Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a limit on how big your muscles grow?

HSC

Re: Is there a limit on how big your muscles grow?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoom View Post
    Whoa, that sounds hard.

Sorry Mrsajmon23, I work out at home, my goal is to just get big muscles and at the same time look better, more defined.

Anything I can do for the chest ( pecs) other then chest press with dumbells, flys are to hard for me, the weight drops when I bring it down.
    lol, was just kidding, but thanks anyway

what kind of equipment do you have? i gather from the info that you have dumbells, but do you have a bench + barbell?

"Absorb what is useful, discard what is not, add what is uniquely your own" - Bruce Lee

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Kwayera View Post
    (done when you lie flat on your back, with your hands at the base of your spine for added support. Raise your legs up at a 90 degree angle, then slowly lower until they’re only inches from the ground. Repeat until your stomach burns and you want to throw up)
    ive never had back pains doing crunches, but doing this exercise they recommend instead usually gives me lower back pain once i get to about 30 with strict form

bleh

HSC

also, whats your verdict on the spinal safety of these babies:

HSC

If your heart feels like its going to rip out of your chest you should probably to some aerobic shit.

HSC

Hi
    I know there is a limit but what im asking is for a 17yo, who has been doing weights everynight ( 3 sets of 12 reps of bicep curls, bicep hammer curls, shoulder press, over row , chest press, tricep curl).

Is there a point were they wont grow, or as long as I do them every night they rip and grow.
    Poor advice in this thread.

I highlighted the bold for a reason, if you're not a complete idiot you'll know why.
    Ancient, Legal, Biology, English, Maths 90+ Law/Commerce at UWS

HSC

Your workout is horrible. That may be a result of a lack of equipment but it is still horrible. You need to work your legs and back as well. This will a) stop you having chicken legs (if you say 'nah my legs are big enough already' so help me god) b) help the rest of you grow as it will stimulate more hormones

There is no real limit to muscle hypertrophy, at least not one you are going to reach without YEARS if not a decade or more of dedicating yourself to the goal of gaining as much size as possible

Your current workout, the frequency at which you do it, and probably your diet even though you haven't mentioned it, are what will be holding you back.

Your workout needs to incorporate major muscle groups (legs/back/chest) and revolve around compound movements (movements that involve more than one joint). Around the compounds you can place isolation movements (those that involve one joint) as you see fit. Limited equipment will obviously limit your options, either get to a gym or ghetto some stuff up, it isn't that difficult if you're creative. 9-12 reps have been shown to result in greatest muscle hypertrophy (not necessarily strength), however you need to keep increasing the weight for it to continue working, at the very LEAST. Generally you will benefit from changing rep range when you plateau, as well as using different movements.

Frequency: Your muscle needs time to regenerate and build themselves back up stronger than they were before you damaged all the fibres. 24 hours or less (what you currently do) is not enough time for this. You will simply break them down again before they are rebuilt. If you've been doing your current routine for any significant period of time (more than a few months) then that pretty much signals that the weights you are using are for girly men because if they weren't you would be in a state of overtraining. 2-3 days before hitting a muscle group again is pretty standard, but if your muscles haven't recovered by then obviously wait till they do.

Diet: Without enough protein + calories, you will not grow. Period. You have to eat more than you burn to grow, it is that simple.

Also, DOMS (muscle soreness) isn't a very good indicator of a workouts effectiveness. In omie's case it is probably related to the fact he only works out once a week, in yours I would say it is because you keep hitting the same muscles before they are fresh again. Personally after a week or two of introducing a new movement, my body has adapted and DOMS is all but gone.

ashleey luvs roosters katie tully's Avatar
    HSC

HSC

Injecting oil in your arms until they go boom doesn't count :P

ashleey luvs roosters katie tully's Avatar
    HSC

I watched the doco on C&I expecting to see his esploded arms.

Didn't happen

HSC

Hi
    I know there is a limit but what im asking is for a 17yo, who has been doing weights everynight ( 3 sets of 12 reps of bicep curls, bicep hammer curls, shoulder press, over row , chest press, tricep curl).

Is there a point were they wont grow, or as long as I do them every night they rip and grow.
    Yes.

A full sized natural at 5' should be 100 pounds. If taller than this, for every 1" add 12 pounds for a heavy bone structure, 10 pounds for a medium bone structure and 8 pounds for a lighter bone structure.

But yeah, you wont get there without squats, deadlifts and power cleans/rows.
    Squat 3x5: 150kg
    Bench 3x5: 95kg
    Deadlift 1x5: 177.5kg
    (Weightlifting stats for Omnie_Jay).

HSC

Quik I'm gonna leave this shit to you I'm sick of talking to walls. None of these guys eat, let alone have touched an actual barbell.

HSC
    N/A

I only started doing chest stuff for a few days, my chest is sore, so I guess I have to wait a couple of days for them to heal.

First time I did stuff for the triceps, they were really sore the next day, now they dont hurt at all.

ok, so what are some exercises I can do with a barbell? I dont know where to get one, I dont have that much cash atm.

HSC

HSC
    N/A

Ok, now I need to buy a bench and a barbell

reel have this barbell set, 200 dollars, the barbell and 50kg of weight.

With the bench, do they come with racks? are they expensive?

gone
    HSC

ok, so what are some exercises I can do with a barbell? I dont know where to get one, I dont have that much cash atm.
    seriously, google any queries you have before posting on bos and making us all facepalm at your questions.

HSC

Ok, now I need to buy a bench and a barbell

reel have this barbell set, 200 dollars, the barbell and 50kg of weight.

With the bench, do they come with racks? are they expensive?
    Some benches come with racks, others don't. Ones with rack points aren't necessarily more expensive, you can pick them up pretty cheap.

HSC

Hey guys,

I'm about to do a write-up in the sticky thread about home gyms, including links to some of the cheapest equipment places in syd. stay tuned.

Btw Quik: Mum has 2kgs of bacon she needs me to eat in the next few days. You mad brah?

HSC

Long as you've got the eggs to go with it :P

There was a previous thread on home gym equipment where I pretty much detailed what I did/bought from. If I can find it I'll link it here and if there's anything useful in it feel free to include it

Edit: Second post Setting Up A Home Gym
    Last edited by quik.; 28 Jun 2009 at 3:51 PM.

HSC
    N/A

My new routine involves training two muscles groups in one day, then a break the next day then they day after work the toher muscles

e.g

monday - triceps, chest, tuesday cardio wednesday - biceps back.

Is that better then what im doing now, will i get better results?

gone
    HSC

i dont think you'll get much growth if u dont do your whole body, ie legs too.

plus make sure you do compound exercises, do them first before doing the isolated ones.

HSC
    N/A

Friday was meant to be shoulders and legs.

Ill post the full schedule tomorrow.

+ 40 crunches every night.

HSC

*facepalm*. Dude if you want your muscles to grow, give them adequate time to rest (this means 48 hours MINIMUM). And yes, you could isolate your arms and work them to a lean mean 12", but by doing compound exercises (squats, deadlifts, power cleans etc), you'd get much bigger much quicker.

Leave isolation for later brother.
    Ancient, Legal, Biology, English, Maths 90+ Law/Commerce at UWS

Can count to potato
    HSC

I only started doing chest stuff for a few days, my chest is sore, so I guess I have to wait a couple of days for them to heal.

First time I did stuff for the triceps, they were really sore the next day, now they dont hurt at all.

The soreness is called DOMS. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness and it means you actually did something to your muscles. When you get DOMS it means that tiny muscle fibres were torn during your workout, and if I'm right, that means they grow back stronger and bigger? What I believe is that when you don't get DOMS, the whole workout you did the previous day meant nothing and was probably a waste of time.

In my opinion, dumbbells are better to use due to the more contractions and muscle components used. When using a barbell, you aren't using as many muscle components as you would dumbbell. For example, dumbbell bench press means that you need to steady the dumbbell before lifting and when you're really pushing them out and struggling, your stabilizers will start working.

In regards to the latter for using a barbell, off the top of my head. Bicep curl, reverse bicep curl, bicep curl preacher, skullcrushers, bent over row, bench press, military press, etc. You get the picture.

+ 40 crunches every night.
    Is that it? Only 40? Do you only do crunches? There are tons more abdominal exercises than crunches and I think you are more than capable of doing super sets.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by ajay12 View Post
    The soreness is called DOMS. Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness and it means you actually did something to your muscles. When you get DOMS it means that tiny muscle fibres were torn during your workout, and if I'm right, that means they grow back stronger and bigger? What I believe is that when you don't get DOMS, the whole workout you did the previous day meant nothing and was probably a waste of time.
    This is wrong.

In my opinion, dumbbells are better to use due to the more contractions and muscle components used. When using a barbell, you aren't using as many muscle components as you would dumbbell. For example, dumbbell bench press means that you need to steady the dumbbell before lifting and when you're really pushing them out and struggling, your stabilizers will start working.
    Dumbbells are a tool, just like barbell work. You can load muscles more via barbell work, for example. Dumbbells, barbells and machines are all tools that have their place.

Barbells and weight for them are also much more cost effective than dumbbells.

Is that it? Only 40? Do you only do crunches? There are tons more abdominal exercises than crunches and I think you are more than capable of doing super sets.
    Most people do ab work wrong, engaging the hip flexors as the prime mover rather than the abdominals. There are many more COMPOUND exercises that will work your abs better than any girly situp or crunch.

Try deadlifting and squatting sometime, great for your abs.

HSC

Whats your diet like? how many calories you eating? how much protein are you eating? what are you goals?

Also, you need to change your routine.. if you can't join a gym by a bench set...and then you need to learn to deadlift and squat.
    I'm not a businessman
    I'm a business Man! - Jay Z

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information