Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Creative Responses

HSC
    Lyres Lair, just past the pink baloon tied to the fence of HELL

Re: Creative Responses

I'm doing Spec Fiction. Stereotypes can aid in the straight forward, okay, I know the genre has shiney weirdness, the basic things, but I think if you use them, you probably want to add a twist to them, so it's not outright pulp fiction, which would also show your smartness about subverting the genre. Probably a good idea to Establish that it is spec fic, crime, etc etc etc, and an evocative way to do this would be to describe the world you create using a lot of sense imagery, but hold back on the adjectives, go for the verbs. Also if you create your world, it means you can adapt it to the question so it doesn't read like a preprepared response.
    If anyone wants imaginative writing excercises, especially to improve description or poetry, shout out.

HSC

Angry Re: Creative Responses

I have to write the beginning of a Crime Fiction practise response for ext 1 and I have a night to do it in. It tells me that we need to have a narrative plan visible? What’s all this about including techniques as well. I understand that you need to write a story including the conventions of the genre, but is it meant to be some silly text which instead turns from a crime fiction to a humour piece due to the obvious pointing out and inclusion of unnecessary techniques?

HSC
    N/A

Every piece uses techniques - whether its in how you make your characters talk, how you put the scenes together etc. its all technique. So no one is asking you to force the inclusion of techniques so much as to change it from a crime fiction, more likely it is that you demonstrate that you can use techniques that enhance your crime fic, and that you can use those techniques well.

HSC

Unhappy Re: Creative Responses

my goodness, reading bits and pieces of what you guys are all posting is making me nervous.
    The analytical aspect of english im all good with but in creative writing i suck!
    so in a nutshell,
    any tips on how to write a good postmodern story for someone who is almost stuffed?!
    thanks
    =)

Cadet
    HSC

does anyone have advice for creative writing relating to acts of reading and writing?
    ive really got no idea how to go about this..

HSC

Great advice. I'm doing Crime Fiction and I'm having a great lot of trouble with my creative writing piece so I can pre-prepare it for the exams. I seem to use the conventions, stereotypes etc but am not able to set a good plan and usually cannot think of a way to "solve" the crime. Can I leave it hanging or an assumed "solution"? Can I pick a story up halfway?
    Pain my last a minute, an hour, a day or even a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever...

HSC

i swear i would rather write 5 essays than one creative story...eekk
    chocoholics anonymous

HSC 2008 - English Advanced, English Extension, Extension Mathematics 1, IPT, Physics, 2 Unit Studies of Religion

UAI: 95+

HSC

cool

HSC

kk u gaize i has n idee 4 ctv ritng. u has a gurl rite n she dusnt lyk boiz. WTF. n she findz anutha gurll hu dusnt lyk boiz. i did this 4 my test n i got gud markz but dat waz a long tim ago n im shure timez hav changeed? neway its jus n idea, take it or leev it

HSC

^ Genius.

HSC
    N/A

I remember reading a sample postmodern piece a while back and I thought the ending was interesting if a little lazy. The writer had basically written a story about surreal perceptions (i.e. magically appearing chairs and pens that vanished) and then ended with something along the lines of telling the HSC marker to finish writing the story with the remaining pages of the answer booklet.

Have no idea how he/she went though.
    University: Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery
    NSW HSC Results:

English Advanced - 98 (State Ranking - Top 20)

English Extension 1 - 47
    Ancient History - 95
    Biology - 93
    Tutoring Queries (Northern Beaches/North Shore Preferable) -:
    lp1723@gmail.com
    http://community.boredofstudies.org/...84#post5246684
    Varied HSC Notes/Resources/Past Papers -: http://community.boredofstudies.org/...d.php?t=253937

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information