Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 105

Thread: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

  1. #26
    Cadet HscGoldStarHero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    HSC
    2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    study-city
    Posts
    35
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    focus on building man meat
    I prowl I growl I scowl
    I frown and down my brow
    I pout how you like me now

  2. #27
    Senior Member quik.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    781
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    If anyone is interested here is a pretty good warmup

    Works for me

    http://www.performancemenu.com/wod/v...dardWarmup.mov

  3. #28
    Senior Member cannibal.horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    730
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim035 View Post
    If you look at Bill Star's 5x5 routine, it follows an increase of 2.5% beyond the previous weeks max for the last set you do of the exercise.

    ...

    - This is not set in stone advice btw, just my perspective / experience.
    Have you checked out texas method yet? I'm going to suss it out and give it a go, apparently the loading parameters are a lot better set than 5x5.

    I'll miss the ramping period though
    Squat 3x5: 150kg
    Bench 3x5: 95kg
    Deadlift 1x5: 177.5kg
    (Weightlifting stats for Omnie_Jay).

  4. #29
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    86
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Quote Originally Posted by cannibal.horse View Post
    Have you checked out texas method yet? I'm going to suss it out and give it a go, apparently the loading parameters are a lot better set than 5x5.

    I'll miss the ramping period though
    i had a question for u mate. i have seen your journal on bb.com, really impressive. i have started rippetoe 2 weeks back. I am quite skinny, plan to gain around 10 kgs over the next 12 months. till now gained 2 kgs in the first 2 weeks. should i take whey protein or mass gainers?? I am 6 feet and weight 68.

  5. #30
    Senior Member cannibal.horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    730
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Quote Originally Posted by melb22 View Post
    i had a question for u mate. i have seen your journal on bb.com, really impressive. i have started rippetoe 2 weeks back. I am quite skinny, plan to gain around 10 kgs over the next 12 months. till now gained 2 kgs in the first 2 weeks. should i take whey protein or mass gainers?? I am 6 feet and weight 68.
    If you've gained 2kg in the first two weeks it sounds like you're doing fine.

    Eventually your results will slow to about a kg a month, which is what you're aiming for.

    Aim for getting 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight a month, mostly from meat/milk/whey then just try to eat until you're not hungry. If after a few weeks you haven't put on any weight try adding something new, like another protein shake or 2-3 glasses of milk.

    Whey shakes (particularly whey protein concentrate you can buy cheap off ebay) is a great way of boosting your protein intake or making up for meals on occasion (for example, if mum decides she's going to make a soup that night). Weight gainers I dont like, they're an expensive mix of whey and carbohydrate - instead just buy some whey and oatmeal, which is the same thing but cheaper.

    Also just a few tips for the program:
    - Buy both the books. There were a lot of periods where I stalled to fix technique or didn't know how to program once linear progression because too much - if you have starting strength and practical programming you'll know exactly how to deal with this.

    - I'd really recommend learning power cleans. If you don't have anyone to teach you, do pull ups on monday and chin ups on friday instead of barbell rows, as rows take a while to learn and won't put mass on you like a pull up will.

    - Don't worry about accessories until later in the program - I have really weak abs and this began to cause a lot of problems in my squat and press, but most people are fine.

    - In terms of food id recommend 2L of lite milk, 1 pound of meat and 2-3 scoops of protein per day. If you're still struggling to put mass on add some more milk.
    Squat 3x5: 150kg
    Bench 3x5: 95kg
    Deadlift 1x5: 177.5kg
    (Weightlifting stats for Omnie_Jay).

  6. #31
    Senior Member Tim035's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    859
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Quote Originally Posted by cannibal.horse View Post
    Have you checked out texas method yet? I'm going to suss it out and give it a go, apparently the loading parameters are a lot better set than 5x5.

    I'll miss the ramping period though
    It looks very similar, except with more emphasis on wednesday being recovery day. I'll do some more reading in to how the loading parameters work , if it looks good I may alternate to it after a finish 9 - 12 weeks of 5x5.

    I got a 1kg bag of WPC off ebay for $33 (including postage), a lot better deal then the $70-80 they want at rebel sport and most health stores / chemists.

    Oh yeah.. Quick question- How do you do weighted dips? Just with a weight belt attached to a 20kg plate?

  7. #32
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    86
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Quote Originally Posted by cannibal.horse View Post
    If you've gained 2kg in the first two weeks it sounds like you're doing fine.

    Eventually your results will slow to about a kg a month, which is what you're aiming for.

    Aim for getting 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight a month, mostly from meat/milk/whey then just try to eat until you're not hungry. If after a few weeks you haven't put on any weight try adding something new, like another protein shake or 2-3 glasses of milk.

    Whey shakes (particularly whey protein concentrate you can buy cheap off ebay) is a great way of boosting your protein intake or making up for meals on occasion (for example, if mum decides she's going to make a soup that night). Weight gainers I dont like, they're an expensive mix of whey and carbohydrate - instead just buy some whey and oatmeal, which is the same thing but cheaper.

    Also just a few tips for the program:
    - Buy both the books. There were a lot of periods where I stalled to fix technique or didn't know how to program once linear progression because too much - if you have starting strength and practical programming you'll know exactly how to deal with this.

    - I'd really recommend learning power cleans. If you don't have anyone to teach you, do pull ups on monday and chin ups on friday instead of barbell rows, as rows take a while to learn and won't put mass on you like a pull up will.

    - Don't worry about accessories until later in the program - I have really weak abs and this began to cause a lot of problems in my squat and press, but most people are fine.

    - In terms of food id recommend 2L of lite milk, 1 pound of meat and 2-3 scoops of protein per day. If you're still struggling to put mass on add some more milk.
    thanks . I will try and follow it.

  8. #33
    Senior Member cannibal.horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    730
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim035 View Post
    It looks very similar, except with more emphasis on wednesday being recovery day. I'll do some more reading in to how the loading parameters work , if it looks good I may alternate to it after a finish 9 - 12 weeks of 5x5.
    Yeah, when you're doing heavy deadlifts, overhead presses and front squats the wednesday isn't so much of a 'light day' at all...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim035 View Post
    I got a 1kg bag of WPC off ebay for $33 (including postage), a lot better deal then the $70-80 they want at rebel sport and most health stores / chemists.
    But 5kg for $90 off ebay is even cheaper

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim035 View Post
    Oh yeah.. Quick question- How do you do weighted dips? Just with a weight belt attached to a 20kg plate?
    You got it, though I can barely do one dip without weights so you might have to start off with less.
    Squat 3x5: 150kg
    Bench 3x5: 95kg
    Deadlift 1x5: 177.5kg
    (Weightlifting stats for Omnie_Jay).

  9. #34
    Senior Member quik.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    781
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Quote Originally Posted by cannibal.horse View Post
    You got it, though I can barely do one dip without weights so you might have to start off with less.
    Brooo

    Poor form haha

  10. #35
    Senior Member cannibal.horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    730
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Quote Originally Posted by quik. View Post
    Brooo

    Poor form haha
    I've just always been shit at them, not my thing.

    Prefer the bench
    Squat 3x5: 150kg
    Bench 3x5: 95kg
    Deadlift 1x5: 177.5kg
    (Weightlifting stats for Omnie_Jay).

  11. #36
    Senior Member quik.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    781
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    The two are intertwined for me, if I don't do dips my bench ends up stalling

  12. #37
    Senior Member cannibal.horse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    730
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Quote Originally Posted by quik. View Post
    The two are intertwined for me, if I don't do dips my bench ends up stalling
    I get the same but with the overhead press.

    I really don't do many exercises, I bench, squat, deadlift, press and row, as well as weighted sit ups and some barbell curls and close grips so i can do arnie impressions infront of the mirror. I'm thinking about dropping rows and doing power cleans instead, or just adding power cleans.

    A long time ago I experimented with a high volume routine. Skull crushers which did shit, and direct calfwork hurt me. Leg extensions did very little for me as well.

    I've tried incline presses, lunges, side and rear laterals - they were okay. I've tried pull ups and they worked very well, but I lack the equipment. Forearm work and neck work worked, but weren't especially needed.

    I think most people have about 4-5 exercises that work for them. These are mine and I just focus on getting stronger in those key lifts.
    Last edited by cannibal.horse; 12 Jul 2009 at 8:11 PM.
    Squat 3x5: 150kg
    Bench 3x5: 95kg
    Deadlift 1x5: 177.5kg
    (Weightlifting stats for Omnie_Jay).

  13. #38
    Senior Member Tim035's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    859
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    I got the 1kg bag for starters just to make sure it's decent quality before I invest $100.

    I was a gymnast for ~12 years, so I find dips and chin ups fairly easy. On the down side, my knees and ankles are shot and already showing early signs of osteoarthritis...

  14. #39
    Junior Member mr_robato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    222
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Hay quik, nice effort buddy.


    I plan on building my body between Nov 09>Jan2010 (That's the first three months after my HSC exams later this year), Then I have a 1 month overseas trip planned. Your opinion on the full on 3 month thing?


    The main concern I've got is the fact that I'll be working lots after HSC to save up enough cash to last me for that month away (plus to pay for gym membership+nutritious food). At work one is generally not allowed to simply eat/drink shakes. So I will have the rest of the day after something like a 6-8 hour shift. How does one cope with the job getting in the way of nutricion intake?


    I guess It's just time management... Or, I could have my shake pre-prepared and to pretend I'm having the usual quick drink and consume it then!


    Apologies for such a badly worded post.

  15. #40
    gone
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    HSC
    2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    in my own pants
    Posts
    6,679
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Quote Originally Posted by quik. View Post
    If anyone is interested here is a pretty good warmup

    Works for me

    http://www.performancemenu.com/wod/v...dardWarmup.mov
    hahaha, pretty funny vid.
    i could never do 'scorpions', that'd cramp my hamstrings in a second.

    i my warmups just consist of some simple stretching, pushups, and some more stretching.

  16. #41
    Senior Member quik.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    781
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Quote Originally Posted by mr_robato View Post
    I plan on building my body between Nov 09>Jan2010 (That's the first three months after my HSC exams later this year), Then I have a 1 month overseas trip planned. Your opinion on the full on 3 month thing?


    The main concern I've got is the fact that I'll be working lots after HSC to save up enough cash to last me for that month away (plus to pay for gym membership+nutritious food). At work one is generally not allowed to simply eat/drink shakes. So I will have the rest of the day after something like a 6-8 hour shift. How does one cope with the job getting in the way of nutricion intake?
    Three months of solid consistent effort should see good results, especially if you are a beginner. If you are planning on simply enjoying yourself overseas for a month, though, you will lose most of it. Up to you if you think it is worth it.

    As far as work goes, what do you do? I've worked factory / production line jobs where you are only meant to have specific breaks but I just asked someone to cover me for 5min and went and grabbed something quick that I'd prepared earlier.

    Quite frankly an 8 hour gap in keeping yourself fed is pretty huge, that is 1/3rd of the day where you can't eat, plus the 8 or more hours you are asleep... all adds up in the end.

  17. #42
    L
    L is offline
    quit bos forever 23/01/07 L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Under the Tuscan Sun, as per usual, fuckan tearin it up
    Posts
    1,056
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Quote Originally Posted by Omie Jay View Post
    hahaha, pretty funny vid.
    i could never do 'scorpions', that'd cramp my hamstrings in a second.

    i my warmups just consist of some simple stretching, pushups, and some more stretching.
    you

    are

    shit.
    It's all about the culture,
    neva been about the money

  18. #43
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    HSC
    N/A
    Gender
    Undisclosed
    Posts
    147
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    good stuff

  19. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    2770 reppin
    Posts
    70
    Rep Power
    0

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    i dnt need 2 do any of dis coz im naturally buff i was born dat way

  20. #45
    Exalted Member kfnmpah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    HSC
    2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Motley Crewcastle
    Posts
    2,242
    Rep Power
    9

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Why is everyone having milk in their post workout protein drinks!?!?!?!

    I'm a month into my body sculpting training, and i've talked to a nutritionist and she has said that your body has to break down the milk before it can absorb the protein so usually you don't absorb all the protein as efficiently. Instead, you should use water so the protein is absorbed with maximum efficiency (Y)
    The raccoon is often called a 'robber' for its foraging habits, the mask
    like markings on its face, and its illegal acquisition of blue period Picassos
    .

  21. #46
    Senior Member Tim035's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    HSC
    2006
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    859
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Quote Originally Posted by kfnmpah View Post
    Why is everyone having milk in their post workout protein drinks!?!?!?!

    I'm a month into my body sculpting training, and i've talked to a nutritionist and she has said that your body has to break down the milk before it can absorb the protein so usually you don't absorb all the protein as efficiently. Instead, you should use water so the protein is absorbed with maximum efficiency (Y)
    If you are body sculpting / bodybuilding so as to one day compete then its worth considering details like this. I think most people just figure they'll get a decent amount of protein in to their system if they have their protein powder + milk within 30 mins. Plus if you are buying flavorless whey protein, it tastes like crap in water, you have to atleast add some milo or something.
    BMedSc. Hons I
    University Medal. Pharmacology
    Graduate Program. Big 4

  22. #47
    Cadet
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    HSC
    2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    45
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Nice post. But I have one problem with this piece of advice:

    If you feel like having 3 double quarters pounders with a couple of mcflurries (good times), go for it

    You should NEVER eat empty calories and food that is generally unhealthy for you.

    No single professional bodybuilder does this with good results, it's not at all hard to get all your calories from healthy wholesome food.
    Last edited by 8039; 23 Jan 2010 at 6:38 PM.

  23. #48
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    HSC
    2008
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    221
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Hey. I came back here to respond to a pm. Left because of trolls.

    I gained 20kg last year, dropped 5 deliberately. I have a 180kg squat, 120kg bench and 220kg deadlift.

    I'll be on ironaddicts if anyone wants me, my user name is shenron.
    I'm doing a BA/LLB at Newcastle University. If you'd like info on the Newcastle course itself or on law generally pm me, and if I can't help I'll pass you onto someone who can.

    Weightlifting stats: 180kg squat, 120kg bench, 220 deadlift.

  24. #49
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    HSC
    2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    18
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    Is it true in order to get big you need to lift heavy? If so how do u know whats to heavy? Do i force myself to do 30kg even tho i can only do 15kg?

  25. #50
    gone
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    HSC
    2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    in my own pants
    Posts
    6,679
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: Weightlifting for size and strength: The Basics

    not sure the exact figures, i think 80% of your 1RM or something, but do 3 sets of 5-10 (i'd do 7or8) reps, and a heavy enough weight so that you're thoroughly exhausted afterwards and cannot do anymore. If you still have the strength to squeeze out 5 more reps in the last one, then you should've used a heavier weight. If you can barely finish your last set of 7 or so, or can only do 6 (1 less than previous set), then imo that's a good weight.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •