Depression and the HSC - how do you cope? (1 Viewer)

Ashabella

HSC
Considering that there is a significant number of people that experience some form of depression during the HSC period, I though it might be nice for people to have a discussion about how to cope.

So if you've got coping strategies or words of advice, please share...

:)

Ashabella

HSC
drop out so you dont do the hsc
mmmm ok...

But I think we are more trying to look at coping with depression AND the HSC.

Because dropping out isn't the best idea for some people.

Although, it can be necessary in many situation, I agree.

dinopoke

HSC
I guess knowing that we are all in this together helps me cope.

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
Considering that there is a significant number of people that experience some form of depression during the HSC period, I though it might be nice for people to have a discussion about how to cope.

So if you've got coping strategies or words of advice, please share...

:)
who actually gets depressed? its not the biggest thing in the world...thats my advice...the HSC doesnt mean shit

Ashabella

HSC
I guess knowing that we are all in this together helps me cope.
Yeah, that's true. :)

Do you guys get special consideration for your depression? I hope you all know that that's available....

Ashabella

HSC
who actually gets depressed? its not the biggest thing in the world...thats my advice...the HSC doesnt mean shit
Heaps of people get depressed. It's pretty damn common. 1 in 4 Australians will experience depression at some point during their lives.

It's a sad statistic, but I think it might help people to feel like they are not alone.

What do you guys think?

gurusson

HSC
as a christian i turn to the bible, there are several passages that help

loz8888

HSC
I think this is a good idea for a thread. I know that when I did the HSC last year, I had huge problems with depression. So sharing coping strategies is a really nice idea to help others through..

The best thing I did was talk to my year director. She literally saved my life. So I recommend talking to a friend, teacher, year director, counsellor, parent or psychologist..anyone who you can trust. It is such a great feeling when you know someone cares; that you have someone to talk to when things are getting really tough.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
If a person's depression is really bad and it is brought on by the HSC I think they should leave school or go with a lighter workload- there is no point pushing yourself and in turn, making yourself more depressed.

Everyone gets down once in a while and I am not going to lie and say that I haven't felt like that this year but it is just about moving on and taking it one step at a time.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I am depressed too.

I try to cope with it by looking at positive side of HSC - more opportunities to think more about my future and other stuff...

Ashabella

HSC
I think this is a good idea for a thread. I know that when I did the HSC last year, I had huge problems with depression. So sharing coping strategies is a really nice idea to help others through..

The best thing I did was talk to my year director. She literally saved my life. So I recommend talking to a friend, teacher, year director, counsellor, parent or psychologist..anyone who you can trust. It is such a great feeling when you know someone cares; that you have someone to talk to when things are getting really tough.
hey, thanks that was some really good advice.
And I totally agree with you. There are so many people out there that can help.
Eg. There are helplines, free anonymous counselling at community health centres, school counsellors, doctors, teachers, friends, relatives etc etc.

And then of course, you can get special consideration, extensions on assignments, etc if you inform your school.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm really glad you got through it ok! Your year director sounds awesome!!! :)

Ashabella

HSC
If a person's depression is really bad and it is brought on by the HSC I think they should leave school or go with a lighter workload- there is no point pushing yourself and in turn, making yourself more depressed.

Everyone gets down once in a while and I am not going to lie and say that I haven't felt like that this year but it is just about moving on and taking it one step at a time.
Yeah, that is sometimes the best option I think. There are ways you can do your HSC over two or more years (ie 'Pathways', tafe, some youth centres offer HSC courses outside of school).

Plus, it's better to get through it slowly, than not at all, right?

loz8888

HSC
hey, thanks that was some really good advice.
And I totally agree with you. There are so many people out there that can help.
Eg. There are helplines, free anonymous counselling at community health centres, school counsellors, doctors, teachers, friends, relatives etc etc.

And then of course, you can get special consideration, extensions on assignments, etc if you inform your school.

Thanks again for the advice. I'm really glad you got through it ok! Your year director sounds awesome!!! :)

Yeah absolutely. The special considerations are so helpful!
It can be so daunting when you're dealing with depression all on your own... but it can also be really hard to bring yourself to tell someone and ask for help. But, it is so worth it!! If you need help, ask for it!! It was the best thing I ever did.

Ashabella, how are you finding the HSC and things in general at the moment?

loz8888

HSC
Yeah, that is sometimes the best option I think. There are ways you can do your HSC over two or more years (ie 'Pathways', tafe, some youth centres offer HSC courses outside of school).

Plus, it's better to get through it slowly, than not at all, right?
I could not agree more!! It's not worth putting your health and life in danger for the HSC. Life is precious and, in the long run, an extra year won't really make a difference

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
If you truly do suffer from depression, the best thing you can do is see a psych, if the first one you see is a piece of shit, go to another. PLEASE don't judge the helpfulness of psychologists by how helpful you found your school councilor (which, sadly, often isn't very helpful at all), it can really make a difference, particularly during the HSC.

Ashabella

HSC

Yeah absolutely. The special considerations are so helpful!
It can be so daunting when you're dealing with depression all on your own... but it can also be really hard to bring yourself to tell someone and ask for help. But, it is so worth it!! If you need help, ask for it!! It was the best thing I ever did.

Ashabella, how are you finding the HSC and things in general at the moment?
Yeah ok... i'm pretty stressed. Particularly today. I have spent the entire weekend trying to concentrate and write an essay for my half yearly exam tomorrow and have only managed to get out one pretty terrible paragraph. I have serious issues with concentration. haha

I think i'm just going to have to embrace failure! :z

I'm really glad you were able to get help :)
Coming on here and letting everyone know that you were able to do it and get through it all, is probably sending a really hopeful message. So thanks so much.

Ash

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)