28 000 do advanced

only 1300 did Wordsworth/Malouf

16 000 did Bladerunner n brave new world

large difference!

Aaron.Judd

HSC
How many do The Tempest?

How many do The Fiftieth Gate?

How many do The Pardoners Tale/A Simpel Plan?

How many do Wuthering heights?

ziggy.zoozah

HSC
Aaron.Judd said:
How many do The Tempest?

How many do The Fiftieth Gate?

How many do The Pardoners Tale/A Simpel Plan?

How many do Wuthering heights?
How many hits does it take to make you stop asking questions?

HSC
same thing for the modern topic we do ranges from 3-9% of the state...
as well as 'the justice game" and spec fiction (ext)

Clever Chick

2008- Year 12
HSC
Each marking centre
only marks one module

so everyones Advanced Module A is marked in Newcastle

so i dont know what the % are for other ones

hollyy.

stop looking at me swan.
HSC
lol for cloudstreet. rang up advice line for it and no one knew the text. had to have a call back.

tau281290

HSC
They must get really bored from marking so many BNW/BR... :p

Only 28000 do adv out of lik 65000+ HSC students? Thats very little.

Currypower

HSC
A few more do Standard and there's a couple of thousand who do ESL

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Any teacher can become a HSC marker, so I don't think there's that much honour in becoming one.

Don't get me wrong, I know some fine teachers who are HSC markers, but I do know a few English ones who boast and carry on about their appointment of being a HSC marker, but they can't teach!

Also, I know some teachers who are really good and have never done HSC marking.

So really, anyone can become one. Just because someone is a HSC marker, it doesn't mean they can actually teach well.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
except for senior markers, many markers are selected by selecting their names out of a hat:)

H

hilaryv

oh I totally agree, my english teacher happened to mention just how experienced she was as a marker at least once a lesson.....& she pretty much drove our class to the edge (maybe trying to compensate for something...?). I think that English marking is pretty obscure anyway - we had a huge range of different comments from various external markers....it really seems like it's the luck of the draw

Clever Chick

2008- Year 12
HSC
jm01 said:
Any teacher can become a HSC marker, so I don't think there's that much honour in becoming one.

Don't get me wrong, I know some fine teachers who are HSC markers, but I do know a few English ones who boast and carry on about their appointment of being a HSC marker, but they can't teach!

Also, I know some teachers who are really good and have never done HSC marking.

So really, anyone can become one. Just because someone is a HSC marker, it doesn't mean they can actually teach well.
Yea i no that some teachers may not be able to teache but are markers

BUT

They have to do heaps to be selected its not just out of a hat-
u have to have so many years experience, know all the texts in the module and prove that you do and know them well, plus submit essays you have marked to see whether u are suitable for marking

n they get given such an extensive and specfic marking criteria to make sure its consistent

n on their first few days they read 100 scripts that have already been marked and they anaylze why each got the mark and what the differences are between marks

that doenst sound easy to me

i dont know if it makes better teacher but its a great help in understanding exactly what they're looking for!

Just.waiting

HSC
Clever Chick said:

BUT

u have to have so many years experience, know all the texts in the module and prove that you do and know them well, plus submit essays you have marked to see whether u are suitable for marking

n they get given such an extensive and specfic marking criteria to make sure its consistent

n on their first few days they read 100 scripts that have already been marked and they anaylze why each got the mark and what the differences are between marks

i dont know if it makes better teacher but its a great help in understanding exactly what they're looking for!
Because your oh so experienced teacher did wonders with your English.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Clever Chick said:

BUT

You do NOT have to submit essays you have marked.

You fill in a form - which asks you to say what your experience is (it is the same form for all teachers for both SC and HSC markers), what subject/s you wish to mark (some English teachers for instance put down one of the Histories as a second choice) and that you are available for all sessions. Your principal also signs to say that you have the experience stated. I only ever indicate the Histories but apply for all four - Modern, Ancient, Extension and then SC but I do know another teacher who goes Modern, Extension 1 English, Extension History, SC English for instance. We both always get Modern because of our marking experience and the numbers that do apply.

At a later date some subjects ask you to state your preference for actual marking e.g. a list of the modules and you rank them according to your actual preference.

There is nothing more than that.

One of my colleagues has been marking now for three years and been teaching for five (so not all that experienced as far as teaching goes). He is marking Extension 1 English. How did he get in with only two years teaching experience (and only one on Year 12)? Simple - he applied and the relevant SOM felt like employing a new young marker.

Once we get to marking we will spend about 7 - 8 hours of time reading some scripts already chosen by the Senior Markers to show us a range of responses. We will discuss the question/s we are marking and then read these sample scripts and discuss why it should be getting the marks the SMs have given it. Sometimes we vehemently disagree with their recommendation so they have another look at it. After about 7 - 8 hours of briefing we start marking actual scripts. We would normally read about 20 scripts during this 7 - 8 hour period. During each marking session i.e. before and after the dinner break a 'control script' is sent around to check that we are all marking at the same level. If we give it a mark at variance with the other markers our SM will go through it with us.

Some subjects may have slight variations to the above scenario but the idea of the SOM (who is also a full-time teacher) having to read essays sent in by a couple of hundred applicants for marking before making their recommendation to the BOS isn't on (certainly the last couple of years one of the SOMs of English hasn't been doing that as he has just had the applications on his desk at school. He was working at my school but moved earlier this year. He would read the applicants and rank them based on experience of marking, experience of teaching and then modules to get a range - no reading of marked essays or proof that they know the texts or anything.)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)