how do you compare letters to alice and pride aqnd prejudice? (1 Viewer)

jellybelly59

HSC
through conflicting and similar values which can be seen in the context. Connections between texts are recognised through a variety of approaches i.e. the consideration of direct or indirect references, values, ideas and the use of language features and forms. What these connections have to establish is the notion that the meaning and understanding of a text is not static but is rather shaped and reshaped through its relationship with other texts in this case Pride and Prejudice and Letters to Alice.

So if you analyse, compare the texts and construct an extended response it's:

1.Thesis
2.examples of contexts leading to values to justify thesis and establish connections
3.quotes to support connections
4.techniques in quotes to relay connections
5.link to thesis and how it causes a shaping or reforming of meaning in BOTH texts.
6.Repeat 2-5 many times
7.Conclusion

All credit to my awesome english teacher for teaching me all of this :)

Hope i helped. :)

AdventureCookie

HSC
hey ...
we are studying letters and p&p in class as well ...
that helped a bit for a framework but could you expand a bit more on it cause im still a little confused XD thanks ....

thefinalshot

HSC
through conflicting and similar values which can be seen in the context. Connections between texts are recognised through a variety of approaches i.e. the consideration of direct or indirect references, values, ideas and the use of language features and forms. What these connections have to establish is the notion that the meaning and understanding of a text is not static but is rather shaped and reshaped through its relationship with other texts in this case Pride and Prejudice and Letters to Alice.

1.Thesis
2.examples of contexts leading to values to justify thesis and establish connections
5.link to thesis and how it causes a shaping or reforming of meaning in BOTH texts.
6.Repeat 2-5 many times
7.Conclusion

All credit to my awesome english teacher for teaching me all of this :)

Hope i helped. :)
Oh wow, this was really helpful! Thank you (and your awesome teacher :p)! I can see how LTA helps us understand PnP, because that's basically it's purpose, but I'm not really sure how PnP helps shape the meaning/understanding of LTA?

jellybelly59

HSC
Oh wow, this was really helpful! Thank you (and your awesome teacher :p)! I can see how LTA helps us understand PnP, because that's basically it's purpose, but I'm not really sure how PnP helps shape the meaning/understanding of LTA?
Well like you said its meant to do the vice versa. Ok, i too have some difficulty with this so i don't know how much this can really help you but from my interpretation of the rubric you can also have 'ideas' that assist in shaping meaning. One idea i found is that Pride and Prejudice essentially can be read as a critique of societal institutions and the mores - this perspective can also be read in LTA through the didactic writing and several quotes that are too lengthy to mention. What these does is it shows that certain values in human nature are transcedental such as the liberation of the self. The critiques also shows different values and ethical systems and make us appreciate the 20th and 21st century society's and its more open and to a small extent (hahaha) our 'egalitarian and equal(ER)' society. The contrast in values systems also make us feel empathetic towards those that were less fortune in P&P and allows us to truly understand the choices (both good and bad) of characters.

LOL hope i helped but this sounds like just rambling to me after i reread it.

(hahaha this was off the top of me head so *shrug*)

tanna

HSC
that was helpful! thank you. i have no idea what i'm doing in regards to letters to alice, and that helped immensely :)

vivienkn

HSC
  • Unlike Austen's novel which uses a developing plot centered around the growth of a relationship between the main two featured characters, Weldon finishes without a sense of it having a clear program of plot
  • This is mainly because Fay has chosen to write through the form of the epistolary novel. These letters lead the reader through reflections of particular themes but Weldon also diverges her other ares of interest
  • The chosen form of writing is also a big comparison. Weldon narrates the story through letters that a supposed aunt writes to her sisters daughter.
  • The immediate opening of the LTA shows that Weldon seems almost caught in midflight
  • The main theme of the work is a consideration of the value of reading Jane Austen in the 20th century, that is the early 1980s
  • Weldon breaks her book into a chapter format, the division of the book links the content as a whole - although it might not be blatantly obvious to the reader at first
  • Weldon's book is largely biased/subjective
  • Writing letters to communicate was largely part of Austen's world as it was one of the only ways to communicate through long distances. It seems difficult to understand the importance whilst living in the 21st century. On the contrary Weldon writes her novel on the brink of a technological evolution

I don't know if that helps but that was just a few points from my study notes :)

Vivien

piegohere

HSC
yeeaah my adv. english class is also doing comparative text of p & p and letters to alice,
however, its no simple essay or oral presentation, you have to compose letters, as alice, to aunt fay in letters to alice, in response to the letters in the book,
its an ass of an assignment, any ideas, or is anyone else currently doing this also??

HSV RULZ

HSC
Can anyone summarize chapter one (or Letter one) of Letters to Alice on first reading Jane Austen. PLEASE

I don’t get it and my teacher wants me to write a summary

OHH and if any one wants a summary of Pride and Prejudice i can give it to you (with character analysis and lots of other stuff)

Last edited:

brentian

HSC
Ok, so once you have copied and pasted this, then handed it in; I want you to go back and read that letter again, because it is really simple- you basically just think upon an extended metaphor and a few other basic literary techniques!

So, I have attatched a word document with my analysis in regards to the relationship/story, Lesson of the letter, Austen. Feel free to use as you wish, but please- if you want to do well- read and summarise yourself! I would suggest using the same summarising method I have- in regards to each of those headings! Cause they probably wont ask you to write an essay or summary of this chapter again in the exam, but they will ask you questions about it- and that summary wont do anything for you if you havent read it, nor understand it. Im sure your teacher would understand if you asked what it means by the way!:drink:

Hope this helps anyway!

Kindest Regards,

Brent

HSV RULZ

HSC
Ok, so once you have copied and pasted this, then handed it in; I want you to go back and read that letter again, because it is really simple- you basically just think upon an extended metaphor and a few other basic literary techniques!

So, I have attatched a word document with my analysis in regards to the relationship/story, Lesson of the letter, Austen. Feel free to use as you wish, but please- if you want to do well- read and summarise yourself! I would suggest using the same summarising method I have- in regards to each of those headings! Cause they probably wont ask you to write an essay or summary of this chapter again in the exam, but they will ask you questions about it- and that summary wont do anything for you if you havent read it, nor understand it. Im sure your teacher would understand if you asked what it means by the way!:drink:

Hope this helps anyway!

Kindest Regards,

Brent

thankz bro

ur tha man:uhhuh:

Steffi1812

HSC

1.Thesis
6.Repeat 2-5 many times
7.Conclusion
Thankyou!!!!!

hayleywestoby

HSC
does any one have a list of the connections in letters to alice and pride and prejudice..... put simply ... xx

sambo92

HSC
guys im so shit at this... definatly gonna fail.
anyone got a good teacher who finishes a sentance that can tell me HOW to connect and what i need to know'????

wantingtoknow

HSC
N/A
><" I'm in the same situation as you. I'm supposed to find values in P+P and L.T.A, and compare them somehow but I'm struggling to find them. :( My exam is in 4 days as well :(

sambo92

HSC
ohh i think we did values...

ok i have values here by my dumb teacher as:
- role of women
- marriage
- legal rights of women
- social class
- money/wealth
ability to make intelligent choices (women)

Diamonde

HSC
ZOMG!!! Assessment tomorrow and I'm totally DEAD!! I just got Letters to Alice and there's no way I'm gonna read it in time (that and I really don't like it). If it's not too much trouble, could someone pretty, pretty please (with sugar and icecream and cherries) give me a couple of language forms or features that make connections between Pride and Prejudice and Letters2Alice?

thanks so much to whoever answers this. You shall be dubbed queen (or king) of... um... whatever you want to be dubbed queen or king of by me. (that didn't even make sense)

THANKS!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)