Peter Skrzynecki NOTES???? (1 Viewer)

SuperNova

Anyone have P.S notes?
I'm having problem understanding his poetry
i understand what he is trying to bring out but having trouble relating it to "Changing perspectives"

Lozza_mc

Originally posted by SuperNova
Anyone have P.S notes?
I'm having problem understanding his poetry
i understand what he is trying to bring out but having trouble relating it to "Changing perspectives"
hey buddy,
i did P.S and i understand most of it...if u have msn add me
lozza_mc@hotmail.com and we can talk otherwise leave me a message here and ill figure something out.
ttfn , ta ta for now

SuperNova

Hey thanks for that
i've added you, when u usually on?
i've done crossing the red sea , understand that pretty well
having trouble with post card, 10 mary street and felix s
i dont think i'll do chronic ward, migrant hostel or kornelia cos i just dont understand them one bit (unless you could convince me)

thanks

Morgues

I didnt bother with chronic ward and migrant hostel

I suggest you learn the kornelia one as its a good one to tie in with Feliks Skrzynecki and it has a lot of imagery/similes/metaphors etc that make it a good one to talk about

There are a couple of different views you can take on the change in perspective however I think the easiest one is that kornelia and peter are becoming estranged and distant from each other due to Peter growing up and her not being able to let go of the past just like Feliks , as a result of the cold bond Kornelia's perspective on motherhood has changed as she has expected a warm relationship with her son yet is witnessing "children who forget you before you are dead"

Other good quotes to use are

"As if hands were dragging the depths of a swamp in search of her lost son"

"cherish what you inherit at birth"

"having one child is like having one eye in your head"

then there is some effective nature imagery throughout the poem that symbolise the cold relationship + the change in perspective

hope this helps

Lozza_mc

hey,
just thought i would let you know that u can do an over view of how P.S deals with change with examples from a couple of poems or you can do 2-3 in depth. thats what they told us at my skool anyways! duno if thats a help or not! good luck
:)
Originally posted by SuperNova
hey morgues

just wanna ask if anyone knows how many poems we suppose to talk about in the hsc

SuperNova

2-3??? why do we have to do a collection of poems
thats a lot 40min is not enough for like 2-3 own text, 1 stimulus booklet and 2-3 skrzynecki

thats like 5 sentence for each

Morgues

you need to do 2 skrzynecki poems as a minimum in depth and preferrably briefly a third one which i never have enough time to do
then you need 1 stimulus booklet, 2 related material and conclusion/introduction

i usually spend 1 hour on this one and 30 on the creative writing thing that you can cut off at basically any time

the language thing only takes about 30 mins as well as long as the 3 texts they give you arent thousands of words

Christine

beige member
HSC
i was told to do 4 poems......
i worked out if i have 8 texts - 4 skrzynecki poems, bos text and 2 related texts. and i have about 35 mins to write an essay i need 5 mins to plan, 5 mins to edit - i can only spend a little over 3 minutes on each text!!!
i'm thinking i'm not going to be editing !!

Morgues

4??
How much detail do you go into? probably manageable if your a fast writer though
I am planning

2 skrzynecki poems - 15 mins
stimulus - 7 mins
2 related material - about 15 mins
conclusion/introduction - about 5-8 mins

Christine

beige member
HSC
i'm currently trying to come up with a generic succinct essay that i can replicate in the exam. i would do 2 poems but i'm scared that u need to have more......
i don't want to loose marks over a stupid thing like that.

T

timbk2

you will not need more than 2.

last year.. they kept telling us to do at least 3 poems .

not once in an actuall paper were we asked to write about more than 2. with the time that we were allocated, its impossible to write about 3. so dont worry about it at all.
just study your arse off for 2.

there isnt much possiblity that they will select the poems to study either.. nkow them all... but really briefly. dont waste time studying useless stuff

Morgues

Can they specify which poems to talk about? If they do that tomorrow.........I am totally screwed

Lozza_mc

not in depth they cant...just know roughly wot happens in each...but it is very unlikely!
Originally posted by Morgues
Can they specify which poems to talk about? If they do that tomorrow.........I am totally screwed

shazza

hey guys does anyone have any good P.S stuff they could send me. I am sooooo screwed my trials are tomorrow and i got no idea what im doing
if you do could u send it to my email. its
shazzarino@yahoo.com.au

Lozza_mc

IMMIGRANT CHRONICAL

Change over all poems:
These poems deal with the changes incurred by a family who moved from Germany to Australia after WW2. These changes included: change in language, culture, home, friends and finding work.

Feliks Skrzynecki
Feliks was Peters step father and had earned great respect from him family.
This poem is a tribute to the working class man.

Changes:
The first 4 stanzas of Feliks is shown as a labourer, after this he is shown as the teacher.
Child becoming more assimilated, forgetting Polish history.
The father has to accept that change in his son and even though he can see the change occurring dumb prophet he has to allow it to happen: watched me pegging me tents further and further south of Hadrians wall
The father and son have grown up in different word have different perspectives as a result.
The poets perspective changes growing older
Causes of change: war, illness, physical growth, migration.
Resistance to change: father no learning eng, attempts to keep culture in son.
Consequences of change: adapt and be content, resist and be discontent

Tools used:
Personal pronouns my
Simile loved his garden like an only child
Alliteration minds making
Exaggeration ten tines around the world
Word choice they dug cancer out of his foot
After all the father has been through (WW2, labour camp, cancer) established in the 1st 4 stanzas. It seems ironic that the father has a positive outlook when the clerk (stanza 5) is so annoyed by something as small as a mans inability to speech English. The juxtaposition of these 2 characters father/clerk makes the father seem a more noble character.

Quotes:
At thirteen/....i forgot my first polish word.

After that, like a dumb prophet,/ watched me pegging my tents/ further and further sound of Hadrians Wall.

Did your father ever attempt to learn English?

Crossing the Red Sea
This is a poem about the boat trip from Europe to Australia and how the immigrants finally found confidants on the boat, people who had been through the same thing, suffered in similar ways and they were also people they werent going to see again so there was no awkwardness between them. It allowed them to discuss how they felt and to change the stagnant ways they had become accustomed to. It is also a poem about the physical change that the boat trip brought about.

Changes
The poem shows the process of changing worlds as the family goes from Europe to Australia.
The immigrants perspectives change as they move from somewhere familiar to a new place.
The poem looks at the different perspectives of the different passengers and how they are feeling.
There is a change in the immigrants because they are able to share their war stories and no longer be stagnant but be refreshed.

Tools used:
Allusion to the red sea in the bible......leaving for the promised land.
Personal pronoun I remember a field of red poppies...
Metaphor of time waving red banners in solute.

Quotes:
...Or to watch a sunset/ They would never see again..

..Memories strayed/ From behind sunken eyes...

Daybreak took away / The magic of dreams...

Migrant Hostel
This is a poem that was written about the stay in the migrant hostel. About the conditions, about how it felt to be there and how everything functioned. This poem really emphasises the need to be constantly adaptable to change.

Changes:
The realisation that when they left they would have to change, they had to leave old ways behind them that had only begun or were dying..
The people in the hostel were always moving in and out so there was the need to be flexible and adaptable to regular change. arrivals of newcomers in bus loads from the station, sudden departures from adjoining blocks that left us wondering who would be coming next
The viewers perspective changes by the end of the poem, we know what it is like to be there.

Tools used:
Simile of the homing pigeon to describe the situation where nationalities sort each other out for the sake of security.
Symbolism of the boom gate at the entrance emphasising their feelings of being cut off and lonely.
Personal pronoun we lived like birds of passage..

Quotes:
Sudden departures from adjoining blocks/ That left us wondering / Who would be coming next.

...lives/ That had only begun / Or were dying.

10 Mary Street
This is a poem that describes the house where the author grew up. It also explains the daily routines of the family and gives the reader a true insight into their lives.

Changes:
The main change in this poem is that the family had lived in the house for 19 years in a stable environment that remembered Poland was then re-zoned for industry so their house was to be pulled down. By this stage they had been naturalised and were Australian citizens so they have the key to the country just no home.
They had to leave their home that contained many memories and a museum of things from Poland.
Even though the house is gone the family is still there and will still have memories, this shows that even though change occurs the family sticks together.
The readers can see the changes in society from the time the poet was small till now when they left the key under a bucket.
The house was a place where they could adapt to change slowly. They were in Australia but still had some comforts of Poland around them making the transition easier.

Tools used:
Hyperbole e.g. little boy eating strawberries until he was bursting out of his uniform
Smile e.g. tended roses and camellias like adapted children.
Personal pronoun we departed my parents
Changing tense, from past to present then back to past.
Nostalgic tone of stanzas 4 and 5
Personification - the house stands in its china blue coat
Juxta-position of the well oiled lock with the key under the rusty bucket

Quotes:
For nineteen years /We lived together...

The whole block / has been gazetted for industry

...kept pre-war Europe alive/ With photographs and letters...

Naturalised more/ Than a decade ago...

We became citizens of the soil / that was feeding us...

inheritors of a key/ thatll open no house/ when this one is pulled down.

Post Card
About Peter searching for his identity.

Changes:
The postcard that is sent provokes him to think about who he is, his perspective changes.
He has to search for his identity with a polish dad, Ukrainian mother and was living in Australia. The picture on the front of the postcard promises answers for him if he returned to Poland.
The poet will have to move out of his comfort zone to accept his heritage this will be a change for him.
The poet is a victim of change and its consequences. The war that caused the change of migration and the migration itself was change.
The poets perspective ill have to change to achieve peace of mind.
The way his parents remember Poland is how it used to be, it is a change from what they left behind.

Tools used:
Personal pronoun me
Personification of Warsaw in Poland.
Structure use of three short words to indicate importance of let me be

Quotes:
Warsaw, Old Town, / i never knew you...

my father / will be proud/ of your domes and towers, /my mother/ will speak of her beloved Ukraine./ whats my choice/ to be?

we will meet / before you die.

Kornelia Woloszczuk
This poem is a tribute to the authors mother.

Change:
Peoples past effects or colours their view of the present, the past changes peoples perspective
His mother has failed to come to terms with the changes in her life in a positive way.
The poets perspective has changed since he was a young boy. Before he felt guilty now he understands her and respects her.
She has put up an emotional barrier as a result of the emotional changes in her life.

Tools used:
metaphor the darkness of storms
similes
word choice
natural words, linked to nature / mother nature.

Quotes:

...In search / of her lost son.

being / her only child / where did I go wrong?

having only one child / is like having / one eye in your head.

Chronic Ward:
This was inspired when the author read one flew over the cook cooks nest. It may also reflect time his mother may have spent in hospitals due to depression.

Changes:
The changing perspective of medical treatment, lobotomies now illegal.
The changed perspective of how we treat patients, now we treat them like people.
The readers perspective changes after reading about the harsh reality of the chronic ward.

Tools used:
Personal pronoun we
Metaphor short cuts the moon takes cross our eyes
Oxymoron nites waking

Quotes:
Every time someone falters, / slips or dies in mid-air/ we count to ten before taking a breath...

sometimes one of us / makes it sees Buddha / or Jesus Christ

Mostly we talk about / the past and how we got here...

Originally posted by shazza
hey guys does anyone have any good P.S stuff they could send me. I am sooooo screwed my trials are tomorrow and i got no idea what im doing
if you do could u send it to my email. its
shazzarino@yahoo.com.au

shazza

:) thankyou soooooooo much. you are an absolute legend.
if its not to much trouble could some one also help me with what kinda supp material i should get. so far i got a movie and i kno i need 2 more but i neva know how to relate nething to changing perspectives. anyone got any poems or songs or articles etc that they recommend

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)