why does going to the psychologist cost money (1 Viewer)

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
going to the dentist, doctor and optometrist are all for free (because of medicare) but why do you need to pay for going to a psychologist?

iStudent

HSC
I don't believe going to the dentist or optometrist is covered by medicare? (but covered by private health insurance iirc) - correct me if I am wrong (maybe some services are covered).

In any case, if you need to see a psychologist - you could consider asking your GP for a mental health care plan which entitles you to *I think* free 5 visits to the psychologist.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I went to one before there was like 5 free sessions, but if you want like a more experienced one you have to pay but you do get some money back through Medicare

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I don't believe going to the dentist or optometrist is covered by medicare? (but covered by private health insurance iirc) - correct me if I am wrong (maybe some services are covered).

In any case, if you need to see a psychologist - you could consider asking your GP for a mental health care plan which entitles you to *I think* free 5 visits to the psychologist.
optom is covered

Jaxxnuts

HSC
N/A
I went to one before there was like 5 free sessions, but if you want like a more experienced one you have to pay but you do get some money back through Medicare
Oh so if you've never been to a psychologist/psychiatrist and then tell them you've never been to a psychologist/psychiatrist before and they'll let you have a free session?

If you have private health insurance would going to the psychologist be for free?

iStudent

HSC
Oh so if you've never been to a psychologist/psychiatrist and then tell them you've never been to a psychologist/psychiatrist before and they'll let you have a free session?

If you have private health insurance would going to the psychologist be for free?
Why don't you consider calling one of them to ask about this further? :)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad

There was some form through my gp that I had to like fill out, there is a waiting list most likely. It still costs something but you don't have to pay the full thing

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Pretty sure dentist is paid but medicare gives you $1000 free per year or something, and optometrist is free (or covered by something).

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
going to the dentist, doctor and optometrist are all for free (because of medicare) but why do you need to pay for going to a psychologist?
Instead of flossing your teeth, psychologists floss your brain. Flossing the brain takes work and most people are not going to do it for free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)