Bone Marrow... (1 Viewer)

H@wkeye!

HSC
Hey all, just thought i'd let you know about something i'm rather proud of that's happening soon.

Did a quick search, and discovered that this place recommends and 'pushes' people to donate blood, which is good, i've been doing that for a while now (up to 25 or 30 now...). About 3 or 4 donations ago, i was asked if i'd like to go on the bone marrow registry, which i had no idea about, so asked what that was. I was then told the whole story about how when people get kimo, the radiation kills off all their stem cells (bone marrow...) and so they need new ones to survive.

Curious, i asked more about it. Turns out that they get the bone marrow from regular Joes in a similar manner to how you donate blood. So, after taking a small sample (after i'd already donated the 400mL of whole blood) i was on the registry.

A few months later, i got a call, asking whether i could come in and give another sample for analysis, as a possible match had come up for someone about to undertake kimo. Gave sample, but no match.

Then about 2 months ago, i get another phone call, and it's another possible match. So, i go in give them the sample, and get told lots of interesting things, that any bloke would love an attractive girl to say - fit, young, healthy, male, hasn't had some particular virus (which most people my age have had...), perfect male speciem (if only they all thought like that...)

Then, the other day, i get another call. Turns out, that my blood (or stem cells to be percise) are in fact a match! So, some fellow in Sydney (i think that's where they said he was) is going to go ahead and have kimo, (he's got Leukaemi), thus killing all his stem cells. So, on the 18th, i'm going to go in, get hooked up to a big 'ld mechine, and get my blood sucked out of me, put through a processer, extract the stem cells, and put back in me!

however, prior to this, i'm getting 'jabbed' twice daily, for 4 days prior to the procedure to get the stem cells out of my bones.

And, i'm well excited! Fortunately i'm not afraid of needles, and not even worried about the side effects! Love the idea of being able to give something like that!

So, as you can tell, i'm rather excited about it, been wanted to tell for a while now, so did! I recommend that all get on the registry, you could really save a life (not that donating blood doesn't save lives...)

Hawk

/Out

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
and yet they still can die despite the treatment... at about the same rate ...

its not all gumdrops and rainbows...

still need to donate tho...

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
Hey all, just thought i'd let you know about something i'm rather proud of that's happening soon.

Did a quick search, and discovered that this place recommends and 'pushes' people to donate blood, which is good, i've been doing that for a while now (up to 25 or 30 now...). About 3 or 4 donations ago, i was asked if i'd like to go on the bone marrow registry, which i had no idea about, so asked what that was. I was then told the whole story about how when people get kimo, the radiation kills off all their stem cells (bone marrow...) and so they need new ones to survive.

Curious, i asked more about it. Turns out that they get the bone marrow from regular Joes in a similar manner to how you donate blood. So, after taking a small sample (after i'd already donated the 400mL of whole blood) i was on the registry.

A few months later, i got a call, asking whether i could come in and give another sample for analysis, as a possible match had come up for someone about to undertake kimo. Gave sample, but no match.

Then about 2 months ago, i get another phone call, and it's another possible match. So, i go in give them the sample, and get told lots of interesting things, that any bloke would love an attractive girl to say - fit, young, healthy, male, hasn't had some particular virus (which most people my age have had...), perfect male speciem (if only they all thought like that...)

Then, the other day, i get another call. Turns out, that my blood (or stem cells to be percise) are in fact a match! So, some fellow in Sydney (i think that's where they said he was) is going to go ahead and have kimo, (he's got Leukaemi), thus killing all his stem cells. So, on the 18th, i'm going to go in, get hooked up to a big 'ld mechine, and get my blood sucked out of me, put through a processer, extract the stem cells, and put back in me!

however, prior to this, i'm getting 'jabbed' twice daily, for 4 days prior to the procedure to get the stem cells out of my bones.

And, i'm well excited! Fortunately i'm not afraid of needles, and not even worried about the side effects! Love the idea of being able to give something like that!

So, as you can tell, i'm rather excited about it, been wanted to tell for a while now, so did! I recommend that all get on the registry, you could really save a life (not that donating blood doesn't save lives...)

Hawk

/Out
I commend you, I can't give blood for medical reasons.

reps for you

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A

Hawk

/Out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)