Photoshop in the fashion industry (1 Viewer)

Should Photoshop be used for touching up photos?

• No

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It depends how Photoshop is being used

Votes: 8 88.9%

• Total voters

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Photoshop should not be used for fixing up impurities in appearances ..... Humans are not perfect in any way, and Photoshop creates unrealistic expectations for young girls (when used wrongly).

This is the reason why lots of females feel as though they are "Inferior" in the looks department. They should just ban photoshopped images from magazines!!!!

What do you guys think?

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
P Humans are not perfect in any way, and Photoshop creates unrealistic expectations for young girls (when used wrongly).
its almost as if magazines are works of aestheticism and not catalogues of accurate depiction of imperfect humans

This is the reason why lots of females feel as though they are "Inferior" in the looks department. They should just ban photoshopped images from magazines!!!!
then why should stop being a bunch of stupid cry-babies and stop buying those stupid magazines in the first place

and besides most body-image issues would disappear if women werent such fat disgusting cows

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Photoshop should not be used for fixing up impurities in appearances ..... Humans are not perfect in any way, and Photoshop creates unrealistic expectations for young girls (when used wrongly).

What do you guys think?
^ this is the lady gaga that *everyone* loves? See they're basically deceiving their fans by showing a part of themselves which really isn't them. And who likes deceit? Inevitably, I guess as humans, we always want what we can't have - unless you have ultimate self-control

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
its almost as if magazines are works of aestheticism and not catalogues of accurate depiction of imperfect humans

then why should stop being a bunch of stupid cry-babies and stop buying those stupid magazines in the first place

and besides most body-image issues would disappear if women werent such fat disgusting cows
No comment.

esaitchkay

HSC
Yeah it's gone way too far: http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6956694/photoshop-has-gone-too-far

no but srs, on the OTHER side of the spectrum, there's been this whole 'love your own body' movement thing.
Whilst having self-acceptance etc. is great, I think we need to be careful so that we don't promote unhealthy, sedentary lifestyles, which is now justified by "you are who you are" (which totally ignores the fact that everyone should have some form of exercise).

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Tbh I don't think she looks that different and looks worse in the photoshopped one.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Fashion industry is a joke industry.

As far as I'm concerned, it has no value.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
tbh fashion magazines, pics etc. are made for the purpose of showing unrealistic aesthetically pleasing people and clothes

sure, there are a lot of body image issues but many body image issues have roots in things other than magazines and how "beautiful" models look, with anorexia nervosa having a strong correlation with other mental disorders such as depression that can be triggered by something else, though these magazine issues might serve to exacerbate it, it won't deal with any root cause to an extent that would justify banning photoshop, which would undermine the entire point of that industry

granted, the average model in the fashion industry isn't even chosen because they are necessarily traditionally beautiful but they are often chosen on the basis of being thin due to the "draping effect"

reallydontcare

HSC
Fashion industry is a joke industry.

As far as I'm concerned, it has no value.
"Fashion is one of the very few forms of expression in which women have more freedom than men. And I don’t think it’s an accident that it’s typically seen as shallow, trivial, and vain. It is the height of irony that women are valued for our looks, encouraged to make ourselves beautiful and ornamental… and are then derided as shallow and vain for doing so. And it’s a subtle but definite form of sexism to take one of the few forms of expression where women have more freedom, and treat it as a form of expression that’s inherently superficial and trivial. Like it or not, fashion and style are primarily a women’s art form. And I think it gets treated as trivial because women get treated as trivial."

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
I love how women think they have an unrealistic standard to live by because of what advertising has done...

you tried being a man...

I mean, what the eff... I don't even...

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
we can't also forget the use of photoshops on male models as well. although not as prominent, there are male body image issues as well as females, so its humans all round that are being targeted for their superficial appearances.

i don't think photoshop is the root cause of insecurity, it is rather a symptom of a disease known as media and societal expectations. photoshop is pretty much something that aggravates our own insecurities than stem from the impositions media and society has placed on us, in terms of aesthetic appearance and whatnot.

of course, photoshopping images to distort the body shape is wrong, but its not enough to simply eradicate it. we need to address the root causes of why we're so obsessed with photoshopping out imperfections and target the (unfortunately) overbearing and destructive ideals that are upheld within society today, in relation to body image and outward appearances.

so i disagree with you that photoshop is the why females feel inferior in the "looks" department, but it is rather the expectations of society that have been imposed upon both females and males that makes everyone feel like a piece of shit when they see billboards or media with perfectly sculpted humans on it. photoshop is simply a channel of our obsession with aesthetics and outward appearance, not the root cause of our insecurities.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
"Fashion is one of the very few forms of expression in which women have more freedom than men. And I don’t think it’s an accident that it’s typically seen as shallow, trivial, and vain. It is the height of irony that women are valued for our looks, encouraged to make ourselves beautiful and ornamental… and are then derided as shallow and vain for doing so. And it’s a subtle but definite form of sexism to take one of the few forms of expression where women have more freedom, and treat it as a form of expression that’s inherently superficial and trivial. Like it or not, fashion and style are primarily a women’s art form. And I think it gets treated as trivial because women get treated as trivial."
Was this written by a high-schooler studying feminism under the "After the Bomb" topic?

JohnMaximus

shepherd of the people
HSC
we can't also forget the use of photoshops on male models as well. although not as prominent, there are male body image issues as well as females, so its humans all round that are being targeted for their superficial appearances.
Lol'd

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)