Hamlet Bondi Pavilion (1 Viewer)

McBean88

HSC
does anyone remember the ending? did Fortinbras come out? did he even appear in the play:confused:
i get the feeling they cut him out completely. i don't remember seeing him ><

astroe

HSC
I think my English teacher went to see this on his own to see if it was good enough for us to go on an excursion to.

He said something along the lines of "It was so awful, I felt like just walking out."

Maybe the lack of Fortinbras is why. :p

So, in conclusion, the results are inconclusive.
But hey, that's my two cents.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
our school was suppose to go to this, but we pulled out in the last minute :(

McBean88

HSC
just found my notes =D
and yep Fortinbras never turned up.
hang on...that doesn't make sense... i thought they were trying to interpret the play as a political drama...

McBean88

HSC
yeah but i heard how they adapted it. i am actually glad i didn't waste my time seeing it.
hmm i dunno. it was a pretty interesting adaptation-very postmodern =]
i was thinking of using it as a related but i need to watch it again =[

jackc91

rumpleshit
HSC
I went and saw it, wasnt great. Thought it weird that play was set in Nazi Denmark and Gertrude and Claudius were bikies. I think the whole Nazi thing was getting at Denmark being an 'unweeded garden', 'prison' etc. Didnt work for me.

jackc91

rumpleshit
HSC
As for Fortinbras, yeh he wasnt in it, but they still referred to him. They have to cut some parts out otherwise play would be over 4 hours, i guess for their purposes Fortinbras wasnt essential.

What did you guys think about Ophelia being pregnant?

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
As for Fortinbras, yeh he wasnt in it, but they still referred to him. They have to cut some parts out otherwise play would be over 4 hours, i guess for their purposes Fortinbras wasnt essential.

Pregnant? K weird lol.
There really ins't a need to watch a play when there are more accurate and edited film versions. :)

Tully B.

Green = procrastinating
HSC

The idea that Ophelia was pregnant is derived largely from her crazy banter about sex towards the end of the play. It is more common, however, to believe that she was referring to things she hadn't done.

EDIT: I've seen a movie where there's a flashback to Ophelia and Hamlet having sex, and another where Hamlet touches Ophelia's stomach. Though I don't personally think it was Shakespeare's intention to have her portrayed as pregnant, it might explain why Hamlet was so crazy when he found out that Ophelia had died.

Last edited:

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC
I don't really understand this module. Are we meant to refer to other adaptations of Hamlet? Or is it the different readings?
Different critical readings. People just watch adaptations either because they couldn't be bothered to read the play or that they want to visualise the events to understand them more clearly.

HSC
Pregnant Ophelia worked for me. It was quite subtle and well done, adding a good layer of meaning.

However disappointed about the Nazism theme... wasn't carried through at all. I was hoping that they would integrate it into the plot somehow.

Also, I got a female Hamlet. It was kind of off-putting, didn't really work. She moved too gracefully, not the quite masculine intellectual.

On the syllabus requirements...
"This module requires students to explore and evaluate a specific text and its reception in a range of contexts. It develops students’ understanding of questions of textual integrity."

They are still pushing for critical readings and how the text has been interpreted in contexts throughout history. Although there is also a push on 'textual integrity'- construction, content, language and features of the text.

hope this helps.
any thoughts...?

jellybelly59

HSC
On the syllabus requirements...
"This module requires students to explore and evaluate a specific text and its reception in a range of contexts. It develops students’ understanding of questions of textual integrity."

They are still pushing for critical readings and how the text has been interpreted in contexts throughout history. Although there is also a push on 'textual integrity'- construction, content, language and features of the text.

hope this helps.
any thoughts...?
incorrect, it is how critical readings/adaptationshave shaped your own personal perception. and even then adaptations/critical readings are just a bonus. The essence of the module is rather to analyse it's textual integrity, construction,content, language and features of the text. It is all based on your personal valuing of the text as a work of literary art.

jellybelly59

HSC
Ah thanks.

But why have I done nothing on textual integrity at school? The first time I heard of the term was in tutoring but I felt stupid asking what it was.
textual integrity is extremely important. Maybe your teacher hasn't correctly covered the module. From what i hear if you don't have it then you definitely won't get within the A to B+ range

Shae92

HSC
Hey guys

the play was actually pretty good. it wasn't about sticking 100% to the play, because in cae you havent noticed its a PLAY and its open to interpretation.
so what if it was postmodern? so what if opehlia was pregnant? the point of this module is to look at different views on how the play could be presented to the audience.

shinigami66

HSC
so you mean, the module is now putting emphasis on pretty much the techniques eh?

beve

Jesus
HSC
Different critical readings. People just watch adaptations either because they couldn't be bothered to read the play or that they want to visualise the events to understand them more clearly.
Rubbish.

Prescriptions:

This module requires students to engage with and develop an informed personal understanding of their prescribed text. Through critical analysis and evaluation of its language, content and construction, students will develop an appreciation of the textual integrity of their prescribed text. They refine their own understanding and interpretations of the prescribed text and critically consider these in the light of the perspectives of others. Students explore how context influences their own and others’ responses to the text and how the text has been received and valued.

ie. Develop your own reading; and compare and contrast it with others' readings.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)