Prescribed Texts (1 Viewer)

CoYLiE

I'm doing retreat from the global, and our teacher has been telling us to use both the shipping news and the bone people(using one of them as a related text), but then when i was talking to a senior marker, he said that he would not even look at the other text cos it didn't show any ability to find various texts...

I was just wondering what anyone else thinks, or are doing.

anti

aww.. baby raccoon ^^
HSC
DON'T DO IT!!!!!!

The marker's correct (well, he would have been in any case: markers are ALWAYS *cough* correct). Related texts are supposed to show how well you understand the topic by applying it to other texts. If you just use the prescribed texts you're not really showing you know anything, other than your inability to find related texts.

You've also mentioned the two prose fiction texts on the prescribed texts list. What text is your prescribed text? You shouldn't use two texts of the same type (prose fiction, poetry, film, etc) as related texts because that limits your ability to write widely; also, if they ask you specifically for a visual text you'll be stumped. I don't know if they can do that, but they did for our trial...

And if you were a marker, and you'd just read fifty thousand essays on The Shipping News, and then some person writes about it as a related text they'd be pulling their hair out. Besides, they already know it all too well - they've just read a bunch of essays on it - so you can get away with less. :)

In this case don't listen to your teacher. You're allowed to use prescribed texts as related texts, but they advise against it, and specifically NOT ones from YOUR elective.

Sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, I get scared when people say things like that - why bother risking a good mark?

CoYLiE

Haha... thanx
We stopped listening to our teacher basically after he told us we were doing retreat from the global... hehe... so it's been pretty much downhill from then on...
But yeh - thanx... i think someone else saying it makes it seem a lot more convincing than us trying to argue with our teacher for it...
so i guess it is down to some individual research and investigation... haha...
Thanx anti :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)