Australia day..what it really means to be "Aussie" (1 Viewer)

maiafrancesca

HSC
Australia is a vast unforgiving land, with its deserts and tropical coasts, there are many cultures that have become one to create aussie australia. The general stereotype is the bogan. Think of every american portrayal of aussies. the G'day mate- catch phrase that has made us famous.

What is it to be australian, does it mean that you must have a beer gut, a VB in one hand, the other hand turning sausages on a barbe?

this is my first post as a new member.
i want to know how young australia defines us as aussie australians.

I am a mix of italian, french south african. I was born in australia, and have lived here my whole life. Enen so i have been generalised as many different cultures, i've gotten everything from aboriginal to tahiti, south american, maori to hawaiian.

why cant white australia acknowledge that those with darker features are just as much aussie as anyone else.
I do suffer with self-identity. Recently my art teacher told our class to do an artwork of my sense of place. Impulsively i began do paint an african womens head. MY teacher became confused and ridiculed my art saying that it wasnt my sense of place at all. it was my fathers...that made me question myself..how could it not be my sense of self when it was in my blood and my spiritual connection with my background.

Why is it that even as a primary schooler i was asked where my parents come from..i have strong ties to my heritage. But even stronger is my pride and appreciation that my ancestors sacrificed all that they knew to provide a better life for their childens future...IN AUSTRALIA

Last edited:

redox

HSC
Hey,

Assuming this isn't some wierd english experiment (why is it in this section of the forums?) I'll try to answer you.

In my opinion, whether one conforms to the "Aussie" stereotype or not, has no bearing on their being an Australian. The stereotype will always be there, and so perhaps it should. When you see Australia being represented by the typical "G'day mate" and other familiar things in our culture, be proud and feel that you too are being represented, as no less an Australian than those who display the trivial appearences of the stereotype. People who see nothing but the appearences (white skin, etc) and equate that with being an Australian, well you would do well to forget about those people.

The fact that you have a culturally diverse background, and identify with it, makes you no more or less an Aussie. If anything, it enriches you as a person and a young Australian.

Do you think maybe people enquire about your background out of curiosity more than anything else? I know if I see someone who seems to have a foriegn background I'm always interested in getting to know them and their story, especially if they are proud of it, as you seem to be.

In regards to your art teacher, you have a bad art teacher in more ways than one, leave it at that.

So what does it mean to be Australian? Well, thats a difficult question. I'd say at least, the qualifications don't exclude anyone from any culture, race, or heritage by virtue of those factors alone, nor anyone who wishes to keep their cultural background close to them. And I think the majority of Australia would agree.

When anyone asks that question it seems to me what they really mean is "what does it mean to be a good or real Australian", implying that there is more to it than just holding citizenship.
Going from this, I guess at its most basic level you'd be a good citizen, respect and and uphold the values which the country holds dear and be proud to call yourself an Australian.

Hope that helped. Oh and remember, a great deal of Australia's progress was borne on the backs of hardworking immigrants. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. :rolleyes:

Regards,
A Greek Australian (or Australian Greek)

avoda28

HSC
Coming from someone who is a "white Australian", I would like to give an opinion.
Australia Day is about celebrating the amazing country that it is. If you love Australia and are proud to call it your home, then you are a true Australian. Cultural background means nothing when it comes down to that. No one is a true blue aussie, apart from the Aboriginals, so frankly, no white Australian can say you are any less Australian than them, as they also are not 100% aussie. So who cares, its a beautiful country, enjoy it and forget about what those dumb asses are saying, because they don't know what they are talking about.
Be proud of your culture, where you are from, where your parents are from and celebrate Australia Day with a barbie :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)