Will I be marked down? (1 Viewer)

mrpet3rr

HSC
Will I be marked down if everyone in my class has the same thesis and similar essay(near word for word)?

Last edited:

ziggy.zoozah

HSC
You won't get marked down, stop fretting!!!

Why would you want the marks now???

Numquamtededam

HSC
mrpet3rr said:
Will I be marked down if everyone in my class has the same thesis and similar essay(near word for word)?
The marking centre does not 'shuffle the exam papers'. Hence the papers from the one centre stay together. Hence one school's papers will go to a very small number of markers (of course it depends on the size of your school). And if the marker reads a few virtually identical essays, he won't really be pleased - due to 'all your own work', and due to the fact he'll become bloody bored of it.

So in short, you're stuffed!

Jon73

human dick-tionary
HSC
You should get marked down for being a n00b.

HSC
why is everyone saying no? do you seriously think that if an entire school turned in essays, as the OP says, 'near word for word', that there would be absolutely no consequences? if i read really similar essays i'd think either, 1. teacher wrote it for them, 2. they all plagiarised another students' essay. neither of which complies with All My Own Work.

i'm pretty sure that there's something in the marking scheme about presenting a typical response. if you raised similar points/ideas/elements, but discussed them from different angles and presented an unique discussion then you should be fine, if they're really 'near word for word', then you'd be in trouble.

eldore44

Facebook is better.
HSC
If the students collaborated to make this one essay, then it's fine. Sure, the same few markers will mark all of them, but it will make it easier for them considering they only have to mark one and then give the same mark.

Even if you didnt collaborate for the essay, then it is easily argued that you did and hard to prove you didnt. Just don't say the teacher wrote it- but even if you did it's the teacher that gets in trouble, not you.

Your marks will be in line with the quality of the essay.

HSC
eldore44 said:
If the students collaborated to make this one essay, then it's fine. Sure, the same few markers will mark all of them, but it will make it easier for them considering they only have to mark one and then give the same mark.

Even if you didnt collaborate for the essay, then it is easily argued that you did and hard to prove you didnt. Just don't say the teacher wrote it- but even if you did it's the teacher that gets in trouble, not you.

um, so you're saying that an entire grade/class of people can submit the same essay and there will be no consequences?

okay then ;)

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
eldore44 said:

Hahahaha you have to be joking.
"It will make it easier for them considering they only have to mark one and give it the same mark"?!
That gives markers no credibility and integrity.
Sure every essay is marked individually but if a marker comes across a few that are nearly 'word for word' identical then they will be remarked. I'm certain they wouldn't let plagiarism slip by with no mark deduction.
The HSC isn't about 'collaboration'. Advanced English is supposed to be about forming independent thought and critical analysis. Sure, everyone can study the same texts but essays should NOT be virtually 'word for word' identical. As someone previously said, the essays from one centre go to a very small group of markers, so it is highly likely they will read identical essays - which will be perceived as plagiarism. Marks will reflect this. They don't take 'collaboration' into account.

mrpet3rr

HSC
im so confused with all the responses half ppl say no half ppl say yes.
lol
well its more like just only me and my mate who has same essay, but his adaption the the question is much different so does that make it any better? but throughout the essay its kind of the same

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
As a marker I will say this:

When marking a centre we expect similar arguments to come up due to the teacher teaching everyone the same stuff and the same resources being used, but when (or if) we get two essays that are really similar we might start to ask questions. If they were word for word the entire way we would report it higher and leave it there.

I did hear that last year some English essays were given zero for plagiarism but I believe they were in creative writing and the students actually took ideas, characters or something from existing books without making any acknowledgement. i.e. if you want to set your creative writing in Hogwarts you would need to say something like - J. K. Rowling created the setting and these characters but these characters and events are my own - telling the markers straight off what is your and what you are taking from her work.

mrpet3rr

HSC
cem said:
When marking a centre we expect similar arguments to come up due to the teacher teaching everyone the same stuff and the same resources being used,
so same thesis should be ok yeah?!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)