assessment...yikes! (1 Viewer)

Abtari

HSC
hey guys...i was just wondering if u guys have any suggestions for how i should structure my response for the essay question on speeches:

What makes a "good" speech?

J

jhakka

Introduction:
- First sentence or two should comment about the number of aspects of a good speech.
- One sentence where each aspect you wish to discuss is listed.

Body:
- Take a paragraph or two for each aspect, discussing why they are good.
- Make sure the body is balanced. Don't do five paragraphs for one area, and one for another.

Conclusion:
- Sum up what you said.
- List what you believe makes a good speech.
- Conclusive sentence.

I didn't do speeches, so I can't be more detailed than that. It's just the same as any other essay, though. Keep it logical and consisitent.

B

baaaa

Hi Abtari,

Speeches can be "good" for a number of reasons; they can be humorous, emotional or simply straightforward. The most important thing you must remember though, is that in making a speech, you're trying to draw the attention of your audience, continually. You have to adopt a register that suits your audience. Eg, if I was making a speech as a Nobel Laureate speaking about my work, my language would be very technical and be supported by jargon. Contrastedly, if I was making a speech to a group of (junior) high school students, my language would be more colloquial, and I'd include more humour or dramatic elements that my audience can relate to.

It's also wise to adopt a personal approach eg:
Luther King : I had a dream...
Antony: Friends, Romans, Countrymen
Atwood: my daughter...

In order to sustain your register, you should employ language techniques such as rhetoric (eg questions with an "obvious" answer), exlamation, emotive tones and imagery (eg the vision of Luther King)

This when combined with a solid structure, as Jhakka already explained, should be all you need.

J

jhakka

The assessment is an essay, as stated in the first post, and rhetorical questions don't look good in essays unless they are quotes. It is a technique that should/could be mentioned.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Rhetorical questions don't look good in essay's requiring extreme critical detachment. This includes most school essays. It is, however, a very valid technique to use when writing creatively within the critical form. Orwell has used the rhetorical question in his essays, as has Le Guin. If you are writing in text types, such as feature article, or speech, then the rhetorical question can be useful.

Keep in mind though, that the reason it is called a "rhetorical" question, is because it is mostly used when speaking, so don't overdo it. ;) Some English teachers are fascists.

EDIT: ...and others are very nice...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)