Marking of options? (1 Viewer)

gonutsmate

HSC
How are the options marked?

If you consider that the HSC aims to place all students in the course on an equal playing field, how do they mark each option without recognising the potential for relative differences in difficulty for each of them?

Hmm.

tau281290

HSC
They are all similar. Name TWO......Outline ONE...Draw and label a diagram....

dazza 1

HSC
we were told that genetics is regarded as harder, so i think we get scaled up (i hope)

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
They kind of compare with other schools...answers from other schools, because they consider the answers after the exams.

So if you are doing an option module against James Ruse, it might be slightly harder for you to get those marks.

I think that's what my Chemistry teacher told me, she's quiet an experienced exam marker

Cob-was-here

HSC
Pfft all the questions were pretty much the same difficulty for each option and the task that each question provides is like exactly the same layout for each.

cccclaire

HSC
Cob-was-here said:
Pfft all the questions were pretty much the same difficulty for each option and the task that each question provides is like exactly the same layout for each.
However the content for options like Genetics, biotechnology and Biochem are a lot harder than say, communication.

So those options are marked up, my biology teacher says so, and she knows a lot about HSC marking.

nymphae

HSC
Uni Grad
Alls I know is Communication is marked in Newcastle.

I don't even remember WHY I know that.

Kew

HSC
nymphae said:

Why is it marked in Newcastle? rofl.
o_o

tau281290

HSC
Shadose said:
They kind of compare with other schools...answers from other schools, because they consider the answers after the exams.

So if you are doing an option module against James Ruse, it might be slightly harder for you to get those marks.

I think that's what my Chemistry teacher told me, she's quiet an experienced exam marker
I think im doing the same option as james ruse :uhoh:

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Yeah they do scale the marks. This my understanding (its what ive been told by teachers, but who knows, it might not be right):

For example if the average mark in the genetics option was 60% raw, but the average mark for the rest of the paper for all the people who did genetics was 70% raw, they will scale all the marks for the genetics option up so that the aligned average is 70%. This is because genetics is one of the harder options.

Then, for an easier option like human story, if the average mark for that option was 70% raw, but those people had an average mark of 60% raw in the rest of the paper, they scale the option marks scale down.

Idk if thats right, but its what ive been told.

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
nymphae said:

genetics is marked in newcastle

axlenatore

Scuba Steve
HSC
Kew said:
Why is it marked in Newcastle? rofl.
o_o
Papers are marked all over nsw. Some of PE is marked in coffs harbour etc, they spread it out so teachers dont have to travel extremely far and to mix up the markers,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)