Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By boredofstudiesuser1
  • 1 Post By bujolover

Thread: Story Idea Supply Low!!

HSC

Exclamation Story Idea Supply Low!!

Hi guys,
    I have a 1000 word creative (+ 300 word reflection - aah!!) due in 2 days. I think there is no specific unit relating to it. I literally have no established story idea (unless I plagiarise a plotline :/ ), which means I haven't started, so I'm screwed unless anyone has any ideas at all that can help me. We're supposed to use one of the images they have provided as a key location in the story, but I'm not going to bother attaching them - it doesn't matter, I just need an original plotline, and I'll merge it into a stimulus. It is a formal assessment, BTW, just so you know.

Please assist in this worthy cause! :P

HSC

Re: Story Idea Supply Low!!

Hey!

I know how you feel. I hate creative writing and am hopeless when it comes to storylines BUT our teacher explained to us that in a short word length - which I'd consider 1000 words to be, it's less about storyline and plot and INSTEAD it's more about the emotions, 5 senses and the change in a character. So what is best is to take a 15 minute moment (some short time period) and just elaborate on the change a character faces from that. Also, if an idea seems cliche, you can change the point of view used. So say there's a story about a single mum with her son, you can create the story in the perspective of some random person that overhears her conversation on the phone to a child-care centre or to her landlord (or something). Point is, you change the perspective and can re-use practically any 'storyline' - just show some sort of "change" in the perspective of the character you are writing for.

Not sure if this helps, but all the best
    bujolover likes this.

HSC

Re: Story Idea Supply Low!!

Quote Originally Posted by boredofstudiesuser1 View Post
    Hey!

I know how you feel. I hate creative writing and am hopeless when it comes to storylines BUT our teacher explained to us that in a short word length - which I'd consider 1000 words to be, it's less about storyline and plot and INSTEAD it's more about the emotions, 5 senses and the change in a character. So what is best is to take a 15 minute moment (some short time period) and just elaborate on the change a character faces from that. Also, if an idea seems cliche, you can change the point of view used. So say there's a story about a single mum with her son, you can create the story in the perspective of some random person that overhears her conversation on the phone to a child-care centre or to her landlord (or something). Point is, you change the perspective and can re-use practically any 'storyline' - just show some sort of "change" in the perspective of the character you are writing for.

Not sure if this helps, but all the best
    OMG, thank you sooooooooooo much, bosuser1!!!!! I was literally waiting for someone to reply, as I'm desperate. I think this is great advice... Actually, why didn't I think of that? Just write a cliché thing well. *face palm*

P.S. Sorry if I sound high. :P

Thread Information