Speeches anyone? (1 Viewer)

lucy-may

HSC
Does anyone agree that the question was extremely generic and easy to approach?:eek:

I had this massive fear that they'd force us to write on Atwood or another equally as twisted speech, lol. (you know how they can specificy a speech to write on)

Hmmm....doesn't look like anyone actually does speeches. Figures, 'cause there's no resources on it.

Last edited:

emo-kid-91

Cheer me up?
HSC
my class did speeches! and i agree, it was very easy. i just nattered on about socrates and king and how they were "masters of oratory" or some such rot. i was dreading pearson, to be honest - i cannot stand that speech and with my luck, it would have been the set one.

Noodles88

HSC
Yeh speeches was a pretty easy one.

If they gave us a specific speech to do that i hadn't studied much, well i would have been in the shit then, so i'm glad they didn't!

Jaspal

HSC
Yeah Speeches was nice =] I Did Lincoln, Keating but also made references to some of the other speeches =]

laa.musique

Executive Member
HSC
twas ok i did king and goldman .. but what exactly ARE rhetorical techniques cos i kind of made it up and talked about all the techniques i could think of

andynhan

HSC
THANK goodness it was a simple question.. that just basically required us to analyze it.. my fear was of the specifying of speeches OR 3 speeches... all went well for this part :D:D

Clever Chick

2008- Year 12
HSC
lucy-may said:
Does anyone agree that the question was extremely generic and easy to approach?:eek:

I had this massive fear that they'd force us to write on Atwood or another equally as twisted speech, lol. (you know how they can specificy a speech to write on)

Hmmm....doesn't look like anyone actually does speeches. Figures, 'cause there's no resources on it.
OMG same
last nite i feared they would specify so i went over all teh speechs trying to learn them all and now realize it was all a waste of time lol

i ended up choosing Lincoln and Levetov

the question was so broad

fitted perfectly to my concept

loved it

tnosrac

HSC
I did Luther King and Havel, thought that they worked together ok, about them talking all about different kinds of freedom

Cerry

HSC
I did Lincoln and King, and crapped on about both of them using the rhetoric devices to bring the audience together so that they could achieve their goals or something like that. I was really glad that they didn't specify, cause I actually had a nightmare about it last night (of course, they were never going to specify something that wasn't a speech and wasn't on the syllabus like in my dream, but you know...), and I was totally unprepared for a couple of them.

jasonml

jay son em el
HSC
I originally had prepared to to Cicero, Socrates and Lincoln, but as soon as i read the question i decided i was way better off to do Goldman instead of Socrates. Even though i hadent prepared for Goldman, i knew the speech well enough, and it is littered with rhetoric devices.

and yeah.. the moral of the story is, if you pre-plan essays - be ready to totally change your path, otherwise say HELLOOOOOOO to band 1

AMYzing

HEYY ITS AMY!
HSC
I had more time near the end and went back and added King to go with my arguments on Keating and Lincoln.. I was happy with the question and I figure "at least" gave me the option to write another guy in.

nrs1990

HSC
Liked the question. Was so glad they didn't specify... Plus, I had this fear that they'd make us write in some twisted other text type rather than an essay -- like, say, a speech.

Did Lincoln and Goldman. They work well together, since they're both talking about democracy, but have such different stances on how democractic America really is.

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
yeah it was pretty general hey. but thats ok cos it worked really well with lincoln and king

carla294

That Girl..
HSC
I loved this question, because it was so broad i could mould my prepared essay perfectly. I did Lincoln and Havel, but knew enough on King to fit it in if necessary. I would of been screwed if they asked on any other speech.

jcsmith

HSC
I thought my school was the only one who did speeches! Hooray!

We do it 'cause teachers at my school wrote the syllabus.

I talked about King - what's more memorable than that - and Emma Goldman's.

SO relieved they didn't ask for a specific one. It's rude to do that - only very few people could actually correctly answer the question.

frontman

HSC
jasonml said:
I originally had prepared to to Cicero, Socrates and Lincoln, but as soon as i read the question i decided i was way better off to do Goldman instead of Socrates. Even though i hadent prepared for Goldman, i knew the speech well enough, and it is littered with rhetoric devices.

and yeah.. the moral of the story is, if you pre-plan essays - be ready to totally change your path, otherwise say HELLOOOOOOO to band 1
Serious??

The question was perfect for a planned essay. It was basically the elective statement. "Talk about techniques" - which is what you do in any essay anyway!

Also Socrates is hectic! He uses so many techniques - pretentious techniques. Philophronesis, paraprosdokian, polyptoton, paralleism, parenthesis, etc - and thats just in the one sentence where he's talking about judging his sons! So yeah basically I want to have Socrates' babies.

Last edited:

Azreil

HSC
Ohhhh yeah.

Socrates and Goldman, baby. 'Twas perfect.

Anyone who had done the "deeply held ideal" question was especially sorted.

Anita8888

HSC
yeah i did king and goldman.. but i was seriously crapping my pants over whether they would ask something specific.. like if they did ang su chi etc etc.. as you can see my knowledge is limited

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)