Lear - Personal Response (1 Viewer)

Montana1717

HSC
Ya, i'm starting to worry a bit that I overdid the personal response. My essay was 8 pages and about 99% personal response with only brief throwaways to the production. I've usually lost marks for not going with the PR but I think that this time was maybe too much? I dunno? What did you guys do?

HSC
you should be fine, the whole point in mod b is to develop/express a personal response

Rhanoct

zzzzz
HSC
Nah, markers will orgasm. I only used the productions (two of them) once, just as further evidence of different interpretations when I was talking about textual integrity. People are always very weak on their PR, or don't include it at all, so markers will be pleased that you've shown a strong PR. :)

Way I structured my paragraphs was generally like this:

-Idea
-Jacobean
-Nihilist
-Humanist
-Own personal response (though I weaved a few lines of PR into the other readings if I generally agreed, or disagreed)

Of course, dramatic techniques were thrown in as often as possible.

silverfiction

HSC
yeah the question was IN YOUR OWN VIEW so you should be fine.

i hope you answered the rest of the question though with the dramatic techniques and the memorable ideas :uhhuh:

otherwise its only half done.

Montana1717

HSC
Awesome, this relieves my worries a lot. Um, dramatic techniques were great cause i do drama and I did themes as memorable ideas. Was that the idea?

Geohood

HSC
Can someone post like a sentence which would be an example of 'your view'?

Montana1717

HSC
Mine was pretty annoying to explain but basically was that TTOKL is about war and the failure of diplomacy and all the characters are symbolic. Has a lot of Marxist and Nihilist ideas tied into it.

Mond

HSC
Geohood said:
Can someone post like a sentence which would be an example of 'your view'?
In today's context of relative values and ever-changing standards, a personal view believes that King Lear's message is that order must be maintained over chaos on both a personal (inner) and broader level, or else conflict and tragedy is inevitable. (Something like this, but not made to sound so 'obvious')

Mond

HSC
Geohood said:
So it's alright if we don't say 'my'?
From my understanding, of course it's alright if you don't use first person, just as long as you make it clear you have formed some sort of personal view on the text, even if you did this through an authoritative tone in third person or something.

Kiim2507

HSC
Yeah my teachers are so shit the whole time during module B they were like "omg critics and productions" (Our Lear assessment involved us analysing a critic and writing about it + one other critic + two productions)

lochi90

HSC
Geohood said:
So it's alright if we don't say 'my'?
should never bluntly use first person references in an essay like 'I' 'my' 'mine' etc

jennieTalia

HSC
I began with my own view, that it was memorable due to the questions it poses that still pervade our lives today, and backed it up with a critics quote (from 'King Lear Terribly Simple') and then argued the memorable nature of other aspects... and then discussed how it was theatrically memorable (Who can possibly forget Gloucester stacking it off an invisible cliff :p)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)