Cross Country Marathon- training etc. (1 Viewer)

ShadowLighte

HSC
So, how long is your school's cross country? Mine is about 3km but it isn't on a path of field, it's on a variety of terrain from sloping hills, to concrete footpaths, to dirt paths etc. and it's a pain, personally. At the end we get free cool drinks (which I think is cordial or diluted juice) or ice blocks.

Personally, I don't take it at all seriously. Too bad it's compulsory but I might not go to this year's one though it's my last year because I have a few assessments due + it's a waste of time really. At least I don't walk the course though. If I do go, I might train though I have only about a month left to do so.

Do you/ have you ever trained? What do you usually do? Go out twice a week and run laps or something?

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
So, how long is your school's cross country? Mine is about 3km but it isn't on a path of field, it's on a variety of terrain from sloping hills, to concrete footpaths, to dirt paths etc. and it's a pain, personally. At the end we get free cool drinks (which I think is cordial or diluted juice) or ice blocks.

Personally, I don't take it at all seriously. Too bad it's compulsory but I might not go to this year's one though it's my last year because I have a few assessments due + it's a waste of time really. At least I don't walk the course though. If I do go, I might train though I have only about a month left to do so.

Do you/ have you ever trained? What do you usually do? Go out twice a week and run laps or something?
I never trained, but practising makes things significantly easier.

Depending on your fitness, it'll take anywhere from 1 day to 1 month to build towards 3km at a decent pace. By decent pace, I mean < 13 minutes.

Assuming your fitness is average, try the following.

1st day, do 1km and time yourself. Aim for < 5 minutes.

Next, do 1km and try to beat that time by at least 10 seconds.

Repeat until you get < 4 minutes.

Now try 2km and time yourself, aim for < 10 minutes.

Next, do 2km and try to beat that time by at least 20 seconds.

Repeat until you are below 8 minutes (could take 3-4 repeats if you barely made 10 minutes on your first go).

Now try 3km, aim for < 15 minutes.

Keep trying until you get below 13 minutes.

This is a sure way to keep yourself motivated, as the distances are relatively short. Also, it's nice seeing your progress.

btx3

HSC
Uni Grad
I challenge carrotsticks to a 2km race

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I laid the challenge out there, of course im sure. Im so confident we can even put a wager on it haha
Okay haha, you seem really confident! I'm still pretty certain I'd beat you but if you're actually serious then PM and we can decide.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
I never trained, but practising makes things significantly easier.

Depending on your fitness, it'll take anywhere from 1 day to 1 month to build towards 3km at a decent pace. By decent pace, I mean < 13 minutes.

Assuming your fitness is average, try the following.

1st day, do 1km and time yourself. Aim for < 5 minutes.

Next, do 1km and try to beat that time by at least 10 seconds.

Repeat until you get < 4 minutes.

Now try 2km and time yourself, aim for < 10 minutes.

Next, do 2km and try to beat that time by at least 20 seconds.

Repeat until you are below 8 minutes (could take 3-4 repeats if you barely made 10 minutes on your first go).

Now try 3km, aim for < 15 minutes.

Keep trying until you get below 13 minutes.

This is a sure way to keep yourself motivated, as the distances are relatively short. Also, it's nice seeing your progress.
Thanks for this Carrot. I'm going to try and get this done in the next month before my season starts. Plus I need to lose a bit of fat.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I thinking about doing a half marathon next year. I saw all this advertising for the HK marathon which is this Sunday and I know some people who are doing it.

Its one of this bucketlist things I wanna do. A lot of satisfaction after completion.

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I thinking about doing a half marathon next year. I saw all this advertising for the HK marathon which is this Sunday and I know some people who are doing it.

Its one of this bucketlist things I wanna do. A lot of satisfaction after completion.
You have the figure for it. Trust me once you get 5-10km done, adding extra km's feels like nothing.

Once you've gotten to a certain fitness level, it's all about breaking the 'barrier'. Once you've broken it, you'll be able to go on forever.

ShadowLighte

HSC
Sounds like a plan. Would it be better to train with a friend? While they could be there for a motivation boost, training would be more of a personal thing dependent on the individual's fitness level. But otherwise I think it might be more fun.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Sounds like a plan. Would it be better to train with a friend? While they could be there for a motivation boost, training would be more of a personal thing dependent on the individual's fitness level. But otherwise I think it might be more fun.
defs go with a friend. when your tired and near ur limit, you will push yourself a bit further. I guess, for me personally, not letting the other individual down, is enough motivation.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
You have the figure for it. Trust me once you get 5-10km done, adding extra km's feels like nothing.

Once you've gotten to a certain fitness level, it's all about breaking the 'barrier'. Once you've broken it, you'll be able to go on forever.
The 15-16km mark is the one which really gets to me.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
if you basement asians are going to do something stupid like running a marathon, at least take some ZMA so your already low testosterone levels arent lowered even further

http://au.bodybuilding.com/store/now/zma.html?_requestid=321029
"A 1998 study was undertaken on NCAA football players during an 8 week spring training program. The control group was told to cease taking any nutritional supplements. Those who took the ZMA tablets claimed greater increases in muscle strength.[citation needed] This study was funded by SNAC Systems Inc, the intellectual property right holder, and one of the study's authors, Victor Conte, has ownership equity in this company.
In 2004, a study funded by a research grant from Cytodyne (another supplement producing company) with 42 resistance trained males showed that ZMA supplementation had no significant effects on total and free testosterone, IGF-1, growth hormone, cortisol, the ratio of cortisol to testosterone, or muscle and liver enzymes in response to training. No significant effects were observed in changes in strength, upper or lower body muscle endurance, or anaerobic sprint capacity.[3]
In another study done in 2006, a team of German scientists conducted a study on the effect of ZMA and testosterone levels in the body.[4] The result showed an increase in zinc secretions in urine making it much darker like blood, but no effect on the level of testosterone in the body."

interdasting

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)