scaling (1 Viewer)

jess.!

HSC
what do they do if everyone has done badly?
i mean i know they push the marks up, but can someone explain how that works coz surely there will still be kids who scored highly, so do their marks get pushed up even higher?

possibly the worst test ever.:uhoh:

sakaki.kun

HSC
Well, if a majority of the people performed poorly, the cut off marks would be lowered. The students who performed really well would get scaled up, but it wouldn't be as much as the lower students. For example, if a student gets 79/84 raw, they would probably get 49/50 while a student who gets 69/84 would probably get 46/50, and 57/84 would be around 43/50.

jess.!

HSC
so for this particular exam, do you think it's likely there will be some massive scaling going on?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
It's not called "scaling". To be technical here, it's called "moderating". If the average mark was low, the moderating will alter according to that.

pissedoff

HSC
N/A
sakaki.kun said:
Well, if a majority of the people performed poorly, the cut off marks would be lowered. The students who performed really well would get scaled up, but it wouldn't be as much as the lower students. For example, if a student gets 79/84 raw, they would probably get 49/50 while a student who gets 69/84 would probably get 46/50, and 57/84 would be around 43/50.
you're gravely mistaken.

69 would translate to 47/48 and 57 would get 46/47

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
The word to use here would be alignment, not scaling, if we are talking about the aligned HSC exam marks. But I suppose that the committee that determines the cut-offs for the various bands would probably have them set at a lower mark range than those for previous years to reflect the difficulty of the paper.

jess.!

HSC
kooltrainer said:
i thought 3unit scales down
why?
i thought it only slaughters your marks if you do bad but everyone else does ok/good.

but seeing as everyone seems to have done badly, it shouldnt hurt them too much.

if your ranking is high, but people below you beat you, do they pull you up as well?

kooltrainer

HSC
jess.! said:
why?
i thought it only slaughters your marks if you do bad but everyone else does ok/good.

but seeing as everyone seems to have done badly, it shouldnt hurt them too much.

if your ranking is high, but people below you beat you, do they pull you up as well?
haha... i was kidding .. dw..

narrowpin

HSC
pissedoff said:
you're gravely mistaken.

69 would translate to 47/48 and 57 would get 46/47
no you idiot. 69 would be about 46 for sure, if not lower...

pissedoff

HSC
N/A
narrowpin said:
no you idiot. 69 would be about 46 for sure, if not lower...
who the fuck are you to call me an idiot

u know jack all so stfu

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
While it does depend on the year and the difficulty of the paper being assessed, the general trend (that I have observed from the relatively small amount of raw mark data received from FOI requests and conversations with people about speculation of their raw marks and comparing it with their received HSC exam mark, so only of own opinion really) is that mid 60s/84 raw will get you the bare minimum E4 mark. I'm pretty sure that the BOS is not that generous with aligned marks as to give mid 50s/80 raw marks an E4 aligned HSC exam mark.

jess.!

HSC
if you get around 50-60% as a raw mark, what do you think that would be aligned (or whatever word is supposed to be used) to?

timmiitippii

HSC
kooltrainer said:
i thought 3unit scales down
technically every single subject scales down, except ext 2 maths and mayb sum of the exotic ext language courses, as far as i know.

Just hard subjects like ext1 and such scales down "less" than say... business studies *no offence to anyone who does business studies*

but for aligning, subjects like ext 1 and 2 u always end up with a much higher mark than ur raw mark following roughly a bell curve? if any1 can confirm that.

kooltrainer

HSC
timmiitippii said:
technically every single subject scales down, except ext 2 maths and mayb sum of the exotic ext language courses, as far as i know.

Just hard subjects like ext1 and such scales down "less" than say... business studies *no offence to anyone who does business studies*

but for aligning, subjects like ext 1 and 2 u always end up with a much higher mark than ur raw mark following roughly a bell curve? if any1 can confirm that.
i think u made that up

kooltrainer

HSC
whats the point in saying all subjects to scale down. U might as well say everything scales up (including business studies , cooking, sewing , dancing ) with the exception that some scales higher ...

hodarrenkm

HSC
i think he meant the bos mark gets scaled down when calculating uai

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)