Dalloway/The Hours essay help (1 Viewer)

lohtus

HSC
N/A
Hi I am having trouble structuring my essay for Dalloway/The Hours
I am still unsure of whether I should be exploring both The Hours and Mrs Dalloway in the same paragraph or exploring them separately. Also is the scaffold for my essay okay?

Intro

Issue 1:Dalloway- mental illness
Septimus and attitudes towards shell shock

Issue 1: The Hours-mental illness
Richard, Laura and Virginia and linking their suffering of mental illness with Septimus to draw parallels

Issue 2: Dalloway-gender constructs/role of women
Clarissa Dalloway feels the need to be a "perfect hostess" feels confined in society as a result of social expectations

Issue 2: The Hours-gender constructs/role of women
Laura Brown's failure to fulfill domestic roles/act as a mother -->linked to Clarissa Dalloway
Clarissa Vaughan paralleled with Clarissa Dalloway as they both feel the need to be the "perfect hostess" and are living an unfulfilled life due to societal expectations

Conclusion

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thank you :haha:

syllabusnotes

HSC
would love some advice on the same topic if you have any - particularly anything pertaining to relationships in the texts

tigerian

HSC
N/A
Re: would love some advice on the same topic if you have any - particularly anything pertaining to relationships in the texts

There is some information in your private mail

HSCReady

HSC
Hi there!

Your issues/text details are good, but you haven't created a clear thesis. I'd say, to make it easier for yourself, create a thesis which will be the overarching argument of your entire essay. So perhaps your thesis could be something like "the texts explore how men and women struggle through societal expectations, and how these issues persist through time". (That's just an example of something you could do). Once you have a thesis, the rest of your essay works to prove that your thesis is right (as in, justify your thesis through textual details). You state your thesis in the introduction, and your issues/paragraphs will serve as justification for your thesis. And of course, the issues/paragraphs will relate to your thesis. Throughout your paragraphs, you should be linking back to your thesis (and the essay question) to keep showing the markers that you have sustained your answer, and have sustained justification for your thesis.
Hopefully this helps. Good luck! :)

WriteWayUp

HSC
Uni Grad

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)