I don't know Belonging... (1 Viewer)

joshhunt

HSC
Check this out: I am actually a psychic! By the end of this post you will be slapping your forehead, wondering what is wrong with the youth of today…

Anyway!

So, it turns out that I have been failing English Adv. all year and I don't really know belonging that much. Others have been saying we have a crap teacher, but I don't think it is fair to blame it all on her…

So, I have been scouring the internet, my notes, As You Like It and all sorts of other resources to attempt to learn the course in a week. How much fun!

Anyway, 'I' have now got these points for my Belonging essay:

• Orlando does not fit in with his family in the court, but he does fit in (and belong) with all the exiles in the Forest of Arden
  • Relationship between Orlando and Adam. Adam is very loyal to Orlando, and seems to exist solely to link Orlando to the court and try to make him feel like he belongs in the court. This would explain why he vanishes later on...
  • Rosalind does not 'belong' in the court because her father was banished. She exiles herself to the Forest and dresses up as Ganymede to protect herself. In a dramatic fit of irony, Rosalind feel like she belongs more when she is dressed up as a guy because she falls in love with Orlando
  • Belonging to nature through their substance-driven way of life.

So all up I have like two main points and two smaller points. Is this enough (for just As You Like It)? How many different techniques would I use for each point? I was thinking two to three… Hopefully this would fill up one booklet.

Then I have two related texts, where I would have maybe two points on each (three techniques per point), and that would take up (a bit of) the second booklet (heres hoping!).

How does this all sound…? See, I told you! I have left this all a bit too late :/

lizajane91

HSC
"So all up I have like two main points and two smaller points. Is this enough (for just As You Like It)? How many different techniques would I use for each point? I was thinking two to three… Hopefully this would fill up one booklet".

unless you have massive handwriting and tend to waffle ^ this wont take up a booklet..might be useful to include some characters and their senses of belonging also...

joshhunt

HSC
might be useful to include some characters and their senses of belonging also...
Please explain? Isnt that what I just did? All the stuff about Adam and Orlando, Rosalind's love for crossdressing (and Orlando).

Majimaune

HSC
I'm not doing As You Like It but Romulus, My Father as a prescribed text so I can't help you out much there but what I can help with is this...

My English teacher recommended trying to find two different aspects of belonging and just work with them from there. What I have done is picked two different points in the story that show a sense of belonging and a sense of not belonging. It is easier to show something with an opposite.

These two things also run well with my selected texts for Belonging; Fight Club (movie, not book) and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Think about what you have to work with and pick corresponding points in the story. It serves the best and will help you to understand.

Also try looking at this, it helped me but then again, I'm fascinated by this stuff.
Belonging Definition | Definition of Belonging at Dictionary.com
Online Etymology Dictionary
Belonging Synonym | Synonym of Belonging and Antonym of Belonging at Thesaurus.com

lizajane91

HSC
oh haha sorry i was a bit vague..what i do is get about 5 aspects of belonging (ie belonging to a place) then i relate a few characters to that aspect, giving techniques and quotes etc etc...most of my related texts have similar aspects of belonging so i can then compare/contrast Jacques with Holden( from catcher in the rye) etc etc..

edit..pretty much what majimaune said

Last edited:

xFusion

HSC
Could someone tell me how many pages are actually in a booklet?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Usually its 8, and the spacing is much bigger than you'd expect.

xFusion

HSC
Oh okay thats cool :) We don't even use booklets at our school, just use writing pads lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)