• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How much does your school rank affect your UAI? (1 Viewer)

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Yes really. Well, if you want to be pedantic about it then it effects it at the most superficial and miniscule scale.

Think about it, if you're coming average in a low ranking school, and you entered a selective school - you'd be ranked pretty low as the cohort in selective school would be better than the low ranking school. Which then evens out anyways, and the whole notion of "grade dragging you up" is negligble.

Really, you can get 100UAI at any school.

runnable

HSC
No effect whatsoever. 7th time I answered this question this week. (I've been counting.)

It may come in because of quality of teaching etc but thats it.

danz90

HSC
The only thing that advantages high ranking schools is the moderation process. High ranked schools will have a large batch of marks skewed to band5+6, meaning even if you're ranked in top 20, you are pretty much secured a good HSC Mark, since your rank will allocate you a band 5 or 6 assessment mark (not always, though).

But, even though I go to a school ranked around 440 (with not such a 'successful' cohort), that doesn't hinder MY ability of achieving great HSC Marks and thus a high UAI.

Just keep in mind... UAC does not use your school rank in calculating your UAI, only raw HSC Marks obtained from BOS.

runnable

HSC
danz90 said:
The only thing that advantages high ranking schools is the moderation process. High ranked schools will have a large batch of marks skewed to band5+6, meaning even if you're ranked in top 20, you are pretty much secured a good HSC Mark, since your rank will allocate you a band 5 or 6 assessment mark (not always, though).

But, even though I go to a school ranked around 440 (with not such a 'successful' cohort), that doesn't hinder MY ability of achieving great HSC Marks and thus a high UAI.

Just keep in mind... UAC does not use your school rank in calculating your UAI, only raw HSC Marks obtained from BOS.
High ranking schools receive good moderation because of the actual high quality of their cohort and good performance in external HSC. Not because of their ranks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)