Weights in general, problem.. (1 Viewer)

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Yesterday, I newly became a member of broadway gym. This is my first time to do weights, use the treadmill and use the bicycle machine . My concern though is when I used the barbell (I'm sure this is the correct name) I struggled to do even 1 up and down motion when it weighed 40kg + the bar, people even came to help me. However, when I used the dumbbell just before I tried the dumbbell, I was able to do 30kg, 35kg and even 40kg with each hand. The 40kg was not easy but certainly doable, i.e. I can sustain it. My question is what do you guys reckon my problem is with the barbell?

Any criticism is appreciated, tell me what I should do to improve. Thanks.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I'm guessing from how you say 40kg + bar that you aren't including the bar in that weight? A proper olympic bar weighs ~20kg, that's a lot of weight on top of the 40kg.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Yeah, the bar is separate with the 40kg - so roughly 60kg total. What really irritated me is how I found the dumbbell like doable without really a problem at all when it was bouncing around 30kg-35kg for each hand (the 40kg I gave to another person because he wanted it really soon, so I didn't do much), but when I used the barbell (where you kind of lie down), I literally almost hurt myself (couldn't move the weight back up) when I tried using a barbell which weights ~60kg.

Why did I experienced this?

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
This might sound like a stupid question, but are you sure you are working out the same muscle group? What lift are you even doing? Your form with dumbbells might be atrocious or you might be doing completely different lifts. You should focus on getting your form spot on before just piling on weight.

Capt Rifle

HSC
Wait let me get this straight, you're saying that it is your first time lifting weights and you are able to lift (curl) 30, 35 and 40 kgs in each hand. Damn...

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
I sincerely doubt you are doing any exercises correctly to begin with, unless you've been doing a whole heap of incredibly intensive sports for years on end, eat a fuckload of food and are possibly of Pacific Island or African American descent.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Sorry, I'm confused with the question a bit. I searched a bit on the internet, to show pictures of what I was doing.

With the barbell I was trying to do this: http://getfityou.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/13-1.jpg

With the dumbbell I was doing this:

http://gofitandhealthy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/standing-dumbbell-curls.jpg (while sitting down)

and

http://gofitandhealthy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/conc_curl.jpg

This will sound weird.. but what do you mean by focus on getting form spot?

Thanks brent.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Wait let me get this straight, you're saying that it is your first time lifting weights and you are able to lift (curl) 30, 35 and 40 kgs in each hand. Damn...
For the 40kg I didn't do it long enough, only about 3 curls since a man in his late 20's or early 30's asked me for it.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Ahh, well the two exercises with the dumbbels are curls (standing and concentration curls) which are for your biceps. The one with the barbell is bench press and is for your chest and triceps. Tbh, you should be able to bench considerably more than you can curl.

Anyway, when i said form i am referring to the movement you do with a lift. If you aren't doing it correctly there is a high chance you could injure yourself and you won't be working out the muscle group properly. You'll want to get your form correct (i.e. spot on). BoS isn't the best place to learn about this, go on youtube or bodybuilding.com

I sincerely doubt you are doing any exercises correctly to begin with, unless you've been doing a whole heap of incredibly intensive sports for years on end, eat a fuckload of food and are possibly of Pacific Island or African American descent.
I'm fairly sure he is exaggerating the numbers for whatever reason. Shouldn't be embarassed about that. Or he could just be a massive troll.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Uh what type of exercise are you doing with a barbell/dumbells? Is it a bench press, bicep curl etc?

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
If you're a beginner, you might be better off sticking to compound exercises (bench press, squat, deadlift, pull up, etc.) than isolation exercises. It's important to train your whole body, not just arms and chest. Also, make sure you have a strong core and near-perfect form before you start increasing the weight. Otherwise, you could end up with a serious injury.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
40kg curls

with one hand

10/10 troll gjdm
FYI, 3 curls isn't a ridiculous amount of curls and I'm not small body-wise. So why would I bother to even troll? I'm asking for help here, for the barbell... I will tell the truth only, but you can believe what ever you want. I successfully just made it to 3 curls, so I'm not just playing around -_-.

Leffife

A lover is a best friend
HSC
N/A
Uh what type of exercise are you doing with a barbell/dumbells? Is it a bench press, bicep curl etc?
With the barbell, I tried doing bench press but honestly I couldn't do even 1 rep (even though it supposed to be easier than using dumbbells).

For dumbbells, I just made 3 bicep curls for the 40kg. For the others, especially the 30kg I mainly sticked with bicep curl. Also I forgot to add I did bench press with the 30kg also.

I think I probably know why now though I couldn't do the barbell properly... I didn't take a good break in between when my arms were already very tired.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
FYI, 3 curls isn't a ridiculous amount of curls and I'm not small body-wise. So why would I bother to even troll? I'm asking for help here, for the barbell... I will tell the truth only, but you can believe what ever you want. I successfully just made it to 3 curls, so I'm not just playing around -_-.
3 reps is pretty useless unless you want to be a power lifter or something.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)