Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ancient History exam too long?

HSC

Re: Ancient History exam too long?

I think compared to the other major humanities, legal, modern, etc you have considerably more time. I say for the three hours ditch the second structured section, the civilisation one, and make it an essay. That will use up the time. BTW I finished with 20 minutes to go, went through all my things, with ten minutes to go just wrote all my numbers and stuff on the exam.

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by Kew
    I finished my last word within the last two or three minutes. I did pretty well I'd say.

I spent ~35 minutes on Societies, ~35 on the Core, which gave me about an extra 10-20ish minutes to divide on my Personality & Period - the two which I wrote mostly more than enough on.

I was pretty satisfied. My hand however was shaking once the exam was over. Most probably from overworking & shock.
    Yea, my timing was pretty much exactly the same. Wrote with 3 minutes to spare, then added my numbers.

HSC

I can't believe that some of you are allowed to leave early, at our school if you finish early you still have to stay. I had about 1 or 2 minutes left when I finished but there were still heaps of people around me writing.

HSC

Talking Re: Ancient History exam too long?

yeah i agree
    i finish on average an hour early in every ancient exam we have had
    2 hours is enough i think..2.5 to keep ppl happy
    TUMUT
    Ancient, Modern, Ext. History, Gen. Maths. Adv. Eng., Studies of Religion, Visual Arts (New Technologies)

cem
    Exalted Member
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy-Jane
    I can't believe that some of you are allowed to leave early, at our school if you finish early you still have to stay. I had about 1 or 2 minutes left when I finished but there were still heaps of people around me writing.

The BOS sets the rules for the exams and they say you can leave early.

Some schools say you can't but I do wonder what they think they can do if you do leave early - the BOS won't penalise you so I just wonder.....
    Last edited by cem; 1 Nov 2008 at 8:18 PM.

HSC

No exam is too long.
    You shut your mouth when you're talking to me!

Pirate Queen of Awsomness
    HSC

i go really slowly at the beginning because there doesnt seem to be a sense of urgency in 3 hour exams coz it seems so long so i didnt finish and had way more to write. i didnt finish pompeii (just the conservation Q, i didnt get to write about the anglo-american project or the houses of pompeii project), Agrippina (it's kinda finished but they rnt essays, just information vomit) or Augustan principate (again, its not properly thought out information vomit)

i think 4/16 people in my class finished early so we could'v just had long topics i guess?

HSC

Quote Originally Posted by cem
    The BOS sets the rules for the exams and they say you can leave early.

Some schools say you can't but I do wonder what they think they can do if you do leave early - the BOS won't penalise you so I just wonder.....

The reason why I can't believe you can leave early is because at our school we get told if you leave then you get no result and can jeopardize your HSC. Maybe if you are at a bigger school then you can leave early, I'm at a smaller school so maybe they just like us to stay...

HSC

i was the first to leave the ancient exam
    you cant write so much about bullshit

xeuyrawp

Quote Originally Posted by christinamak
    i was the first to leave the ancient exam
    you cant write so much about bullshit
    Hahah, fill this out: http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/resources...ation_form.pdf

Elenessa

I seriously would have liked an extra 15 mins to check everything over. I only just finished the Historical period about 10 secs before it ended.

HSC

I thought 3 hours was the perfect amount of time. I wrote about 5 pages for sections 2 to 4, and exceeded the space provided for the Core Topic questions. I wasn't writing flat out, but I finished with only about 5 minutes to spare. I find it disturbing that people would leave an hour early (20 mins maybe, but an hour!). I mean, you could write about 6 more pages of information in that time, and secure a killer mark. Shrug ... maybe I'm just a slow writer.

cem
    Exalted Member
    HSC
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy-Jane
    The reason why I can't believe you can leave early is because at our school we get told if you leave then you get no result and can jeopardize your HSC. Maybe if you are at a bigger school then you can leave early, I'm at a smaller school so maybe they just like us to stay...

My school is a small school and we wouldn't even try to tell our students that they couldn't leave because we know that they would be appealing to the BOS and we would lose.

Leaving early doesn't mean no result. It might jeopardise your HSC in the sense that you might have written more and so you mightn't get the result you would like in that subject but as for no getting an HSC - no - leaving early won't mean you don't get your HSC.

HSC

The exam was just right...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information