Structure of essay for genre? (1 Viewer)

morgoe

HSC
How are you structuring your essay?
You have to talk about genre theory, conventions, techniques, context. and thats about it, I think?
What I've got is..

-Intro
-[genre theory, basic discussion on genre etc. havent done this yet, but should I? Or integrate it throughout?]
-Detective (im doing CF), context (feminism -> anil's ghost)
-Sub-genres.. film noir, neo-noir and noir-fiction
-CF as a vehicle for other focuses and why this makes it popular
-Conclusion

That about right? Im pretty fucked this is the first time I've looked at my essay since trials XD

HSC
Integrate genre theory throughout, and use your texts to support your arguments explicitly.

I'm going to get off the computer and write my essay now... I likewise haven't done any EX1 work until today. :p

metalheaven

HSC
Well the way I'm structuring my essay is to break the genre up into some primary conventions (eg language, characters, setting etc) and discussing the genre in terms of such conventions. Then I've got my critical and genre theory as well as my texts integrated throughout.

Mond

HSC
As I normally don't use any prepared essays for this subject, I find it easiest when I'm in an exam to structure my essay in terms of text. Some see this as too simple and prefer to structure it in terms of convention/technique, but the way I do it usually gets me 23+. In regards to talking about genre theory, I have never made this explicit. For example, I don't have a section on genre theory in my introduction, rather, I integrate it throughout. I would have given you something more indepth on how to structure this, but I don't do crime fiction.

Good luck for tomorrow.

metalheaven

HSC
Just a little extra bit of trivia to substantiate Mond's style of structure is that one of the "High Range" answers for a crime fiction question in one of those past paper books structured it in that same way. An interesting way that they did it was to put each text in chronological order which can strengthen any thesis you may present about contexts, or the longgevity of crime fiction.

Clare4385

HSC
i'm struggling with crime fiction. i have written many essays but they all seem far too long. i've sturctured in with each text aswell, i find is easier to talk about them as a whole and move onto the next one as they all have different issues and conventions. good luck !

Jezzakar

HSC
dependant on the question of course, as to how much it wants you to rable about genre in general and not the specific genre your doing, i give a definition of genre, discuss it a bit, give it a thesis, then go into my genre (spec fic), throughout, once more dependant on the question, you link back to your thesis about genre. i generally do my essays convention to convention and keep that as my focus.

SomethingKiller

HSC
Hey,
I can't really compare your essay to mine, one because I'm doing Spec Fic and two because my essay is way different, and mainly formed through points on the spot.
As far as your layout though, it looks good. Just make sure that you keep it relevant to the question and each paragraph supports your thesis and you should be fine.
Get some flexible examples if you ask me and that way you can re-structure your essay however you want on the spot or as you go (preferably not the latter).
Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)