Prelim HSC Eng Ext 1, how to write a 20/20 essay (1 Viewer)

Mrmellow

HSC
Cutting to the chase, how would you get a 20/20 (or 15/15) in an essay for eng ext 1? I worked really hard for the mid year assessment but got a 17/20 for the essay section :confused2:. The creative writing section, was, um, yeah... How would you push towards the higher band 6 region in terms of essays? Vocab, flair, sophistication? The texts I am doing are Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now (yes, i said that). Sorry if the question is too broad. Thanks

meggles_

HSC
Read more theory so you can integrate it into your essay and be more sophisticated
Have a critical and unique voice that shines in your essay

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Always aim to integrate context within your essay whenever applicable because it shows interaction with ideas beyond the simplicity of your text.
Go for "bigger" techniques, e.g. motif, allegory, etc because they add depth to your analysis
Vocab is always a last priority - who cares if you know big words if you have unsophisticated ideas?

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Always aim to integrate context within your essay whenever applicable because it shows interaction with ideas beyond the simplicity of your text.
Go for "bigger" techniques, e.g. motif, allegory, etc because they add depth to your analysis
Vocab is always a last priority - who cares if you know big words if you have unsophisticated ideas?
Didn't do HSC EE1 here but I did alright in Prelim EE1 and yeah, defs this.

Incorporating context is a big thing in EE1 and will allow you to hit higher marks.

Otherwise, improving essay-writing skills in general will allow you to achieve better marks in EE1 like you'd expect.

Mrmellow

HSC
My teacher did mention talking about the 60s-70s drug culture, social liberation for Apoc Now. How would you work it into your essay?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
My teacher did mention talking about the 60s-70s drug culture, social liberation for Apoc Now. How would you work it into your essay?
With any context, its all about the key ideas that arise from that period of thinking, and how those ideas are reflected within your texts.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
To get the highest mark in any essay, particularly one done in exam condition is to answer the question and nothing but the question.

Mrmellow

HSC
Is this applicable to english advanced as well? Usage of context sometimes seems awkward in eng adv. Thanks for the replies :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)