Continue walking 1 hr/day during HSC year? (1 Viewer)

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
I recently started walking 1 hour every day and it feels really good. I am contemplating whether I should continue during HSC. If I do continue, will it affect my chances of getting a 99+ atar? Because I require it for the course I want to get into. What do you think?
I don't want to gain too much weight but I also want to do well in my subjects. I'm a slow learner so I take time to learn stuff but when it clicks I'm good. All opinions welcome. :)

tashe

HSC
N/A
As people in this forum usually say:
¿Por qué no los dos?

On the serious side:
If it clears your mind, then do it.
Also why don't you use it as a sort of reward for studying?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I recently started walking 1 hour every day and it feels really good. I am contemplating whether I should continue during HSC. If I do continue, will it affect my chances of getting a 99+ atar? Because I require it for the course I want to get into. What do you think?
I don't want to gain too much weight but I also want to do well in my subjects. I'm a slow learner so I take time to learn stuff but when it clicks I'm good. All opinions welcome. :)
You should definitely walk an hour a day if it makes you feel good. Regular physical exercise allows your brain to function better and concentrate longer. However, if there are too many assessment tasks you need to prepare for-then perhaps you may need to sacrifice the one hour walking to a shorter time frame during these periods. Walking an hour a day will not affect your HSC year or ATAR as long as you have good time management skills. You can always record your notes on your iPod/phone or some audio device, and listen to your notes while walking-this is called efficient studying:)

If anything, walking an hour a day will likely to improve your results, just make sure you prioritise finishing most of your work/all of your work before you walk, or you walk and then finish your work:). Balance is essential to achieve success in the HSC-enjoy the benefits regular physical exercise will bring:)

There is no need to sleep an hour less if you manage your time well:)Hope this helps:)

moocow920

HSC
In my opinion and personal experience the psychological and physical benefits that walking would give you (including clearing your head and giving yourself a little break therefore increasing your productivity when you return to study after your work), would outweigh the disadvantages of missing possible study time. You need breaks anyway no one can study every waking hour, some people will use theirs for time wasting, games, facebook, internet etc but you can just use your free time in a way that should hopefully have a positive impact

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Either 1 hr of walking or 30 minutes of running (or even better yet, 2 hours of swimming)

Preferably in the morning to get your metabolism up and running for the rest of the day.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Ok so I'm willing to cut back one hour of sleep. Is 7 hours sleep good for the whole HSC year>? Or should I get 8 hours? Someone with experience would be good :)

madharris

HSC
N/A
Ok so I'm willing to cut back one hour of sleep. Is 7 hours sleep good for the whole HSC year>? Or should I get 8 hours? Someone with experience would be good :)
During the holidays you should experiment. Many people can function with 5 hours of sleep whereas others can't. See how your body reacts to 7 hours and if it doesn't react well, then keep sleeping for 8 hours.

Remember though, you need to balance sleep, fun (including exercise and social life) and study

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
I played LoL (3-5games per day) during my HSC exams (5-7hours during normal school days) and still managed a 98+. 1hour of walking per day wouldn't affect your atar at all, if you have the brain...
So i say do it. It's healthy for you too.
Btw, i do regret not studying in those times so take that into account if you plan on doing something stupid like me lel

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Morning is best and you prob spend like atleast 10 mins walking around school from class to class

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Depends on the individual, i went through the the whole hsc year with 4-6 hours on average and despite feeling drained it isn't the end of the world.

The benefits of your excise outweigh the potential drawbacks though, i would strongly recommend you continue doing it if you feel better.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Exercise is better for you than not exercising. If your body is in a crap condition, you're going to perform badly in exams and stuff so keep up the walking!

Verify

HSC
I played LoL (3-5games per day) during my HSC exams (5-7hours during normal school days) and still managed a 98+. 1hour of walking per day wouldn't affect your atar at all, if you have the brain...
So i say do it. It's healthy for you too.
Btw, i do regret not studying in those times so take that into account if you plan on doing something stupid like me lel
Woah so did you play 3-5 games of lol during your HSC exams (october, november) or throughout the year? Such an inspiration ;)

deadpatch

HSC
you might as well hit the gym for 45 mins then finish it off with 15 mins of walking
I wouldn't lose an hour of sleep.
Just study consistently and don't stress too much

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
Planning to hit the gym 3 times a week.

Takes out two hours of my day, since I pick up my friend first (gym partner).

When exam periods come around I probably wont go gym for that period.

:)

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
Woah so did you play 3-5 games of lol during your HSC exams (october, november) or throughout the year? Such an inspiration ;)
even before the 4unit 3unit maths exams lol
but i regret it... i could so easily gotten 99.5+ not that it matter :p

jnney

lemon
HSC
Haha. I'm not how think setting aside an hour of every day to de-stress/ relax would affect your studies negatively in the slightest manner. If anything, taking away something that makes you feel good could be quite detrimental to your mental health regarding the HSC. :)

Quadro

HSC
N/A
Woah, what? Your day is THAT filled, or, it will be THAT filled, that you won't be able to fit 1 hour of free time for walking?

Btw, try not to use any kind of transport when you're heading somewhere, kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)