Thesis Statements? (1 Viewer)

sarkar_as

HSC
I'm confused do you only have to include a thesis statement in your intro?

or would u include them at the start of each body paragraph as well cause i think i remember my teacher talking about it

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
You're confusing a thesis statement and a topic sentence. Thesis statement should directly answer the question and be related to the rubric, which is then followed by an introduction of the texts and within that the types of ideas you will talk about in your body paragraphs.

An example of the thesis bit to the 2016 HSC question (To what extent do the texts you have studied reveal both the emotional and intellectual responses provoked by the experience of discovering?), would be 'The impact of the unexpected nature of discovery, can be far-reaching and transformative by challenging an individual’s perceptions and ideas. In the process provoking emotional and intellectual responses that provide individuals with a unique lens of perspective, leading to renewed and intensely meaningful understandings of oneself and the encompassing world.'

So as you can see it links to the question (uses words and ideas from it), expands on it (adding some of the ideas I will talk about later) and links to the rubric (use of phrases and words from it)

Following that you would introduce your texts and say to what extent the statement is true. So be careful of the verb on the essay. If it says to what extent or something similar like evaluate like the 2016 HSC question you must provide a judgement such as to a great extent, significant extent, some extent etc. (this is should at least be in your intro and conclusion and a few times throughout the essay, don't have to use those exact words every time but it should show your stance on the question if you support it's argument or disagree with it - either is fine, just have to support it with evidence from the text).

The topic sentence is like introducing an idea (should be an expansion of one of the 2 ideas you listed for each text in the intro, 2nd idea will be ur 2nd topic sentence) within the text that you are going to specifically discuss that paragraph, such as saying like for discovery 'The Motorcycle Diaries, portrays that discovery can facilitate transformative ideological shifts, however, it requires a catalyst evoked by curiosity, necessity or wonder.' The best topic sentences link to the question by using synonyms of the words from the question (ideological referring to emotional and intellectual, provoking - needing a catalyst) and incorporate some part of the rubric (that's pretty evident from all the words I used from it) and a solid theme from the text

the important thing though is whatever you write as your thesis or topic sentence, whatever follows MUST link to that starting sentence, many people just answer the question in the thesis and then go on and write something completely unrelated and then the last sentence of that paragraph just try to drop in 'this is why it answers the q'. It should be evident throughout the essay that it is based off the question (this is the difficult part about memorising and adapting essays and why some teachers and students say that memorising isn't good).

Last edited:

sarkar_as

HSC
You're confusing a thesis statement and a topic sentence. Thesis statement should directly answer the question and be related to the rubric, which is then followed by an introduction of the texts and within that the types of ideas you will talk about in your body paragraphs.

An example of the thesis bit to the 2016 HSC question (To what extent do the texts you have studied reveal both the emotional and intellectual responses provoked by the experience of discovering?), would be 'The impact of the unexpected nature of discovery, can be far-reaching and transformative by challenging an individual’s perceptions and ideas. In the process provoking emotional and intellectual responses that provide individuals with a unique lens of perspective, leading to renewed and intensely meaningful understandings of oneself and the encompassing world.'

So as you can see it links to the question (uses words and ideas from it), expands on it (adding some of the ideas I will talk about later) and links to the rubric (use of phrases and words from it)

Following that you would introduce your texts and say to what extent the statement is true. So be careful of the verb on the essay. If it says to what extent or something similar like evaluate like the 2016 HSC question you must provide a judgement such as to a great extent, significant extent, some extent etc. (this is should at least be in your intro and conclusion and a few times throughout the essay, don't have to use those exact words every time but it should show your stance on the question if you support it's argument or disagree with it - either is fine, just have to support it with evidence from the text).

The topic sentence is like introducing an idea (should be an expansion of one of the 2 ideas you listed for each text in the intro, 2nd idea will be ur 2nd topic sentence) within the text that you are going to specifically discuss that paragraph, such as saying like for discovery 'The Motorcycle Diaries, portrays that discovery can facilitate transformative ideological shifts, however, it requires a catalyst evoked by curiosity, necessity or wonder.' The best topic sentences link to the question by using synonyms of the words from the question (ideological referring to emotional and intellectual, provoking - needing a catalyst) and incorporate some part of the rubric (that's pretty evident from all the words I used from it) and a solid theme from the text

the important thing though is whatever you write as your thesis or topic sentence, whatever follows MUST link to that starting sentence, many people just answer the question in the thesis and then go on and write something completely unrelated and then the last sentence of that paragraph just try to drop in 'this is why it answers the q'. It should be evident throughout the essay that it is based off the question (this is the difficult part about memorising and adapting essays and why some teachers and students say that memorising isn't good).
wow thank you for that detailed explanation it really helps

sarkar_as

HSC

also do u think including a quote in the conclusion would be good just to provide evidence for ur judgement? or would u just leave quotes to provide evidence in ur body paragraphs and include no quotes in ur conclusion?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
also do u think including a quote in the conclusion would be good just to provide evidence for ur judgement? or would u just leave quotes to provide evidence in ur body paragraphs and include no quotes in ur conclusion?
Leave quotes in the body paragraphs. The conclusion should be like a few sentences summing up your arguments and answering the question

Sp3ctre

HSC
Tbh I wouldn't include any quotes in the conclusion, I don't find it necessary to do so and I remember handing in a draft with a quote in my conclusion - my teacher advised against it. Apparently some teachers are fussed about the idea that whenever you introduce a quote, you NEED to analyse it. Given that you shouldn't be introducing any new ideas in your conclusion, quotes wouldn't be such a good idea if they expect you to analyse it further. Besides, quotes should be put in your body paragraphs where its role is already to provide evidence for your points.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Tbh I wouldn't include any quotes in the conclusion, I don't find it necessary to do so and I remember handing in a draft with a quote in my conclusion - my teacher advised against it. Apparently some teachers are fussed about the idea that whenever you introduce a quote, you NEED to analyse it. Given that you shouldn't be introducing any new ideas in your conclusion, quotes wouldn't be such a good idea if they expect you to analyse it further. Besides, quotes should be put in your body paragraphs where its role is already to provide evidence for your points.
I'd agree probably best not to conclude with a quote in Engrish.

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
for Module B you have the opportunity to provide critical material which could come in the form of a quote from a philosopher or literary academic in the conclusion, other than that I wouldn't quote from the text.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)