2008 Biology HSC Examination (m/c qu's) (1 Viewer)

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
I noticed a couple of people requesting that it posted, so here goes...

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
Answers:

01 - D
02 - A
03 - B
04 - B
05 - C
06 - D
07 - A
08 - C
09 - B
10 - B
11 - B
12 - D
13 - D
14 - A
15 - C

Cob-was-here

HSC
You're comment on 15 "carried by male" is way wrong lol. Male cant be a carrier. Other way around.

o7nesss

Behind that Tree
HSC
ha...crap...about the pedigree...thats a tricky one...
hey..is it just me...or did the multiple choice only take like 5 - 10 mins?
and the immune thing was macfarlane...i think...i hope...
i thort it was a pretty good exam all together...its like..the 1st exam i was happy with...general was bull yesterday and i suck at english....music and art to go :D:D:D

alez

feel like an angel
HSC
i think 6 is c not d....

naomilouise91

HSC
No.
Question 6 was definatly d. it's been discussed in the other threads too.

`kyttie

rawr.
HSC
N/A
alez said:
i think 6 is c not d....
Nope.. C's observation is that the animal's temperature was less than the temperature of the cage, which would mean the animal is heavily influenced by its ambient temperature. Only ectotherms' temperatures fluctuate with ambient temperature.. thus the conclusion that it's an endotherm is wrong.

Meanwhile, D is right because it makes the same observation.. that the ambient temperature had a marked effect on temperature and metabolism, and concludes that it's an ectotherm/cold-blooded animal - right! :D

Hope that helps.

Kew

HSC
God damnit. Why on earth did I put Artificial Insemnation instead of Genetic engineering.

ffs. Well at least it's 14/15 for me. :)

Zippora

HSC
always.dreaming said:
I noticed a couple of people requesting that it posted, so here goes...

the questions which you were unsure of.......

7. is A
cell differentiation (in B) is not a source of variation in offspring

10. is B
Mcfarlane Burnett he was mentioned in the syllabus heading for section 6(?) of SFBH

11. yes B is correct

14. is A
active transport requires energy, passive does not- it occurs through diffusion, osmosis etc

15. is C
Only females can be carriers. A carrier means that they have a heterozygous genotype, so they contain the allele for the disease however they do not suffer from it themselves as they also have the healthy dominant gene to counteract it.
If a male has the gene for the disease then they will suffer it as the Y chromosome means that they do not have the ability to counteract it.

DA15Y

HSC
Kew said:
God damnit. Why on earth did I put Artificial Insemnation instead of Genetic engineering.

ffs. Well at least it's 14/15 for me. :)
heh, high 5, i did the same coz i was decidin between them n then i remembered dat genetic engineering wasnt in the syllabus, lol... i reckon dat shouldnt be there i mean it's probably mentioned in the genetics option but for ppl like me who did communications, this was not there!!!

HSC
DA15Y said:
heh, high 5, i did the same coz i was decidin between them n then i remembered dat genetic engineering wasnt in the syllabus, lol... i reckon dat shouldnt be there i mean it's probably mentioned in the genetics option but for ppl like me who did communications, this was not there!!!
genetic engineering is not specifically in the syllabus, but transgenic species is. that's genetic engineering.

Kew

HSC
russianROULETTE said:
genetic engineering is not specifically in the syllabus, but transgenic species is. that's genetic engineering.
yeah - it's under the end section of Blueprint.

Jaspal

HSC
DA15Y said:

well its common sense as none of the others are correct...

DeedyDeed

HSC
`kyttie said:
Nope.. C's observation is that the animal's temperature was less than the temperature of the cage, which would mean the animal is heavily influenced by its ambient temperature. Only ectotherms' temperatures fluctuate with ambient temperature.. thus the conclusion that it's an endotherm is wrong.

Meanwhile, D is right because it makes the same observation.. that the ambient temperature had a marked effect on temperature and metabolism, and concludes that it's an ectotherm/cold-blooded animal - right! :D

Hope that helps.
I think i chose C as well partially because i had no idea if the metabolism had anything to do with it and also because an endotherms temperature remains pretty much the same and would therefore not be affected by the ambient temp. How is it heavily affected by it if it is lower than it? It remains contast regardless of the ambient temp.
Take humans for eg if it's cold outside a humans temp will remain around 37.
If it's hot outside a humans temp will remain around 37.
I still think it's C. :D

HSC
DeedyDeed said:
I think i chose C as well partially because i had no idea if the metabolism had anything to do with it and also because an endotherms temperature remains pretty much the same and would therefore not be affected by the ambient temp. How is it heavily affected by it if it is lower than it? It remains contast regardless of the ambient temp.
Take humans for eg if it's cold outside a humans temp will remain around 37.
If it's hot outside a humans temp will remain around 37.
I still think it's C. :D
there have been a million arguments on this one. as the temperature of the cage could very well be below its normal level, then it can only be correct if it is above the temperature. which we do not know. D, however, is correct no matter what because with ectotherms, metabolism decreases when it's cold and increases (along with temperature) when ambient temp is hot.

loz.stgghs

HSC
Although the organism in C could be an endotherm, the question is asking not which conclusion is correct, but which is correct based on the observation. Therefore you can rule out C because the observation does not determine conclusively that the organism is an endotherm. It's one of those qn's where u have to pick the most correct answer.

judging by these answers 14/15!! yay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)