Fear of writing a short story (1 Viewer)

Triage

HSC
N/A
I have to write a short story, but I am paralysed by fear that I don't know what I'm doing. I usually do extremely well in the creative writing section of things and short story assessments but I am really scared because this short story is really important. My writing style is very stream of consciousness, bret easton ellis style. It's kind of out of the box tbh. Can anyone tell me how I can write a 'normal' story? I just want to write something straight and get 16/20 than something bizarre that could get 20 or 8.

Cheers

Elisa Sweet

HSC
I think it's too late to change your story, though. I'm sure it'd be fine, and who wants "normal"? If yours if different, then it stands out. Just breathe and relax when you get in. Good luck :)

beckyzGKR

HSC
Hey,
Let's work together!
I will be putting out regular tips for creative writing.
This is about what to do when you are stuck. Many more on plot and characters to be released weekly.
Visit excelinenglish.com.au to see how I can help.
This link will take you to the first Youtube clip on Creative Writing tips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcNKM...ature=youtu.be
xxx
All the best

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Stream of consciousness can work quite well. There isn't really a 'normal' creative story-the best creative stories ANSWERS the question and uses the STIMULUS in a literal and metaphorical way-in many significant facets in their story plot and thematic concerns, the more closely you engage with the question using your prepared creative, the more marks you will get. Best wishes:)

Ironist

HSC
Which Module are you doing? Stream-of-consciousness might not be able to adjust to the conventions of certain Module's well enough as it WAS popularised during the Modernist era (Eliot and Joyce amongst others).
If you're doing Romanticism it's obviously going to be difficult to write in such a manner whilst acknowledging the tropes of the era. Similarly, the exploration of the relationship between science and man necessary in Science Fiction is going to be hindered if you use this style of prose.
At the same time however, I'm sure that stream of consciousness will work great for After the Bomb, Textual Dynamics and Life Writing.

If you want to learn how to write a 'normal' creative, then there's really no way other than reading other people's creatives (subtle plug for my own creatives). As strawberrye stated, belonging creatives are wildly divergent in their styles so there is no universally accepted 'normal' style, just whatever works in the HSC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)