Tips on how to adapt an essay to the question? (1 Viewer)

30june2016

HSC
Uni Grad
I think this would depend on how 'flexible' your essay is and how often you practice adapting to different types of questions
^^^^ this

Also, here are some things to look out for when practising/trying to adapt (would highly recommend that you practise this - even writing it out in dotpoint/brainstorm format is fine if you're too lazy/no time to write out essay):

- Find key places in your topic sentences/thesis statement/introduction to text sentences/conclusion or linking sentences where you can add words, or change certain terms --> MAKE SURE IT MAKES SENSE, AND THAT IT FITS, AND THAT IT ANSWERS THE QUeSTION!!!!!

e.g. If the question was about impact of technology on society over time, I would change my topic sentences this way:

[Original Topic Sentence] Through a consideration of the warnings presented by historical texts, the heightened oppression of the masses as a consequence of leaders gaining increased control of society is unveiled. [Idk man I made the topic sentence on the spot so probs doesnt make sense much]

[Manipulated Topic Sentence] Through a consideration of the warnings presented by historical texts, the heightened oppression of the masses as a consequence of leaders gaining increased control of a technologically advancing society is unveiled.

^^^ see? by adding those words I addressed the question, whilst still maintaining control over the substance of my prepared essay i.e. i still get to talk about my original idea (which didn't talk abotu technology much in the first place)

How to practise/prepare for curveball questions?

Get a list of themes, themes that seem out of the box as well, e.g. gender roles, abuse of power, chaos and order, greed etc (heaps on google) and try and brainstorm ways to answer the q/practice manipulating your topic sentences

--> also prepare extra quotes JIC yours dont work, know their impact and the context of your quotes as well

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)