Crime Fiction (1 Viewer)

dms90

HSC
Hey, I'm wondering if anyone would have any information about Anil's Ghost or The Big Sleep that they would be willing to pass on...

Thanks
#

evry1getscrewed

HSC
i read anil's ghost in the holidays and i just did not understand it
i figured if i kept reading, eventually at the end it would make sense, but the book ended without any ends being tied up or anything coming to a conclusion.
how did you go?
other than anil's ghost, im really enjoying crime fiction
the big sleep was so funny to watch (lol not that i was supposed to be entertained); i found the old-fashined stuff amusing

Evan11

HSC
did you check the resources page? i can tell you random facts and help you consolidate and analyse info, but asking for info on the general area of crime fiction is actually a harder question than they would ask in the hsc, as it is way more broad!

top of my head:
anils is post modern, a hybrid of political allegory and detective fiction (showing the eclectic nature of genre)
conventional metaphysical elements of crime fiction are missing (eg an acceptable resolution, ideas of justice) however the metaphor at the end of the novel ("a sweet touch from this world?") shows some degree of hope, giving an ambiguous nature to genre.

didnt do anils for hsc coz i thought it was shit, but yeah.

big sleep:
hard boiled decective novel / romance (links to other point re: genre)
marlowe as the maverick (link to anils character of woman, scientist as opposed to instictual, man - this shows how major elements of genre eg characterisation changes with context)

traditional elements are present eg justice and restoration/resolution however the macabre denouement offers a degree of ambiguity.

im kinda just rambling here but yeah anytthing specific just pm me or some1 else :p

~Fire Jade~

HSC
:wave: Hello...I'm a new member here and I'm doing English Extension 1. One idea, I got from the Big Sleep is that it is different from other film noir...cos Marlow has a happy ennding when the other films in this period was all gloom and doom. Just an idea. Not sure whether it helped cos I'm in dire need of Big Sleep Notes as well...:hammer:

~Fire Jade~

HSC
ChampPunk said:
Lol our teacher has been printing sheets like a mad woman and got some good notes on Big Sleep.
Thanks...made me feel great :mad: when I was doing my 1/2 yrlies...lol...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)