Weightlifting and height (1 Viewer)

thebigticket

HSC
Jst wondering if u lift weights will u become shorter?
Cause I was thinking about increasing the amount of weight i am currently lifting but i dont know if there are any bad affects of it

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Dont think you'll become shorter, I think you probably wont grow anymore though if you do too much and dont do it properly.

That said I didn't start until I hit atleast 18 due to the fear of not growing anymore.

qwerty44

HSC
It's really a myth whether it stuns your growth but definitely doesn't make shorter.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
given your growth plates are closed when you start lifting, it probably wouldn't do anything

having said that, lifting heavy at a young age (doing squats etc) probably decompresses your spine moreso and could maybe stunt your growth

mirakon

nigga
HSC
If you do it properly you should be fine, I know plenty of gym junkies who are tall

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
If you do it properly you should be fine, I know plenty of gym junkies who are tall

yes but what age did they start lifting. did they train legs

shit like bench pressing would never do anything

there have been quite a few instances of people/powerlifters squatting heavy from a young age.. and the one thing you notice about some of them is that they're pretty short

mirakon

nigga
HSC
yes but what age did they start lifting. did they train legs

shit like bench pressing would never do anything

there have been quite a few instances of people/powerlifters squatting heavy from a young age.. and the one thing you notice about some of them is that they're pretty short
ah yeah they started at 16-18, not sure what they did though

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
This is why I don't do squats (much) :p

Still want to grow moar

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
no bad side effects, doesnt stunt growth.

you get some spinal compression when you squat and deadlift, due to the nature of the forces being exerted on your body, but it's not noticeable, and it's not permanent either.
Your spine decompresses overnight when you sleep anyways (while remaining horizontal), which is why you're a tiny bit taller when you get up in the morning.
I find hanging from a chinup bar quite relaxingn for my spine after a workout of squats and deadlifts.

LOLXD

HSC

you get some spinal compression when you squat and deadlift, due to the nature of the forces being exerted on your body, but it's not noticeable, and it's not permanent either.
Your spine decompresses overnight when you sleep anyways (while remaining horizontal), which is why you're a tiny bit taller when you get up in the morning.
I find hanging from a chinup bar quite relaxingn for my spine after a workout of squats and deadlifts.
^ this, that stretch from dead hang pull up position is amazing afterwards

bertstare

HSC

This.

I dont see a logical way that weightlifting could really make you grow shorter...stunting growth yes, but that's still a stretch.

In fact, since starting weight lifting i've still grown an inch or two despite doing squats and deadlifts on two separate days every single week.

Dedication_

HSC
I've had 9 months experience weight lifting now, and it's all nutrition and form/technique.

Ensure your concentrating on your movements rather than impressing people how much weight you can actually lift. As for diet, weight lifting is 90% diet, 10% effort in the gym - anyone with experience will tell you that. Improve your diet, and improve your workout routine and the results will show.

RishBonjour

HSC
as long as you aren't one of those 12 year old skinny kunts lifting. you should be fine.

Capt Rifle

HSC
Apparently only malnutrition affects your growth, other than that its just genes. Also if you are a guy you will most likely be as tall as your father.

Nathon

HSC
Weight lifting is a game and i don't thin so that it effects our health. am doing this game from last two years. Anyway good topic and nice posts.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)