Any1 Doing Postmodernism?? (1 Viewer)

sif not 99

Hey all,
Anybody doing postmodernism??? because every1 else seems to be doing crime fiction or that revenge tradgedy???

I know it the least done elective but has the best marks which I guess is pretty kewl, but so anyway who else is doing it???

dissonance

yeah I haven't seen too many doing "retreat from the global" either...but hey I don't mind it that much...

actually postmodernism seems to be the most intersting topic to me although I only really know a small amount about it.

sif not 99

PoMo isnt as bad as it seems, once you have learnt the concept and what it means it is pretty easy, but writting in the postmodern style is pretty weird, difficult as well. Postmodernism is all about not rating or puting anyone or anything above anyone else, i.e. everything is equal and equally valid, yet somehow they mark these papers, some better than others, bit hypocritical by the BoS lol

Powerpuff Girl

PoMo...hehhe

hey just wanted to say....i'm doing postmodernism and i'm really not getting it that well! argh!
hey if u ahve any good notes that explains PoMo well so i could actually get a good idea of what its about it would be appreciated.
hey if u do PoMo does that mean u do the same texts as us?? like French Lieutenants Woman, Orlando and Dead White Males?
anyway any tips about PoMo would be greatly appreciated as i got an assessment due soon...actually two. ones a powerpoint presentation and the other is four pieces of writing....i think these teachers expext us to dedicate our whole year 12 life to english extention, maths, etc.....i dont think they agree with us having a life, heheh
ok, gtg, please reply....bubye
luv LN

Transcendant

Me too...

Hiya all...

Yes, I too am afflicted with the PoMo topic (Moriah)... I understand most of it, though I must say I think its a totally BS topic and dont buy a word of it...

Anyway, Powerpuff girl, its a pretty broad topic so what specifically were you having a problem with? Im no expert on it, but I'd say I firmly understand about 90% of it: though I am dredding the trial exam!!!!!

Powerpuff Girl

hmmmm

well hmmmm where do i start, hehe
nah i dunno i think i get the basic concept of what postmodernism is and how it challenges paradigms etc but what i sometimes get confused with is how the postmodernity of a text os represented.
like how the author of a postmodern novel will actually make it so it can be classed pomo....does that make sense??
anyway, shows u how much i just get confused over the whole thing, although i did a 20 min presentation on pomo thew other day which i think went ok-ish
anyway, gtg, luv LN

Jenjen

Postmodernism!!

Hey everyone!!

I'm doing postmodernism as well (every other class at Barker is doing Crime Fiction or the Essay!!)
I have a total lack of self confidence in my ability to write an essay in the Trials on postmodernism.
However, I received a really really useful piece of advice from my year 7 english teacher

She said that even though you might not have a total understanding of the concept, or maybe you don't think you have the extensive general knowledge or whatever....if you use texts where your interests and strengths lie as your supplementary texts it comes through in your writing.

So, for me, my general knowledge doesn't really extend past what is on TV tonight and what music is on the radion, what movies are on etc....so I use my knowledge of popular culture and how pop culture is totally media saturated and swamped with intertextuality and everything.

And I found this really helps!!

Anyway, CYA
Jen

PS- if it makes anyone feel any better, 4U is due in 3 weeks and I haven't started ;)

gonzalina

wow! i have found pomo people!!! :)

well, i was excited! :)

yes, im doing dead white male, flw, and orlando!

my personal defination of postmodernism is basically anything that cahllenges the traditional conventions of a text. As the ETA puts it, it is a "playful cahllenge". and that sentence didn't make sense, oh well...

I've already done my trial exam, did it on monday. (wow, that was yesterday! geez, so long ago, probably cause i spent last night learning a years worth of chem! hehehe) i dont remember exact wording of the questions, but basically.

1) You have compiled a collection of postmodern texts and notes, to show what postmodernism is all about. Write an introduction to your collection, including ONE of your prescribed texts, and texts of your own choosing, justifying why you have placed them in this collection.

2) Write a dialogue between two characters from TWO of your prescribed texts.

~well, i hope that help you, gives you some idea of what other schools are asking.

JUST REMEMBER, you can relate nearly anything to postmodernism!

Powerpuff Girl

oh yes yes u can relate anything to postmodernism.....cos i'm goin on about the animated film Tarzan and still managing to see that in a po-mo light, event hough thats quite sad....oh dear
anyway, my trial for eng ext is in a week tomorrow but before that i gotta get through maths!! argh!

gonzalina

well, i really only have one at the moment..so screw that trial, eh? just kinda made it up...i did really badly in it anyway, well, besides writing a dialogue between shakespeare and fowles. Am i the only one who actually enjoys doing the whole postmodern writing bit of it? its fun!! hehehe!

writing our own chapter thirteen was goodfun too! I HATE SARAH!!! she is so intangible, which is frustrating, although, that is the point, but arghhh, doesnt keep me from wanting to get rid of the last chapter, at least then i could confine her into a little box! i need my narrative closure!

Coffee_Fan

Wait for the dark
HEY GONZALINA

SARAH'S HEAPS COOL, SHE'S THE KIND OF CHARACTER THAT SHOULD BE IN EVERY NOVEL, I LOVE POSTMODERNISM AND I LOVE FLW, BUT I MUST SAY NOTHING BEATS DW'S DEAD WHITE MALES

gonzalina

yeah well, i really need to reread flw. i read it one afternoon/night afterschool, because i was supposed to have read it, so i kind of missed alot! i love it for studying, but its not the kind of thing i would choose to read.

just dont say u luv david williamson too close to my school! u may find 47 girls wanting to shoot u! hehehe...thats impression i get from everyone, well, alot! its alot harder to talk about than flw... and we really havent done all that much on orlando yet!

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
hey loz ;)

I figured out where Williamson's play fits in this module.. which was pretty useful considering I had the exam the next day.

I'm of the firm belief that postmodernism has run it's course and the only people still mucking around with it are those who can't get over their own inflated ideas of self-worth and the board of studies, which sometimes amounts to the same thing.

*rrawl*

and queerer than Orlando? Amelie reminded me of it in a way, although it's not 'queer' - something about techniques and the main character being an enigmatic fellow.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)