HELP! King Richard III & Looking for Richard (1 Viewer)

Clairelouisecowie

HSC
Uni Grad
Hey Guys! I'm studying for my trials currently and got a essay question to practice which has completely destroyed my whole life. The question is:

" In a comparative study of King Richard III and Looking for Richard, how does textual form impact the depiction of Values? "

I'm having a hard time trying to write this essay, i understand what the question is asking but can't think of what to base my paragraphs on in the main body of my essay and my mind is about to explode from it.

Your help will be massively appreciated!

jackisalright

HSC
N/A
Power
Constructed through language
Theatre- The way in which the play is composed, who meets whom what information characters have and others don’t, how audience is positioned in relations to this knowledge
Dialogue- How the power is constructed by the language choices of the characters (as determined by Shakespeare as the author.
The great chain of being details a strict, religious hierarchical structure of all matter and life, believed to have been decreed by God. The chain starts from God and progresses downward to angels, demons (fallen/renegade angels), stars, moon, King, princes, nobles, men, wild animals , domesticated animals, trees, other pants… etc.
Providentialism is a belief that God’s will is evident in all occurrences, and its application to the social order and world events. It can further be described as an article of faith that the power of God (or Providence) is so complete that humans cannot equal his abilities, or fully understand his actions
Looking for Richard
Constructed through language (film and editing)
Secularity is the state of being separate from religion, or not being exclusively allied or against any particular religion
Egalitarianism – thought that favours equality for all people.
Relativism – is the concept that points of view have no absolute truth or validity having only relative, subjective values according to differences in perception and consideration
Humanism - is a movement of philosophy and ethics that emphasize the value of agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefer individual though and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over established doctrine or faith.
Amorality – The absence of morality
Morality – is the differentiation of intentions, decisions, and actions between those that are “good” (or right) and those that are “bad” (or wrong)

Use these values to base your ideas on.

sophie109

HSC
Definitely base your paragraphs on common values in the two texts then show how Shakespeare and Pacino made deliberate decisions to compose in a certain textual form i.e. their audiences. Their choices (especially Pacino's) makes their texts more accessible to their audiences, and therefore, their values are conveyed more effectively.

You could also show how the values are interpreted differently in each text by different audiences. For example, the value of power and the pursuit of power would be influenced by the divine right of kings & the great chain of being in Shakespeare's time (Elizabethan Era), whereas Postmodernist thought dominates contemporary society (e.g. we search for Richard's motives and often try to find reasons to empathise with such an evil character because we believe 'truth' is relative).

Whatever you do, link it back to context and you'll probably be fine :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)