I wanna tone up - advice? (1 Viewer)

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
I'm not overweight, most people would consider me slim or average.
I am a big noob when it comes to being healthy, my whole life revolves around eating junk food, not exercising, going on computer/watching t.v for way too long etc. etc.

Recently, I had an epiphany and I realised that I'm increasing my chance of getting like a stroke or some shit so I really need advice on how to be moderately healthy. I'm not fat but I don't have a good body and I would really like one lol so any exercise you can recommend for better shape would be awesome

Also, what food should/shouldn't I eat?

Thank you, and sorry if this has been already answered
these are fairly standard questions but I would like a range of opinions which is why I asked here

thanks again

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I'm not overweight, most people would consider me slim or average.
I am a big noob when it comes to being healthy, my whole life revolves around eating junk food, not exercising, going on computer/watching t.v for way too long etc. etc.

Recently, I had an epiphany and I realised that I'm increasing my chance of getting like a stroke or some shit so I really need advice on how to be moderately healthy. I'm not fat but I don't have a good body and I would really like one lol so any exercise you can recommend for better shape would be awesome

Also, what food should/shouldn't I eat?

Thank you, and sorry if this has been already answered
these are fairly standard questions but I would like a range of opinions which is why I asked here

thanks again
I am not a total expert but I can help as I have been doing this particular routine for a while to "tone up" LOL.

Firstly, starting with good food diet is the best idea. You should focus on protine-rich and nutrients-rich food and avoid food that has "bad fat" in it.

For example, I usually consume 6+ boiled eggs per day without yellow part and I eat tuna as well. With that I consume about 100 grams of protein which is ideal for me who doesn't want to build up too much muscle - just very moderate amount. Eating protein also ensures that u burn fat which I don't want.

But when I DO consume food with fat, I make sure it's plant-sourced fat which is considered "good". In terms of carbs, I take in high GI foods like bread + fruits. Low GI foods like lollies are pretty bad for you...they will just make you hyperactive...><

All in all, my diet is pretty healthy. I take in fair amount of protein and adequate amount of carbs here now and then while taking in small fat (but good fat lol). This diet plan also ensures nutrients are coming in well through bread, fruits and protein-rich food.

However, I also need to satisfy my taste-bud so I sometimes have a day when I kinda ignore my diet plan and eat whatever I want but I rarely do it.

EDIT: Simple exercise is good. Walking is considered the bext exercise. But to "tone up" slow movement with weight is good.

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
Thanks heaps namu, great advice
If it's not too much trouble, do you think you could give me like a rough plan of a day's worth of meals? Like, what you eat in a day? Unless it's private or w/e I totally understand

I am not a total expert but I can help as I have

EDIT: Simple exercise is good. Walking is considered the bext exercise. But to "tone up" slow movement with weight is good.
Cool, sounds good. It's mainly my stomach, like I want the female type abs lol, not a six pack just a nice stomach haha

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thanks heaps namu, great advice
If it's not too much trouble, do you think you could give me like a rough plan of a day's worth of meals? Like, what you eat in a day? Unless it's private or w/e I totally understand
I would normally eat:
  • Cereal, juice + fruits in the morning
  • 3 eggs as snacks
  • Tuna or breast chicken + salad for lunch
  • 3 eggs again as snacks
  • rice and stuff for dinner (normal asian food for me ><)
On busy day though, I sometimes have protein-rich drinks or something to make up for eggs. But in all honesty, I only consume like 100g protein which is really nothing. For people like you who don;t want to build up, firstly look at your weight in terms of pound and halve that and consume that amount of protein in grams.

Cool, sounds good. It's mainly my stomach, like I want the female type abs lol, not a six pack just a nice stomach haha
LOL I don't want that either. :p

Most females do cycling thingo...or just running. Some do little weight too just to get a shape.

Last edited:

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Lol you forgot to open the quote for the bold part. For a second I thought you were saying you wanted female abs haha.

Fluorescent

Banned
HSC
I would normally eat:
  • Cereal, juice + fruits in the morning
  • 3 eggs as snacks
  • Tuna or breast chicken + salad for lunch
  • 3 eggs again as snacks
  • rice and stuff for dinner (normal asian food for me ><)
On busy day though, I sometimes have protein-rich drinks or something to make up for eggs. But in all honesty, I only consume like 100g protein which is really nothing. For people like you who don;t want to build up, firstly look at your weight in terms of pound and halve that and consume that amount of protein in grams.

LOL I don't want that either. :p

Most females do cycling thingo...or just running. Some do little weight too just to get a shape.
Uh huh, doesn't sound too difficult, I love eggs so that's awesome lol :)

Thanks I will start tomorrow
I will also go for a run, and maybe a few push ups/sit ups :D

_trickster_

Currently High
HSC
one thing ive learnt though, is that dont just do sit-ups, do a variety of core exercises

try reverse crunch, wall climbers and the such

shuttle_bus5

HSC
I am not a total expert but I can help as I have been doing this particular routine for a while to "tone up" LOL.

Firstly, starting with good food diet is the best idea. You should focus on protine-rich and nutrients-rich food and avoid food that has "bad fat" in it.

For example, I usually consume 6+ boiled eggs per day without yellow part and I eat tuna as well. With that I consume about 100 grams of protein which is ideal for me who doesn't want to build up too much muscle - just very moderate amount. Eating protein also ensures that u burn fat which I don't want.

But when I DO consume food with fat, I make sure it's plant-sourced fat which is considered "good". In terms of carbs, I take in high GI foods like bread + fruits. Low GI foods like lollies are pretty bad for you...they will just make you hyperactive...><

All in all, my diet is pretty healthy. I take in fair amount of protein and adequate amount of carbs here now and then while taking in small fat (but good fat lol). This diet plan also ensures nutrients are coming in well through bread, fruits and protein-rich food.

However, I also need to satisfy my taste-bud so I sometimes have a day when I kinda ignore my diet plan and eat whatever I want but I rarely do it.

Im sorry i have to disagree with this post.
As a female, you don't want to focus to heavily on protein. Too much Protein without resistance training will turn to fat. It will do the opposite of tone. However if you were going to lift weights, then by all means, eat protein. But in females, protein without sufficient resistance training will lead to significant weight gain. If your looking to eat healthy + exercise then I recommend a carb focused diet. As carbs are your primary fuel source when engaging in aerobic activity, all carbs will be burnt whilest exercising. For example a good diet should include, wholemeal bread, pasta, salads, fruits and some meat/fish (for the protein).

As for the exercise part.
The best exercise for achieving health gains is cardio, ie, running, walking, swimming, cycling etc.
Im assuming you havn't been heavily involved in exercise before?
Probably best to start with a 30-40 minute walk twice a week for 3 weeks.
After those 3 weeks move up to an hour walk 3 times a week for another 3 weeks.
After six weeks of walking you should notice an increase in your cardio respiratory fitness, which means you should have no trouble jogging for say 30 minutes.
If you gradually progress from a walk up to a jog over say 6 weeks, and continue to jog say twice a week, you will notice significant gains ie stronger heart, as well as loosing a bit of weight by burning the carbs.
Note: You can switch up running/walking with cycling,swimming etc just make sure you start slow then gradually increase the intensity, duration and frequency every 3 weeks or so. This will ensure your fitness gains don't plateau.

As for toning up, follow what i mentioned above, (which will help you shed any weight), and then do simple exercises, such as sit ups, push ups, squats etc.
Do 2 lots of 10 sit ups every day for a week, then after a week do 2 lots of 15 etc etc.
This will help tighten/increase muscles worked eg abs.
Make sure you do the cardio as well as these exercises.
No use having a 6 pack underneath 2 cms of stomach fat.

Just my 2 cents.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^U know..I am sure I said..."measure ur weight in pound and halve that and take that much protein in grams". That's not much protein at all...For example, let's my weight is around 60kg = 130 pounds and I take 65 grams of protein in that case. THAT'S NOT MUCH at all.

I am sure the recommended daily amount of protein is like 50 grams anyway...

shuttle_bus5

HSC
^U know..I am sure I said..."measure ur weight in pound and halve that and take that much protein in grams". That's not much protein at all...For example, let's my weight is around 60kg = 130 pounds and I take 65 grams of protein in that case. THAT'S NOT MUCH at all.

I am sure the recommended daily amount of protein is like 50 grams anyway...
Protein should make up approximately15%-23% of an average persons diet.
A female looking to tone, without resistance training would be looking at around the 15% mark. Too much and it will be converted to fat. With males its a completely different story.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Protein should make up approximately15%-23% of an average persons diet.
A female looking to tone, without resistance training would be looking at around the 15% mark. Too much and it will be converted to fat. With males its a completely different story.
Yeah, I agree with that part. But you must be aware that the plan that I got up above is MY PLAN. so don't play attention to that...

besdies, I am sure that according to my "formula" (lol), her intake of protein should be around 50-60g imho. That's not much at all. You must assume that 50-60g would def be little bit over 15-23% of an average persons' diet which is ideal for someone looking to shape up (regardless of the person is male or female)

shuttle_bus5

HSC
Yeah, I agree with that part. But you must be aware that the plan that I got up above is MY PLAN. so don't play attention to that...

besdies, I am sure that according to my "formula" (lol), her intake of protein should be around 50-60g imho. That's not much at all. You must assume that 50-60g would def be little bit over 15-23% of an average persons' diet which is ideal for someone looking to shape up (regardless of the person is male or female)
She could be 8 foot and 130kg?

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
Basically, eat salads, fruits, lean meats, cut down on all fatty stuff (replace chocolates/lollies/chips with nuts, replace any fizzy drinks with water).
Also, instead of 3 normal sized meals per day, try to eat 6 smaller meals per day, something about keeping your body in a metabolic state, dunno the exact scientific reason behind it, but it's good.

Do at least 30mins of cardio a day, whether it's running, jogging, swimming, cycling, whatever.
Also do some light weights.

edit: and yeah, i disagreed with lyounamu's post... Protein is for muscle building, 'toning up' basically means shedding fat, because once the fat is gone you can see abs/muscle definition. Also, giant muscles on chicks dont look too good, unless you're a dyke.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)