Tips for timed conditions (1 Viewer)

ayanes

HSC
I am one of the select few who choose not to memorise an essay during the exam and am struggling to write in 40 minutes the same quality essay as I would without timed conditions. Any tips for the exam?
Thanks in advance

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
I am one of the select few who choose not to memorise an essay during the exam and am struggling to write in 40 minutes the same quality essay as I would without timed conditions. Any tips for the exam?
Thanks in advance
Just write whatever you're thinking of, they know it's hard to write a top notch essay in 40 mins so all good

zeee1999

HSC
Thanks in advance
if you read past band 6 responses from the exams not all of them make 100% sense , infact from the many ive read theres bits that are somewhat incoherent but bostes or whatever do understand that you are limited in time , theyre not expecting a ground breaking Phd level analysis. try to have a solid introduction because it is the first thing they read

Last edited:

Sxerks3

HSC
From what my tutor has told me, they particularly pay attention to your introduction and topic sentences. Try to perfect those, while not giving terrible body paragraphs (but it doesn't have to be "in-depth"), and you should be all set.

zeee1999

HSC
Thank you so much guys !
i'd also recommend writing a couple of practise intros today , for discovery try to come up with a thoughtful definition for it to put as your first sentence thats what im doing

ayanes

HSC
I'll be sure to do that today:) would you recommend using left over time from the short answers to plan for the essay?

zeee1999

HSC
I'll be sure to do that today:) would you recommend using left over time from the short answers to plan for the essay?
totally if thats what works for you!personally i wouldnt , i use the reading time to kind of multitask by giving myself like 15 seconds to think about the essay and the rest to read the questions/texts but having time in a English exam is a rare thing , while the essay bit is a harder to gain marks in dont forget all three sections are worth the same amount.

ayanes

HSC
Yes, its hard to keep in mind that they are all worth the same! Ok, I will take into account all these things, Thankyou again and best of luck for tomorow :)

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I'd pay close attention to the clock, i.e. at 10 minutes you should have written your intro + first two sentences of body 1 etc.

If you're able to give yourself deadlines you can actually start thinking on your feet a little more and adjust so you don't end up 'not finishing'. There's nothing wrong with adjusting the length of your essay just to make sure you properly conclude.

I spent time doing a practice run of my essay and I just looked at the clock at specific moments (when finishing a paragraph) and see how long it took me. That way I just used it as a guiding factor in the exam room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)