Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By seremify007
  • 2 Post By seremify007

Thread: Fitbit

HSC
    Uni Grad

Fitbit

We got Fitbit Flex (the cheap basic one) at work the other day (also required us to 'share' our health data with our employer) but I'm curious if people find their fitbits useful after the initial novelty has worn off. I feel a bit odd wearing one with my Apple Watch on the other hand but I do enjoy that my Fitbit doesn't need recharging often and I just leave it on all day/night getting completeness of data (except when I did have to charge it yesterday).

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2006-09 UNSW B Commerce Accounting, Finance
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Back in the day I would have asked you to please give me rep by clicking .

D94
    HSC
    N/A

Re: Fitbit

For me, I simply stopped using it. It was just a bit of a hassle (albeit, small) putting it on and then taking it off, syncing, charging etc. I don't wear watches so I don't have any sort of routine when taking off things like that.

However, my phone (HTC One M8) has a the capability to monitor steps with a few apps, including the fitbit app, and I carry my phone with me almost everywhere so that suffices. The times I don't have my phone with me is likely to be in situations where I don't walk much anyway, so it makes the fitbit itself redundant.

I could use it for sport/exercise, but intensity isn't only measured in steps and I can personally gauge how effective the session was, without using the fitbit.
    HSC Raw Marks Database - Band 6 Raw Marks

HSC
    N/A

I used to own a FitBit Flex HR and used it for about 2 months. After a while it felt quite pointless and seeming that it was a general hassle to wear around i decided to sell it.
    Super Moderator

HSC

Lost mine in a month, putting it on and taking it off was such a hassle (and hence the reason why I lost it, as I took it off to eat a meal and forgot about it)
    Rip
    Explore the world.
    Join me

B Commerce (Finance) / B Science @ UNSW

"If you do all good, and one bad, the good will not be mentioned."

HSC
    Uni Grad

Hmm I haven't taken it off much other than to charge. Surprisingly the simplicity of the device has been good. Even bought one for the fiance too. It's also been quite fun competing with people from the office. That being said the RRP of the Flex (basic model) at $150 is a shocker so I'm glad that the one I bought online from someone else (BNIB) was only $55.

2000-05 BHHS UAI: 97 Ext 1 Mathematics, Adv English, Economics, Business Studies, IPT (SR)
    2010-11 Institute of Chartered Accountants GradDipCA TAX110, MAA210, AAA310 (M), FIN111, EBA211 (M)

Existential Crisis InsoulvencyReaper's Avatar
    HSC

Quote Originally Posted by seremify007 View Post
    We got Fitbit Flex (the cheap basic one) at work the other day (also required us to 'share' our health data with our employer) but I'm curious if people find their fitbits useful after the initial novelty has worn off. I feel a bit odd wearing one with my Apple Watch on the other hand but I do enjoy that my Fitbit doesn't need recharging often and I just leave it on all day/night getting completeness of data (except when I did have to charge it yesterday).
    I don't have one personally, but my sister uses it and the purpose her firm brought it in, was that it provides management a platform to compete with each other and for them to set an example in fitness and health in the office.

She's been using it for a couple of months and has mentioned to me to that it helps her stay on top of her fitness goals (she had a step goal for the end of day/week) and her sleeping patterns, especially since she sometimes works 14 hour days.
    B Business, Accounting and Business Law - UTS (Graduate of 2018) #SerialTransferee #EternalStudent #UACHallofFame

HSC
    N/A

I've never understood them to be honest.

HSC
    Uni Grad

It's more about the social competition and egging each other on. Worked for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The pessimistic optimist. BLIT2014's Avatar
    HSC
    Uni Grad
    l’appel du vide

Got 1-2 minutes ? Please do my survey :P https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8ZPYZSD
    Moderator of Macquarie University

HSC
    Uni Grad

With fitbits, I think they are actually pretty good for elderly folks because it has the ability to track sleeping patterns and heart rate which is pretty useful when dealing with insomnia or anger/stress management. I bought one each for my rents, what was funny is that they started to challenge each other to be active more.

I am surprised on how employers care about their employees by buying the fitbits haha

Quote Originally Posted by Oer View Post
    I am grateful for Rhino's existence

HSC
    Uni Grad

I wonder if it helps in talent management or at least insurance lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSC
    Uni Grad

I realised when my Fitbit ran out of battery and I lost half a day of steps... this actually annoyed me greatly!
    soloooooo likes this.

HSC
    Uni Grad

It's okay. I used it to gauge how much I was burning during exercise but outside of that I don't use it. I have a charge HR
    UTS Bus/Law IV
    On track for Sem 1 2018 graduation

HSC
    Uni Grad

My fitbit flex broke as it could no longer hold battery charge (at all) but I swapped for a replacement unit reasonably quickly. Beats me how it breaks given it really only does like... one thing.

HSC
    N/A

I have thought about getting one although since I don't really do any exercise at all I'm not sure it would be of too much benefit. I'd want the HR one with the heartrate function although they look like they are bulky.

Did your employer make you wear it or was it optional? It sort of seems like an invasion of privacy.

a bedroom philosopher Blue Suede's Avatar
    HSC

I'm going to do City2Surf this year and thinking of getting one so I can track roughly how many steps would be the 14k and what paths I should use to train etc.

No one is going to give you the education you need to overthrow them.

HSC

Are these worth it compared to the integrated health apps you can get on the app store which also count on your steps, can do heart rates etc.. (assuming you have a high end phone with the features needed)

KZK
    HSC

I like it, I recently got mine, and find its really great. I recently lost my phone, so it was really useful to use as a watch. I also play lots of sports, and work out a bit, so i like being able to see how far i've walked and how many calories i've burnt.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by soloooooo View Post
    I have thought about getting one although since I don't really do any exercise at all I'm not sure it would be of too much benefit. I'd want the HR one with the heartrate function although they look like they are bulky.

Did your employer make you wear it or was it optional? It sort of seems like an invasion of privacy.
    It's optional - could choose whether you wanted a device or not, and it's also optional to sign up to share data with the company. That being said I think some of the bosses were encouraged to wear.

As for the heartrate function- it seems to be useful in making this more than just an overglorified pedometer.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Suede View Post
    I'm going to do City2Surf this year and thinking of getting one so I can track roughly how many steps would be the 14k and what paths I should use to train etc.
    I reckon if your'e willing to spend a bit more, get an advanced one which has like GPS and heartrate tracking to make it more meaningful in providing data analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Chronost View Post
    Are these worth it compared to the integrated health apps you can get on the app store which also count on your steps, can do heart rates etc.. (assuming you have a high end phone with the features needed)
    Key thing is the assumption of whether you will wear your phone with you at all times when running/etc - I often leave my phone on my desk when I'm at work, and I don't keep it on me when I'm at home. I like having the fitness tracker just always on without having to worry much or think about it - this was my biggest issue with pedometers too. Getting one with good software to both let you analyse what you did as well as compete with friends (gamification!) is what will help make it more interesting.

Cadet
    HSC

i liked mine alot till it mc died in da humidity :'( my mudda gave it to me for chrissy one time.

HSC
    Uni Grad

Alot of people I speak to have said their Fitbits have died just from normal use.. maybe they're just not built to last.

But my company is giving out gift vouchers (upto $1k) depending on where we rank in the top 10 walkers in the company!... now that's incentive.

Cadet
    HSC

Alot of people I speak to have said their Fitbits have died just from normal use.. maybe they're just not built to last.

But my company is giving out gift vouchers (upto $1k) depending on where we rank in the top 10 walkers in the company!... now that's incentive.
    does your company do standing desks as well so you can tense your core to work and maximise the fitness?

HSC
    N/A

why do people overcomplicate the fuck out of exercising

it seems like every time someone wants to start execising they have to buy some expensive piece of crap instead of, yknow, going out and exercising

HSC
    Uni Grad

Quote Originally Posted by the_l3mon_r00m View Post
    does your company do standing desks as well so you can tense your core to work and maximise the fitness?
    Not mandatory but some ppl do.

HSC
    N/A

I recently purchased a Fitbit Blaze and I'm loving it. Flawless experience so far with little to no hassle.
    Super Moderator

Thread Information