Where does the cold virus come from? (1 Viewer)

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Now i know that u cant catch a cold just from feeling cold, i never, and it was shown on "Whats Good For You" (tv show) that its not true. It really annoys me when my dad goes off at me for not wearing a jumper: "..or you'll catch a cold."
To me, someone who understands quite a bit about science, that makes no sense at all. To get a cold u catch it from someone, and they caught it from someone..

..but where did it come from in the first place?

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
What specifically are you asking for. The history of the common cold, or the virology behind it?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Virology i guess. Where the virus came from and how it transferred to humans, probably by means of inhalation, eating, ..

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Well I doubt anybody can give you a comprehensive answer to 'where it came from', as colds have been around for as long as humans have been.

It's basically just a highly contagious virus caused mostly by picornavirus's and coronavirus's. But that said, there are over 100 strains of picornavirus.

It's transferred from human to human by contact (i.e. touching something an infected person has sneezed on) or breathing it in off somebody who has it. It doesn't take a lot for it to catch.

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Yeah, in cold weather ppl huddle together in massive warmth orgy's and transfer all the virusses they have. Still, i do believe i am right in that wearing a jumper is not gonna stop me getting a cold, right? (excluding if someone sneezed on me) as in... if its a cold day and im not surrounded by anyone who has a cold, or anyone at all, and im wearing a tshirt, im NOT gonna get a cold. That i am almost 100% sure of.

Last edited:

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
You most definitely cannot catch a cold from being cold. A cold is a virus, that itself completely dispells that myth.

The only element of truth to it is that if you do get cold, your body puts a lot of energy into keeping warm and thus you may be more susceptible to a cold if your immune response is comprimised. I highly doubt it though.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
kony said:
The cold virus is generally dormant in everyone without symptoms. When the immune system becomes weaker in colder weather and or from a lack of rest, the symptoms could show up. So not putting on a jumper does indeed activate "the cold".
No, no, no.

Although common colds are seasonal, with more occurring during winter, experiments so far have failed to produce evidence that short-term exposure to cold weather or direct chilling increases susceptibility to infection, implying that the seasonal variation is instead due to a change in behaviors such as increased time spent indoors at close proximity to others.

HalcyonSky

HSC
kony said:
The cold virus is generally dormant in everyone without symptoms. When the immune system becomes weaker in colder weather and or from a lack of rest, the symptoms could show up. So not putting on a jumper does indeed activate "the cold".
you forgot to mention it was implanted in us by god, and activated by sin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)