Assignment help!!! (1 Viewer)

Aviator_13

HSC
Hey guys!

So, have an assignment that's due in week 9 (currently week 3), and in that assignment we are literally allowed to do anything but it has to be a creative piece. I have chosen to do a short story which has a limit of 800 words. If any of you can suggest a good story line that would be great. **Remember i only have 800 words**.

fires

HSC
N/A
do it about something you like and/or enjoy as well as having a lot of knowledge about.

Last edited:

DM_10

HSC
Uni Grad
something really dramatic or kind of cliche (even tho cliche storylines aren't liked that much it meets some criteria). Also what fires said

fires

HSC
N/A
something really dramatic or kind of cliche (even tho cliche storylines aren't liked that much it meets some criteria). Also what fires said
in the marking criteria people lose marks for originality by doing cliched stories

note to op: don’t do anything about taboo topics ie suicide, murder, gore, rape, terrorism etc

tklawl

HSC
N/A
The best stories are often those which are authentic in nature - that is, anecdotal. I'd suggest doing something that you've personally experienced or something you know very well. Put in the effort to develop something amazing so you can bring it on into your HSC.

My story was incredibly cliche (young girl w/ bad dad plays music --> dad tries to be good, turns out being bad in the end, but the girl finds strength in the good moments that she experienced w/ him and lives those experiences through a piano), but I received really good marks throughout the year because of how realistic it was (despite me not being a girl and not playing music - I did a BUNCH of research).

I find the simpler stories packed with meaningful utilisation of language that SHOW and DO NOT TELL get the better marks. I was told by a past senior HSC marker that you should try not to be explicit in what you present to markers - you need to trust that they will understand the complexities of your story. That said, endings should never be "in your face", but should be completely up to interpretation.

All said and done (I know I went waaaaaay off topic here), do something you've experienced, something you know well, or something that is close to you.

I went with a coming of age story (that DID NOT link to schoolyard politics in any way), because all markers (despite being way older) know what it feels like to be disappointed, happy, relieved, innocent, etc (or have children that may relate to the same situation). Find a medium that symbolically/metaphorically presents your idea. Yet again, do not be explicit and do not utilise any taboo ideas.

Perhaps you relive a moment of your childhood where you felt an unrivalled intensity that changed your perception of the world - exaggerate it 3 folds and pack it with beautiful imagery and other techniques). I'm also going to assume you're in year 11 too - don't be afraid of making multiple drafts... get these all marked and continue working towards synthesising a story that will get you 15/15.

DM_10

HSC
Uni Grad
I feel u should trust fires and tklawl with this, they know what theyre talking about. For one of my drafts i wrote about how naruto was depressed about jiraiyas death and all i did was change the names and focus on narutos memories and emotions, another draft consisted of westbrook hitting a buzzer beater over KD (this was when KD dogged OKC). Neither storylines were favoured by my teacher lol. IMO they wouldve been best sellers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)