Thread: Intergates paragraphs vs seperate

HSC

Intergates paragraphs vs seperate

My teachers are adamant about doing integrated paragraphs relating both texts to an idea/theme etc. What do you think of this?
    HSC 2018

English Adv | MX1 | MX2 | Phys | Chem | Eco

ATAR AIM: 92.00+

HSC

Re: Intergates paragraphs vs seperate

I would do them separately. If you can do it successfully separately:
    A). You can avoid wasting words and using poor expression trying to link texts and ideas
    B). Your response becomes clearer and easier for markers to interpret and give you marks for
    C). Most importantly, if you isolate texts into different paragraphs and do it well (let's say A range) the core ideas should be identical ( just how they are portrayed + contextual influence will be different) and the markers can see that you have an underlying thesis with self-evident links. This shows that you have thought out + planned your response and adds some flair.

Cadet
    HSC

There is no advantage in doing either, simply do which one you feel most confident with. My teacher was a Senior HSC marker for AOS and she said they did not care at the marking centre. I did separate and still received 14/15 and 15/15 internally and presumably high in the HSC.
    HSC 2017 - 99.85 Business Studies (97) Modern History (96) SORII (96) English Advanced (95) Economics (94) Mathematics Extension I (47) Mathematics (94)

HSC

I did separate in the HSC got a 97 HSC mark, some other people have done integrated and done well too. English teachers in some schools are really teaching poorly and therefore students are wasting time on pointless things like finding the perfect set out of an essay (which doesn't exist as there are many different approaches, as unlike maths English is a subject about interpretation rather than one answer being the correct one). Instead of putting an emphasis on the analysis, the originality of the ideas, writing flow, vocabulary etc. basically all the important things HSC markers look for, they stress on small things that are largely meaningless such as forcing their students to do integrated paragraphs, write a certain amount of words for the intro, making them do a set amount of body paragraphs, basically telling them if you don't write 1200+ you will get a poor mark. These things at the end I mentioned all play some part in your final mark but for the most part not really anything that is going to change an essay from a 14 to 18, like the first list of things I stated that teachers and by extension HSC students should be focusing on.
    99.70 Notes + Free Technique Sheet: http://tinyurl.com/jazz519notes
    Tutoring: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...sics-94-a.html
    2015 - 2U (Accelerated) (96)
    2016 - Eng Adv(97) | Chem(93) | 2U(98) | 3U(48) | Phys(94) | Bus(94)
    ATAR: 99.70 Dux

2017 - UNSW Adv. Science (Hons) (Chem) (AAA scholarship & The Late Stephen Robjohns Science Scholarship)
    Chem, Maths, English Tutor

Thread Information