focus this topic sentence on really getting to the crux of political representation.
well reputation in terms of how Proctor places such a importance on it and how essentially his obsession with his own name and reputation ultimately leads to his death (his hamartia) + his unwillingness to perpetuate the institutional power of the church and end a cycle of organisational dominance i thought about linking this to how politics can either liberate or hinder individuals. This module will be the death of me :mad3:

Last edited:

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
well reputation in terms of how Proctor places such a importance on it and how essentially his obsession with his own name and reputation ultimately leads to his death (his hamartia) + his unwillingness to perpetuate the institutional power of the church and end a cycle of organisational dominance i thought about linking this to how politics can either liberate or hinder individuals. This module will be the death of me :mad3:
You definitely should emphasis the last bit 'politics can either liberate or hinder individuals' in your topic sentence and try and expand on this point and particularly why an author like Miller would want to convey this point (i.e. teach us about human nature).

Then you could have a second sentence expanding more on how it occurs in the text.

You'll be fine! I hope this information helps

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)