who did you think the bnw quote was by? (1 Viewer)

HSC
it was John the Savage... did you know during the exam? or just not mention it?

I was lucky enough to have guessed correctly.. considering I never read the book...

anyone think it was by someone else?

cccclaire

HSC
Yeh, if you didn't know it was John the Savage you shouldn't be doing advanced.

B

bekmay

nope it was said by the savage...
and even if you didn't know you just have to think about it logically, who else would have wanted all those things except MAYBE Marx..

cccclaire

HSC
Two questions though,

did we have to actually begin our essays with the quote?

How much would we have had to refer to the quote throughout our essays?

HSC
"Using the extract below as a starting point, analyse"

I took it to mean use the quote as a starting point for comparing the two texts

i think the determining factor is going to be the comparitive study which "invites consideration of humanity's connection with the world"

if you answered the question you will have implicitly referred to the quote

the quote wasn't the essence of the essay, it was a comparitive study

HSC
nirvanafreak02 said:

i think the determining factor is going to be the comparitive study which "invites consideration of humanity's connection with the world"

yep meaning ur meant to meant to keep refering back to humanity's connection or rather lack of, connection to the natural world... not necessary the quote...

cccclaire

HSC
gjr said:
Are u retarded!!!

It had to be the cental idea in ur essay, if u didnt refer to it immeadiately at the beginning, thst 2 marks gone, and u need it every 4-5 lines. if u only mentioned it once well im osrry lady ur gonna be cooking for a long time
You're an idiot.

The central idea of the essay should have been man's relationship with nature (or whatever the second part of the question was) as well as the writers context.

Refering to the quote every 4-5 lines would have been unnecessary and repetitive. There really wasn't that much to the quote anyway.

Lordie

HSC
I had one of those mental blanks that are feared in English exams. I used the quote mid-way through my BNW analysis, and stated, "Through Bernard's words, we are..." Eek. The fact that I only said "Bernard" once, could imply that it was "accidental" in stating Bernard, heh. I don't think it'll retract from my thesis/overall structure dramatically however!

Jess491

HSC
essays have nothiong to do with questions, the links to the questions just need to be expressed as links, how do u reckon everyone who does prepared essays get away with it? a good essay is a good essay, regardless as to whether it explicitly refers to the quote. you can still get a band six mark without technically "answering the question".

Hatta

HSC
This is ridiculous.
Don't know the text enough to recognize who said something mildly important and where it's from? GTFO of advanced.

HSC
Hatta said:
This is ridiculous.
Don't know the text enough to recognize who said something mildly important and where it's from? GTFO of advanced.

happens when you don't read the text (which many people in my school seem not to do)

don't worry we're consistenly top of the state in english

nb. can't leave advanced, we're not offered standard

Hatta

HSC
bekmay said:
nope it was said by the savage...
and even if you didn't know you just have to think about it logically, who else would have wanted all those things except MAYBE Marx..
Bernard probably couldn't say that anyway, at least not in the later parts of the novel. Bernard's a fake, he's not actually special, he just wants to get laid like all the other soma-riddled characters. Besides, when John says this, Bernard's off being ill and comforted by Helmholtz.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Hatta said:
Bernard probably couldn't say that anyway, at least not in the later parts of the novel. Bernard's a fake, he's not actually special, he just wants to get laid like all the other soma-riddled characters. Besides, when John says this, Bernard's off being ill and comforted by Helmholtz.
That made no sense to me the first time I read it because I was thinking of bernard from black books because of your avatar :p.

Ive pretty much already rid my brain of anything english related

Oh. and to answer the thread topic, yeah I knew it was john

Dundasbro

HSC
I didn't even bother referring to who said it, I probably would have said Bernard anyway. I just used it to illustrate man's implicit connection and yearning for nature and the imperfect and so on and support my thesis in that way.

Maystar

HSC
Ms. BRIGHTSIDE said:
Wait, what? I thought it was Leon from BR ? :confused:
That IS a joke, right?

nirvanafreak02 said:

Yeah, I think that's right.

I started with the quote and said something like "So said John the Savage in his final confrontation with Mond in Huxley's dystopian novel blah blah" then made brief mention of the sacrifice, or the "price" paid for happiness.

Then I would say the crux of the argument had to be on the connection part.

Additionally, I think it would be pretty stupid and difficult of the Board of Studies if they wanted the essay to focus on that quote...given the amount of stuff in BNW/BR relating to the connection, the quote given is not a lot to compare...

You just had to use that quote at the beginning, and then write a fairly generic essay about humanity's connection with nature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)