Poll: Are you trying to lose weight?

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: losing weight?

HSC
    on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
    Quote Originally Posted by _Bushra_
    The easiest way to lose weight is to travel. Its also fun and fulfilling. I went to Malaysia and India after the HSC (just got back) and I've lost about 3-4 kilos...
    that's quite an expensive way to lose 3-4 kilos! lol plus some people actually gain weight when travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by *~Dazed~*
    Seems to me that in order to sustain the healthy diets you people are talking about you need to not have a job nor a life.
    that's not the case i have a job at a shopping centre and i have easy access to hot chips, hamburgers, kebabs, etc. but if you're willing to eat healthy and lose weight, there's simple alternatives. like taking lunch from home or choosing a salad sandwich rather than maccas. As for not having a life, me losing 10 kilos gave me a life rather than took it away i now have more energy to do lots of things, i feel more confident in the way i dress and the increase in confidence makes u feel awesome.

if it pains u to go out to dinner with friends coz u know ur friends are going to Maccas or some restaurant, there are alternatives in getting a pizza or something fried and fatty. you don't have to let it control you.

I wouldn't particularly go for porridge lol but it is very good for you. however, if u can't stomach it, there are alternatives.

let's not forget that everyone's idea of the "perfect diet" is very different.

I think the reason why Always suggested exercising in the morning was because, by the afternoon, if you've been workign all day, you're often too buggered to exercise. im unsure of which time of the day is best to exercise. i guess it depends on you. sometimes i'd rather exercise in the morning, and sometimes i do it at night.

work out a diet that suits YOU. i also recommed eating 6 meals a day.
    your usual breakfast, lunch and dinner, plus 2 meals inbetween and 1 after dinner. have a look at the CSIRO healthy eating book. it's only $20 from Myer and it's got a whole heap of suggestions for meals.
    B Education (English)/B Arts (Psych) @ USYD 3rd year

In my heart, in my head, it's so clear now,
    Hold my hand you've got nothing to fear now,
    I was lost and you've rescued me some how-.
    I'm alive, I'm in love you complete me,
    And I've never been here before.
    Now I see, what love means.

HSC
    I think the reason why Always suggested exercising in the morning was because, by the afternoon, if you've been workign all day, you're often too buggered to exercise.
    ]

Possibly, although I'm more inclined to believe that she thinks exercising in the morning, before breakfast, will mean you burn body fat; whereas exercising later in the day after food wil mean you only burn these calories and not bodyfat. However, this is not true. While you wont have much blood glucose in the morning, you will still have muscle glycogen. Thus, exercising at such a time will be more detrimental as you are getting your energy from an intramuscular source = muscle catabolism.
    Moreover, as I explained in my previous post, exercise results in the metabolism of both calories and fat (or carbs and protein).

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Catwalk
    i'm trying to lose weight before school starts again and it's so, so hard. when i go out i eat junk, when i'm home i eat junk as well.
    is anyone else trying to lose weight? maybe we could all share tips or something.
    im 160cm and i weigh 51kg currently. i wanna be 46kg in 4 weeks time. realistic or not?
    anyway, how much do you weigh and how much do you want to weigh?
    (btw, im not sure where to post this. just posted in F+L cos i figured more girls browse this forum)
    Your Body Mass Index

The Height you entered is 160 centimeters. The Weight you entered is 51 kilograms.
    Your Calculated BMI is: 19.9

18.5 – 24.9 = Normal

i know i'm not extremely fat or anything so i don't mean to insult anyone that's bigger than me. but i would like to be thinner especially since i'm asian and all other asians are skinny shits (as my parents love to remind me).
    The problem isnt your weight but your relationship with your parents and need to fufill their expectations.

Losing weight is not starving yourself but eating the right foods and the right amounts. If you find yourself snacking then don't buy those snacks or instead drink a glass of water when you feel the urge to snack.

Do not eat until your full. That feeling is gained when you've met your needs however it takes minutes before you feel full and hence most of the time you eat more than you need.

Contrary to what people say. You don't actually lose weight during sex. Google up the rep

Quote Originally Posted by _Bushra_
    The easiest way to lose weight is to travel. Its also fun and fulfilling. I went to Malaysia and India after the HSC (just got back) and I've lost about 3-4 kilos...
    Best way to lost weight is to travel?

I went to the US and boy did I gain weight.

Travelling is exploring culture and environment. One of these being FOOD.

NOTE: If your only considering to lose weight by eating less/properly then your a fool to ignore excercise. Just because you thin doesn't mean your healthy.

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by bscienceboi
    Your Body Mass Index
    The Height you entered is 160 centimeters. The Weight you entered is 51 kilograms.
    18.5 – 24.9 = Normal
    where'd u find a BMI calculator?

HSC
    google BMI calculator.

i wouldnt judge it based on BMI. it doesn't bring into account muscle or bone weight.
    my brother's BMI suggests that he is obese, but he is far from. he is just heavily boned and very muscly.

HSC
    also you've got to be aware that BMI is not to be used by those under 18 and isnt at all right for asian people. the CSIRO diet book that someone mentioned is excellent because it breaks down exactly what you should eat and when (eg fats, carbs, proteins) in order to lose weight or maintain a healthy one. and its actually all scientific stuff. Oh, and the meals are yummy too.

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by hYperTrOphY
    How does changing your eating habits equate to having no life?
    For me, it affects all aspects of my life, however for most it will not be this intense.
    I said this because, say you are out at 2am... you haven't eaten anything since dinner at say, 6pm-7pm (ideally according to the rule no food after 7). You WILL be hungry so you will want/need to eat.
    If you are up and about all day, its hard to be hungry that often and let alone find time to eat. Especially if you eat a good breakfast and thus not get hungry and what not.

If you have a job that you have to work say 8am-5.30pm with a 1/2 hour break, when are you going to fit in these healthy snacks and what not. Yeah you can eat a healthy lunch, im not saying that its hard to avoid takeaway because its not, but you will eat breakfast at 7ish and then lunch and then dinner. That is all. OR if you have a break later, at like 4, as if you are hungry for dinner, unless you have dinner much later at like 9 which is 'not healthy'.
    Or if you work nights, you eat before your shift, then finish at 11 and then what?
    etc etc etc you get my drift
    Ok its easy to make healthy food options, but basically what i am saying is it is extremely difficult to eat these 6 small meals a day... for me personally it is hard enought to eat 3.
    Last edited by *~Dazed~*; 14 Jan 2006 at 11:59 AM.

Love Addict - Nakashima Dreamerish*~'s Avatar
    HSC
    I said this because, say you are out at 2am... you haven't eaten anything since dinner at say, 6pm-7pm (ideally according to the rule no food after 7). You WILL be hungry so you will want/need to eat.
    If you are up and about all day, its hard to be hungry that often and let alone find time to eat. Especially if you eat a good breakfast and thus not get hungry and what not.

If you have a job that you have to work say 8am-5.30pm with a 1/2 hour break, when are you going to fit in these healthy snacks and what not. Yeah you can eat a healthy lunch, im not saying that its hard to avoid takeaway because its not, but you will eat breakfast at 7ish and then lunch and then dinner. That is all. OR if you have a break later, at like 4, as if you are hungry for dinner, unless you have dinner much later at like 9 which is 'not healthy'.
    Or if you work nights, you eat before your shift, then finish at 11 and then what?
    etc etc etc you get my drift
    Ok its easy to make healthy food options, but basically what i am saying is it is extremely difficult to eat these 6 small meals a day... for me personally it is hard enought to eat 3.
    You don't have to bother with the 6 meals a day.

One rule - don't eat when you're not hungry.

Also, drink water or eat fruit before a meal. You don't have to live on salads, but avoid deep-fried and high-sugar foods - everything else should be fine.

As for exercise, if you have no time, exercise by taking the stairs instead of the lift, walk home instead of having someone pick you up, etc.
    uai :: 98.20 | b. pharmacy @ usyd | no more chemistry students til '07

Cadet
    HSC
    hmmm.. can anyone give me an overview of the CSIRO diet?

Your Body Mass Index

18.5 – 24.9 = Normal
    I KNOW MY WEIGHT IS "NORMAL".

The problem isnt your weight but your relationship with your parents and need to fufill their expectations.
    uh... no? nevertheless, it all comes back to my weight.

i don't CARE if my weight's normal, i KNOW i'm healthy, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to be THINNER.

thanks for your.. concern.

HSC
    hmmm.. can anyone give me an overview of the CSIRO diet?

I KNOW MY WEIGHT IS "NORMAL".

uh... no? nevertheless, it all comes back to my weight.

i don't CARE if my weight's normal, i KNOW i'm healthy, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to be THINNER.

thanks for your.. concern.
    Yeah, Bscienceboi, don't you know that these days, normal = fat?

In fact, most "underweight" girls are still trying to be thinner. It's so unhealthy.

I understand your desire to lose weight and be 45 kg instead of 51 kg, but you're not overweight. Even if you don't end up losing a lot, don't despair. Curves are attractive, and the ideal weight for women from the men's point of view is many kilograms heavier than from the women's.

HSC
    Well I would hope you're not out that late every night... If it's only one day a week, then it isn't going to be a major problem. Nevertheless, if you are out you could always take something to eat. Ground oats, whey and natural peanut butter in a shaker.

It may be difficult at first. But as you eat more frequently, your metabolism will increase and your body will want food more often.

If you have a job that you have to work say 8am-5.30pm with a 1/2 hour break, when are you going to fit in these healthy snacks and what not.
    You work 9.5 hours and only get a 30 minute break? If this is true, it would be very difficult for you to follow a sound diet.

EDIT: Could you request two 15 minute breaks?
    Meal 1: 7am
    Meal 2: 11am
    Meal 3: 3pm
    Meal 4: 6pm
    Meal 5: 8:30pm
    Meal 6: Before bed

Meals 5 and 6 could be spread out further depending on how late you go to bed. So, while not optimal, I suppose you could achieve it.

OR if you have a break later, at like 4, as if you are hungry for dinner, unless you have dinner much later at like 9 which is 'not healthy'.
    Once your metabolism increases eating every few hours will not be difficult at all. Also, eating at 9 isn't 'not healthy'. You just have to eat the right fods at such a time.

I guess it is fair to say that different people will find it easier/harder depending on their cicumstances. Personally, I don't work at the moment, so my diet is rigidly followed and has been for a very long time. I dont know you exact circumstances so providing suggestions is a little difficult.
    With that said, I know people who are employed, attend university, train 14 times per week and follow an extremely detailed and rigid dieting schedule. So, it can be done. Another key factor is probably how much you are willing to sacrifice.

You don't have to bother with the 6 meals a day.
    Can you justify your statement please? Are you suggesting that eating 6+ meals per day is less optimal than eating 3? I would surely hope not.

You don't have to live on salads
    You shouldn't be living on salad!!
    Last edited by hYperTrOphY; 14 Jan 2006 at 1:30 PM.

HSC
    Can you justify your statement please? Are you suggesting that eating 6+ meals per day is less optimal than eating 3? I would surely hope not.

You don't have to live on salads

You shouldn't be living on salad!!
    Calm down, tiger.

Dazed was talking about how it might be inconvenient for a busy person to fit 6 small meals into their schedule. I'm saying, it doesn't matter whether you have 6 meals or 3, as long as your meals are healthy and you're getting your RDI of vitamins and minerals, you'll be fine.

I don't believe I said it was more or less optimal. Of course, there is nothing wrong with 3 meals a day. I've been doing it for as long as I can remember.

Yes, yes. You shouldn't be living on salad, which is basically what I meant. I just thought "don't have to" sounds somewhat less aggresive.

Cadet
    HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamerish*~

In fact, most "underweight" girls are still trying to be thinner. It's so unhealthy.

I understand your desire to lose weight and be 45 kg instead of 51 kg, but you're not overweight. Even if you don't end up losing a lot, don't despair. Curves are attractive, and the ideal weight for women from the men's point of view is many kilograms heavier than from the women's.
    for the last time: i. know. i'm. not. overweight.

got it? excellent!

glad you understand my desire to be thinner. and as for curves (god please no), i don't find them attractive and the day i become "curvy" i will be on a more drastic diet i assure you.

HSC
    I'm saying, it doesn't matter whether you have 6 meals or 3, as long as your meals are healthy and you're getting your RDI of vitamins and minerals, you'll be fine.
    There is a difference between being 'fine' and wanting to achieve specific goals though.

Of course, there is nothing wrong with 3 meals a day. I've been doing it for as long as I can remember.
    Well, there is something wrong with only 3 meals a day if you have set yourself certain goals to gain/lose weight. You having 3 meals per day is not justification that there is nothing wrong with the practice.

Catwalk, can you post a picture (unless you would feel uncomfortable)?

Cadet
    HSC

for the last time: i. know. i'm. not. overweight.

got it? excellent!

glad you understand my desire to be thinner. and as for curves (god please no), i don't find them attractive and the day i become "curvy" i will be on a more drastic diet i assure you.

HSC

I weigh 80 kgs and my height is 185 cm i'm trying to get down to 65 by the time I go back to school and by december when I turn 18 I want the perfect body, already dieting, started on 11th now 14th have lost 4kgs can I lose the rest in time and have body I want by the end of the year?

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by todd_2005
    I weigh 80 kgs and my height is 185 cm i'm trying to get down to 65 by the time I go back to school and by december when I turn 18 I want the perfect body, already dieting, started on 11th now 14th have lost 4kgs can I lose the rest in time and have body I want by the end of the year?
    Why do you want to lose so much weight?? Do you know what you body fat percentage is?

You are male, correct?

HSC
    If you are male, I don't think u need to drop to 65kgs. Especially since you're 185cm!

It doesn't matter how many times we say, "u don't need to lose weight, ur so skinny" etc, the girls in this thread are not going to listen. they have their mind set, so let them be

what we (or I, i guess) suggest is don't stop eating. That's the most ridiculous thing ever. Don't exercise more than once a day, because if for a few days u stop, ur body goes out of whack and can't handle it. One hour of exercise a day is plenty. I also recommend eating 6 healthy meals a day.

To the member who asked what the CSIRO diet consists of, u can google it, or see my previous post on page 1 (or 2?) about what i eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks.

Executive Member
    HSC
    N/A

OMG look at me I'm a mod, can you see my uber small writing and my lack of net etiquette? :P Sorry I just HAD to do that

Normal = Fat?

I can see the future now. Walking skeletons.

BTW. I havent read a 'proper' answer to why 'normal' people would want to lose more weight besides improving their looks.

HSC
    i'm trying to lose weight before school starts again and it's so, so hard. when i go out i eat junk, when i'm home i eat junk as well.
    is anyone else trying to lose weight? maybe we could all share tips or something.
    im 160cm and i weigh 51kg currently. i wanna be 46kg in 4 weeks time. realistic or not?
    anyway, how much do you weigh and how much do you want to weigh?
    (btw, im not sure where to post this. just posted in F+L cos i figured more girls browse this forum)
    You are like, perfect. Don't loose weight. Just focus on being healthy and fit. Oh and school too. If you worry about your weight ( and you do not need to ) it will effect everything: you will become unfit, unhealthy and u will worry more about your weight than achieving more important personal goals like your HSC! If you are meant to be thinner and you already eat healthly, then the weight will just come off by itself anyways. It the age. That's what happened to mine, and believe me I LOVE FOOD SO FKN MUCH. I just eat well ( 175cm / 59kg ).
    Want your own clan forum? #aaNet on ETG or goto aaNet Games
    Support #avidity on EnterTheGame.com

Tertiary Education 2006/07
    Diploma of Graphic Design at The Design Centre, Enmore *claps*

2005 UAI

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by LexxY
    You are like, perfect. Don't loose weight. Just focus on being healthy and fit. Oh and school too. If you worry about your weight ( and you do not need to ) it will effect everything: you will become unfit, unhealthy and u will worry more about your weight than achieving more important personal goals like your HSC! If you are meant to be thinner and you already eat healthly, then the weight will just come off by itself anyways. It the age. That's what happened to mine, and believe me I LOVE FOOD SO FKN MUCH. I just eat well ( 175cm / 59kg ).
    exactly! but catwalk has her mind set on losing weight (as she has pointed out to us many times in this thread so far) so i guess we'll just have to see how she goes. *fingers crossed*

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names-
    John F. Kennedy (1917 - 1963)

HSC
    Possibly, although I'm more inclined to believe that she thinks exercising in the morning, before breakfast, will mean you burn body fat; whereas exercising later in the day after food wil mean you only burn these calories and not bodyfat. However, this is not true. While you wont have much blood glucose in the morning, you will still have muscle glycogen. Thus, exercising at such a time will be more detrimental as you are getting your energy from an intramuscular source = muscle catabolism.
    That's what textbooks will tell you, but in the weight-loss world, it's not true. Most people who want to lose weight will have a relatively high fat storage, so their bodies will more willingly utilise fat as a source of energy. Yes, a little muscle tissue will be lost but it will be worth it during the first stages of weight loss. The aim is to lose the fat. Toning's the easy part.

I am frequently out past 2am but I don't think it affects by eating patterns. If you have had an adequate dinner, you wouldn't/shouldn't be eating anything afterwards. If I'm ever hungry at that time, I just drink cups of hot tea or warm water until my hunger is curbed. Hot drinks are effective because warm liquids will expand in your stomach, making you feel full.

It may be difficult at first. But as you eat more frequently, your metabolism will increase and your body will want food more often.
    Would it be mean of me to say I found this statement amusing? The point is to train your body to want less food.
    I don't stand by the 6-meals-a-day rule. Three substantial meals a day plus healthy, light snacks in between is optimal, imo. Though I'm curious to know -what would you recommend they have for each of those 6 meals?

Quote Originally Posted by todd_2005
    I do NOT think you should drop to 65 kgs. That is ridiculously light for a male. I think you should concentrate on converting body fat into muscle.
    Fat Like Me.

HSC
    That's what textbooks will tell you, but in the weight-loss world, it's not true. Most people who want to lose weight will have a relatively high fat storage, so their bodies will more willingly utilise fat as a source of energy.
    I don't think a person's body fat percentage dictates their source of energy. This is determined by the intensity of their exercise.

Yes, a little muscle tissue will be lost but it will be worth it during the first stages of weight loss. The aim is to lose the fat. Toning's the easy part
    If Catwalk was obese, I would not be so worried with working out on an empty stomach. However, she is far from obese, or even overweight.

Would it be mean of me to say I found this statement amusing? The point is to train your body to want less food.
    I disagree. Most people - in my opinion - are not eating enough, or at least not frequently enough. Most people probably don't even know how much they should have having because they haven't calculated their caloric requirements.

I don't stand by the 6-meals-a-day rule. Three substantial meals a day plus healthy, light snacks in between is optimal, imo. Though I'm curious to know -what would you recommend they have for each of those 6 meals?
    Depend on the time of day and the person's goals. But generally each meal should have a low GI, complex carbohydrate, solid protein source and essential fatty acid. However, the macronutrient ratio of each meal will depend on the time of day and whether its pre/post workout etc.
    What you do is calculate your caloric requirements and macronutrient ratio and then you use the foods such as those below to ensure these calculations are met:

Protein: chicken breast, LEAN steak, egg whites, protein powder, tuna etc
    Carbs: brown rice, sweet potato, porridge etc
    Fats: Fish oil capsules, flax seed oil, salmon, nuts etc

HSC
    see. the past 2 days, i tried this whole 6-meal-a-day thing but i can't do it. i feel like im eating alllllllll the time and that makes me sad. unless you count snacks (like a few nuts or a piece of fruit) as one of these 'meals' even then my normal eating habits don't equate to 6-a-day.

HSC
    Quote Originally Posted by melimoo
    see. the past 2 days, i tried this whole 6-meal-a-day thing but i can't do it. i feel like im eating alllllllll the time and that makes me sad. unless you count snacks (like a few nuts or a piece of fruit) as one of these 'meals' even then my normal eating habits don't equate to 6-a-day.
    Post what you have been eating.

Page 5 of 44 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information